With WhatsApp being the go-to messaging app for over a billion users, it becomes imperative to take care of your privacy. WhatsApp gives the option to take backup of chats so that you can recover them easily if you lose or delete them accidentally. Hackers and other spying apps can gain unauthorized access to your WhatsApp backup on iCloud or Google Drive. As the backup is not encrypted anyone with access to cloud account can read your messages. To prevent that from happening you can stop WhatsApp backup. In this tutorial, we have listed the steps to disable WhatsApp cloud backup for both Android and iPhone.
Stop WhatsApp Backup
On iPhone, the WhatsApp backup is done on iCloud while it is backed up on Google Drive for Android devices. You can easily disable the backup using the method below.
Disable WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive
- Open WhatsApp and tap on 3 dots at the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Tap on Chats under Settings.
- Next, select Chat backup.
- In Google Drive settings section, tap on Back up to Google Drive.
- Finally, select Never.
With this, WhatsApp backup will be stopped from automatically backing up to Google Drive.
Prevent WhatsApp Backup on iCloud
- Launch WhatsApp and go to Settings tab.
- Select Chats.
- Now, tap on Chat Backup.
- Next, tap on Auto Backup and select Off.
- Open Settings and tap on your name at the top.
- Now, select iCloud.
- Come down until you see WhatsApp. Toggle it to OFF.
Doing either one of the above will disable your WhatsApp data from uploading to iCloud.
WhatsApp backup is important to recover deleted messages. However, as we exchange personal and confidential information on WhatsApp, turning off backup seems to be a good idea for security purposes. What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments.