With WhatsApp being the most popular instant messaging app most of our online conversations happen there. It becomes imperative to have a copy of the contacts in case of any mishappening which leads to losing your WhatsApp connections. To be prepared for such mishap we are here with this tutorial, in which we will share different ways to export WhatsApp contacts details in a CSV file.
The first method can only be used by Android users and the second one is applicable for all PC or Mac users. So let us get started.
Method 1: Export WhatsApp Contacts on Android
1. Visit Play Store and install Export Contacts For WhatsApp app.
2. Launch the app after successful installation. Tap on Sign In to proceed ahead. Use your Google account to log in to the app.
3. The app will scan your contacts and filter out those on WhatsApp and show the statistics on the next screen.
4. Next, tap on Export Contacts to save all the WhatsApp contacts in a CSV file. The limitation with the free version of the app is that you can only export up to 100 contacts. Tap on Export 100 to continue.
There is also an option to View Contacts before you actually decide to export them.
5. Finally, type the desired filename and tap on Export.
In a matter of few seconds, CSV file with the name and phone number of the contacts will be saved in WhatsApp Contact Export folder. If you want to transfer contacts to your PC then you can either email the file to yourself or manually do it using USB connection.
Method 2: Save WhatsApp Contacts on PC or Mac
In case you don’t own an Android device or the desired WhatsApp account is used on iPhone then you can use a computer to get the WhatsApp contacts.
We will be using a bookmarklet which is created by Amit Agarwal who is the founder of Labnol – a popular how-to guides blog.
1. Drag and drop the below link(bookmarklet) into the bookmarks toolbar area to add it to the browser.
2. After it is added, visit WhatsApp web(web.whatsapp.com) on the same browser.
3. Next, click on the Menu icon and then select Bookmarks followed by Save WhatsApp Contacts to computer while you are on the WhatsApp web tab.
4. Tap on Cancel in the dialog box to get the list of your contacts. The next web page will show you the contacts details which can be saved as a web page(HTML file) or copy paste the details to a file manually.
The only drawback of this method is that it won’t provide the details of the contacts with whom you don’t have any conversation.
These were the two methods to export WhatsApp contacts and save them on PC/Mac or smartphone. Both of them have their own drawbacks so you will have to go with the one that works for you the best. Which one are you going to use? Let us know in the comments.