As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Notes app on the iOS device is a quick way to store information. Personally, I have saved my bank account number, Credit card details and other confidential information. If you also save such information in the Notes app then it becomes imperative to secure them. As anyone who uses your iPhone can access and view your private information in the Notes. To help you with this, we will share an easy way to lock notes on iPhone/iPad with a password and Touch ID. So, let us get on with it.
Recommended: How to lock Apps in iPhone
Lock Notes on iPhone
There is no need to install any app or jailbreak your iOS device to password protect Notes. Apple made this feature available officially in iOS with iOS 9.3. But not many are aware of this handy feature.
Here’s how it works.
1. Launch Notes app and open the desired existing note or create a new one.
2. Tap on the Share icon at the top right corner and select Lock Note.
3. Next, you should see a Set Password screen. Type the desired password and verify it. It is highly recommended to enter a Hint for your password. In case you forget the password set for locking notes then the Hint will turn out to be a lifesaver for you while resetting the password.
Note: The password you set here will be the same for all the other Notes you lock.
4. You might want to keep the Use Touch ID switch turned On. It will allow you to use your fingerprint to lock/unlock Notes. If you don’t want that additional option then toggle it to Off.
5. Tap on Done at the top right of the screen. Now, the password is set and the lock is added to that particular note but the note will be unlocked at this point.
6. Tap on the unlock icon to lock it.
That’s all there is to it! The beauty about this is that the locked notes will be password protected across all devices/platforms. For example, the notes will be locked on Mac and iCloud too and you will need to enter the password to view them.
Moreover, deleting locked notes will require the password.
Similarly, you can select other Notes you want to secure and lock them using the same procedure. The only thing you won’t have to do in order to lock other Notes is set a password. They all will use the same password set above. You will have to enter the Notes password set above or use Touch ID(if enabled) to add a lock to other Notes. After adding the lock, tap on the unlock icon to lock them.
Unlock and View Locked Notes
1. Now, in order to unlock and view the locked Notes, open the locked note tap on View Note or lock icon at the top right.
2. Next, select Enter Password. Type the Notes password and tap on Ok. Or directly use Touch ID and the note will be ready to view.
If at some point you wish to change the password for locked Notes or turn on/off Touch ID to lock/unlock Notes then you can follow the below steps.
Change Locked Notes Password on iOS device
1. Open Settings app and select Notes.
2. Under Notes, select Password.
3. Next, Select Change Password…
Here, you can also toggle Use Touch ID on/off as desired.
4. Enter the previous password, new password and verify.
5. Type in the Hint and select Done at the top right corner.
With this, the password for existing locked Notes and other Notes you lock will be changed.
We hope that you were able to lock Notes on iPhone/iPad with a password. If you feel that someone you know might benefit from this article then share it with them.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.