As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
With WhatsApp being the go-to messaging app for over a billion users, it becomes imperative to take care of your privacy. Hackers can gain unauthorized access to your WhatsApp backup on iCloud or Google Drive. As the backup is not encrypted, anyone with access to your Cloud or Google Drive account can read your messages. To prevent that from happening, all you can do is stop WhatsApp backup. In this tutorial, we have listed the ways to disable WhatsApp backup for both Android and iPhone.
Also Read: How To Export Contacts On WhatsApp
Stop WhatsApp Backup On Android
If we talk about Android, WhatsApp messages are backed up on Google Drive. It really becomes necessary to stop the backup sometimes, mainly in cases where we are sharing some confidential information. Keeping this fact in mind here are some methods through which we can do so, using WhatsApp Android app.
Method 1: Using WhatsApp
Using WhatsApp for preventing WhatsApp backup is really easy and doesn’t take much time. Just follow the steps given below.
- Launch WhatsApp on your device and tap on 3 dots at the top right.
- After that, Select the Settings option.
- Now tap on Chats option under Settings.
- In the next step, select Chat backup.
- Now in Google Drive settings section, tap on Back up to Google Drive.
- Now Finally, select Never option.
With these steps, your WhatsApp backup will be stopped from automatically backing up to Google Drive. However, if you want to start the backup again, follow the same steps and choose the option according to your choice, like daily or weekly.
Method 2: Using Google Drive
Another simple method to turn off the WhatsApp backup is by making the use of Google Drive. The following are the steps to make this method work.
- Open Google Drive app on your device and tap on the three-line icon at the top left of the screen.
- Now select the Backups from the various options available.
- In the next step, click on the three-dot icon available in front of the WhatsApp Backup.
- Now select Turn off backup. With this, the backup will be stopped.
You can start the backup again if you want. For that, the steps are given below.
- Launch the WhatsApp and tap on the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen.
- Now tap on Settings.
- After that, tap on Chats and then Chat backup.
- Now if you try to back up your chats by selecting the Back Up option, a yellow window will appear and ask for permission.
- Tap on that window to give permission for Back up.
Finally, your backup has started again.
Prevent WhatsApp Backup On iCloud
In the case of an iPhone, WhatsApp data is backed up on iCloud. But as the messages and other data that we backup are not encrypted, it is better to prevent them from being backed up.
Method 1: Using WhatsApp
The steps to prevent WhatsApp backup using the app are given below.
- Launch WhatsApp and go to the Settings tab at the bottom right corner.
- Now select the Chats option.
- In the next step, tap on Chat Backup.
- Now, tap on Auto Backup and select Off.
Now your WhatsApp data will stop backing up on iCloud. Although you can turn on the backup option whenever you want.
Method 2: Using iPhone’s Settings
There is one more way to do so. For this, you don’t need to open up your WhatsApp account. Follow the steps given to disable WhatsApp backup on iPhone.
- Open your iPhone Settings and tap on your name at the top.
- Now, select iCloud.
- Come down until you see WhatsApp. Toggle it to OFF.
Doing either one of the above will disable your WhatsApp data from uploading to iCloud.
Also Read: WhatsApp Pros And Cons
Now You Know How To Stop WhatsApp Backup
Everything has some pros as well as some cons, the same case goes with WhatsApp backup.
WhatsApp backup is important as it helps us recover deleted messages on WhatsApp. However, as we exchange personal and confidential information on WhatsApp, turning off backup seems to be a good idea for security purposes. What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.