Did you have accidentally deleted your WhatsApp messages? Don’t panic!
You can recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone or Android by following the steps mentioned below. You can also do so even if you don’t have a backup. In case you have a backup then it’s quite easy to restore it to get the messages back.
However, if you don’t have it then you will have to use 3rd party software. We have tried a few of them and selected the best for this tutorial.
So, let’s get going!
How To Recover WhatsApp Messages When You Have Backup
Go through this section if you have backed up your chats using the backup feature of the app; otherwise, skip to the next one below.
Just note that if you stopped the last WhatsApp backup while it was in progress, it got damaged and you won’t be able to use it for the recovery.
And if your WhatsApp got stuck, read here to learn how to fix it.
To take the WhatsApp Chat Backup in iOS follow the steps given below:
- Open WhatsApp > Go to Settings
- Under Settings select Chats
- In Chats Select Chat Backup
- Under Chat Backup Select Back Up Now to backup your WhatsApp conversations to iCloud
- You can also set automatic backup of your chats by selecting Auto Backup and choosing Daily, monthly or weekly. Depending on your choice your WhatsApp chat will be backed up automatically to iCloud monthly, weekly, or daily.
Now if you have the backup of your WhatsApp Chat history, you can easily recover deleted WhatsApp messages by following these steps:
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your iPhone
- Reinstall it from the App Store.
- Once it’s done, you will get an option to restore the chats from the backup on iCloud.
To take a WhatsApp backup on Android, follow this guide.
To recover deleted WhatsApp messages from backup, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Apps.
- Under Settings select WhatsApp.
- Select Clear Data to delete all the WhatsApp data.
- After clearing the data, open WhatsApp and enter the number that you use in your WhatsApp.
- On tapping Ok, WhatsApp will automatically detect the Chat backup and give an option to restore.
- Click on Restore.
- Messages will start restoring. Tap on Continue when finished.
- Give a WhatsApp name and tap Next.
- WhatsApp will initialize. Tap Continue when it’s done.
- All the deleted chats will show up on your WhatsApp.
If you take a backup in order to switch from Android to iPhone, check this guide to find out how to restore the backup on your iPhone.
The above methods work great if you have a backup. But what if you don’t? Well, we have got you covered.
How To Restore WhatsApp Messages Without Backup
As mentioned earlier, for this, you’ll have to use 3rd party software. There are a lot of them available but we have selected the best after testing them in the list below.
The best thing about all the software apart from their data recovery functionality is that they all have a free trial version which you can use and preview if it is able to detect the lost data you are looking for. Of course, you will have to purchase the software to recover that lost data.
Before you start, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. Without iTunes, these recovery apps won’t work.
1. Stellar iPhone Data Recovery
It allows you to restore deleted data directly from your iPhone, iCloud, or iTunes backup with a premium subscription. It also has a free edition but that only allows you to scan and preview data, not recover it.
For this tutorial, I recovered my WhatsApp messages on iPhone using an iTunes backup file on my Windows PC. The process is the same as using an iPhone/iCloud backup.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Download and install the Stellar iPhone Data Recovery software on your computer and then open it and enter your license key.
- Once you’re done, choose the data recovery option that you’re going to be using.
- Aftward, you’ll see a list of all the data types available to be recovered. Uncheck everything, except Messages & Chats.
- Now, click Next at the bottom of the window.
- If like me, you’re using an iTunes backup, select the backup you want to use then click Scan.
- After Stellar iPhone Data Recovery is finished scanning your device, it’ll display all of the WhatsApp messages and other chats on your device. Click WhatsApp to view your WhatsApp messages alone.
- If you only want to see your deleted messages, click the Deleted Only option at the top of the window to view them.
- Click any contact on the list and you’ll see the number and conversation displayed on the right of your screen.
- Select the WhatsApp messages you want to recover then click Save and then Ok to save them to your desktop.
- Open the folder where you saved your WhatsApp messages, then open the WhatsApp folder and double click the WhatsApp HTML file.
- The HTML file will open in a browser and show you your downloaded WhatsApp messages.
Stellar doesn’t only work for WhatsApp messages on iPhone, it’s also a great way to recover deleted notes on your iPhone.
Download Stellar iPhone Data Recovery now and recover deleted WhatsApp messages.
2. FoneLab For iOS
Next on our list is FoneLab by Aiseesoft. Another awesome deleted WhatsApp data recovery tool with which you can recover lost messages from the iOS device, iTunes backup, or iCloud backup.
You can easily install and scan your device for deleted data. After the scan, select WhatsApp conversation and click Recover.
Purchase Fonelab or get a Free Trial Version: Available for Mac only.
Note: The other two software’s I am mentioning below can be considered by Android users. However, the Android phone should be rooted in this software to recover deleted WhatsApp data.
Obviously, they all can recover lost WhatsApp messages on iPhone even without jailbreak as well.
The procedure to install and scan the device for lost data for all the software is more or less the same.
For a detailed process, you can refer to the Stellar Product above as I don’t want the article to be unnecessarily lengthy.
With Wondershare you can select the type of data you want to scan.
For example, upfront you will get a screen where you can uncheck all except WhatsApp & Attachments and Click Start Scan as shown below.
After the scan is completed, select the conversation and Click Recover to Computer.
You can also check out our detailed review of Dr. Fone.
Or you can get Dr. Fone for Android:
The software is available for Windows as well as Mac users.
4. EaseUS MobiSaver
EaseUs Mobisaver is another great data recovery software to use to recover deleted WhatsApp messages. EaseUS Mobisaver is available for both Android and iPhone. You can use either version on either a Mac or Windows PC.
Read our detailed EaseUS Mobisaver Review to learn more about its features, and its free and premium editions.
To recover data on your Android without a PC, download the EaseUS Mobisaver Android app. The free version allows you to recover up to twenty files. If you want to recover more then you’d need to purchase the premium version for $5.99.
It’s important to note that your Android needs to be rooted for effective data recovery. Once it’s done, you’re ready to go.
Here’s how to use EaseUS Mobisaver to restore WhatsApp Messages on Android:
- Download and install EaseUS Mobisaver to your desktop PC. Open it and enter your license key.
- Afterward, connect your Android device then click start to begin establishing a connection
- During the process, you’ll need to turn on USB Debugging on your Android.
- After you’ve done that, you’ll need to accept the EaseUS Mobisaver Superuser request by tapping Allow on your Android.
- Once all of that is done, EaseUS Mobisaver will begin scanning your phone. The time it takes will depend on the size of your phone’s data.
- After the scan, your results will be displayed. Select the Messages category to preview your available and deleted WhatsApp messages.
- Select the ones you want and click Recover to save them to your PC.
- Afterward, choose where you want to save the files and click OK to save them to your PC.
Here’s a video showing how to use EaseUS Mobisaver to recover your WhatsApp messages:
Get EaseUS Mobisaver today!
These were the top WhatsApp data recovery software that will definitely retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages from your device. We will update this list if we find any other good software for this task.
The best way, of course, is to have a backup. With it, you can even move your WhatsApp from iOS to Android; read this post to learn how to do it. And you can move from Android to iOS in a similar way.
With a backup, you can even restore the archives of your WhatsApp stories.
If you have any questions about how to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages or anything else, ask us in the comments section below.
Do you have experience with any other WhatsApp message recovery software apart from these? If you are looking for more data recovery software for an iPhone, check out this list of solutions we found for you.