If you are suddenly feeling that your system is starting to work slow or the RAM is not sufficient to run the tasks then you can always use the hard drive on your PC to act as Virtual RAM. By this, the computer will utilize the space allocated in the hard drive to run as RAM and perform the tasks using its memory. This will give a little boost to the performance of your PC. So if you are looking for the method to increase RAM using Hard Drive then keep reading this article.
Use Hard Disk As RAM For Boosting Performance
Now before setting the hard disk as RAM or Virtual memory, make sure it has sufficient space.
1. Head to My Computer on the desktop and click the right button on the mouse and select Properties.
Or head over to Control Panel>System.
2. In this System windows, on the left side panel, select Advanced System Settings.
3. Now a pop-up window will appear, go to the Advanced tab and here select Settings under the Performance option.
4. Another pop-up Performance Options menu will appear and again you have to select the Advanced tab and then select Change.
5. After this, you will see the Virtual memory settings, uncheck the box at the top of this window saying ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drives‘.
6. This will unlock the rest of the options below. Now, all you have to do is select the desired hard drive in order to make it as a Virtual RAM. You can also use the custom size you want to be used in that drive or select the option of System managed size. If you want to keep any drive from using as Virtual memory then select the No paging option. After making the desired settings select Set.
Once all this is done, tap OK, restart your PC and the settings you made will be saved. With this, you have successfully increased RAM in your PC using Hard disk providing a performance boost to your PC.
Also Read: How To Setup Dual Monitors In Windows 10
The steps and method for using the hard drive as RAM are similar across different versions of Windows like 7, 8, 8.1 and even 10. So, go ahead and utilize the free space by turning it into RAM.