As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When we talk about the best office suite software, the first two names that come across our mind are Google Docs and Microsoft Office. However, Google Docs has an edge over Microsoft Office when it comes to tools and document layout, file formats, online collaboration, and autosave. That’s why Google Docs has left Microsoft Office behind to become the most popular office suite software in recent times. The best feature that Google Docs offers is that it can handle almost all major file formats, even Word files. So, in this article, we are going to tell you how you can import and convert Word files into Google Docs.
Steps To Import Word File To Google Docs
1. Open Google Docs and select the File Picker icon at the middle right corner.
2. Next, select the Upload tab.
3. Now, you can either click on Select a file from your device or directly drag and drop your Word file.
4. With this, the file is uploaded successfully.
Note: Those who upload files directly to the Google Docs don’t have to convert it, as it gets converted directly while importing. However, users who upload files to their Google Drive or someone who already has a Word document in their Drive can follow the steps mentioned below to convert a Word file into Google Docs.
Recommended: How To Remove Slideshow From A Website
Steps To Convert Existing Word Docs To Google Docs
- Go to Google Drive and find your already uploaded Word file.
2. Now, right click on the file to open a new menu. In that hover your mouse on Open with and select Google Docs.
You can also double click on the Word file to preview it and then select Open with Google Docs or use the drop-down next to it and select Google Docs.
3. The file will open in Google Docs. Now, select File> Save as Google Docs.
6. A copy of the converted Google Docs file will be saved in your Drive. You can use it and delete the file in Word format if desired.
Automatically Convert Word To Google Docs While Uploading New Files
Using the below steps the new Word files will be automatically converted to Google Doc.
- Open Google Drive and click on the gear icon and select Settings.
2. A new window will appear. Here check the box next to Convert uploads, that says “Convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format” and then press the Done button.
3. Now, find and click New.
4. After that, click on File upload.
4. Now, you can either select your Word file and click open or you can use drag and drop feature.
5. The uploaded file gets automatically converted into Google Docs format.
Recommended: How To Use Long Dash In Google Docs
Using Google Docs Smartphone App
Yes, you can do also convert Word to Google Doc with the help of your smartphone. We are using Android for demonstration propose but you can also use iOS as the steps are the same for both the OS.
- Install the Google Docs app from the Play Store or App Store.
- Once installed open the app. Tap on Folder Icon on the top right corner to add a new file.
3. A new tab will appear asking for Open from Google Drive or Device Storage. Select your desired option.
Note: you will get this option only in Android. In iOS, it automatically goes to your device storage. If you want to upload a file from Google Drive then you can do it manually from the menu of the app.
4. Now, select your Word file.
5. After you select your Word file, it will open in Google Docs. Now tap on three dots on the newly uploaded Word file from the home screen of Google Docs app as shown in the picture. A new option menu will open, select Save as Google Docs.
You can tap on the uploaded word file and tap on three dots on the extreme top right corner. Now, tap on Office Compatibility mode>SAVE AS GOOGLE DOCS.
6. The Word file will be saved as a Google Docs.
Benefits Of Converting Word Into Google Docs
When we think of benefits that Google Docs has over Word, the first thing that comes across our mind is Translating Documents. Yes, Google Docs provides a feature of translating a document into another language using its online tool which is about 90% accurate. The Word file works fine in Google Docs but if you want to translate a document into another language then you must convert your word file into Google Docs first.
Google Docs is a web-based app and hence works on cross-platform, which means that it can be used on any platform be it, Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS. Microsoft Office, on the other hand, works only on Windows and Mac. Google Docs provides more accessibility to its users anytime anywhere with its full features, and that too for free.
Recommended: How To Convert PowerPoint Slide To GIF
The Word files work fine in Google Docs even without converting them. You can view or edit the Word files in it. However, to use full features like translating the documents or using the Script Editor you must convert the Word into Google Docs. You can either directly import the Word file to Google Docs or you can convert the files from Google Drive itself. Both the methods are explained in this article which will help you to convert existing or new Word files to Google Docs.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.