This Instagram tutorial will comprehensively cover everything about Instagram notifications. How to turn on or off notifications in Instagram? How to mute Instagram Direct chats notifications for all conversations as well as for particular conversation? What does mute notifications mean under each contact in Instagram direct ? How to get push notifications of new posts from a specific Instagram user? and even more. A lot of how to’s related to Instagram push notifications and all of them will be covered here.
Instagram Push Notifications
To start with, if you are doing something important or would like to improve productivity at work, it is better to turn off WhatsApp notifications(if you use of course), turn off Chrome desktop notifications, disable Facebook notifications on smartphone and turn off Instagram push notifications which we discuss in this article.
The steps and screenshots which I will be sharing in this article are from Instagram iOS App(iPhone). However, the procedure remains the same for Android and Windows as well with negligible variation.
How to Turn On/Off Instagram Push Notifications
1. Open Instagram App and tap on profile icon at bottom right corner. I get my profile picture instead of profile icon(notice in the screenshot) in my account because I manage multiple Instagram accounts from the same App.
2. Your profile will show up. Select Settings(gear icon) at top right corner.
3. Options screen will appear. Scroll down to Settings and select Push Notification Settings.
4. Under Notifications, you will find a lot of options which you use to customize the push notifications. By default, push notifications are turned on for all the activities.
The options are self-explanatory and you should definitely not face any problems while configuring them.
For instance, if you want to turn off push notifications for Likes and comments on your photos or posts then Select Off under respective sections(by default From Everyone is selected) as shown in the image below.
You will also find an option to disable push notifications for Live Videos on the same screen. Similarly, you can go ahead and change other push notification settings if desired.
You can anytime turn on notifications by following the same procedure but selecting From Everyone or From People I Follow instead of Off.
How to mute Instagram Direct conversation alerts?
Instagram Direct is a feature where one can share photos, videos and messages privately with the specific user(s). With each message, you get a notification on your mobile. To turn it off, scroll down under the same Notifications screen where you were earlier at the 4th step and select Off under Instagram as shown in the screenshot below.
To turn it off, scroll down under the same Notifications screen where you were earlier at the 4th step and select Off under Instagram as shown in the screenshot below.
With this, message notifications will be disabled for Instagram direct for all users. What if you only want to mute notifications from a specific user or users. Here’s how you can achieve that.
How to mute Instagram Direct messages notifications for a particular user or conversation?
1. Open Instagram App and select Instagram Direct icon at top right corner.
2. All the Instagram private conversation will show up. Select the one which you want to mute.
3. On selecting chat, the conversation will open. To mute select Options icon at top right corner.
4. On top, toggle Mute Notifications to On.
Push Notifications for that user or group will be turned off. You can similarly mute for other users as well if desired.
You can unmute the user whenever desired by using the same method and toggle Mute Notifications to Off.
What does mute Instagram Notifications mean?
Mute notifications in Instagram Direct or turning off Instagram notifications means that you won’t get push notifications on your smartphone when you have not opened that app. Thus you won’t get distracted.
Please note that the messages will still be delivered to you or the other person whom you have muted. Similarly for all other activities like comments and likes on your posts. They will happen but you won’t be alerted via Push notifications.
However, when you open the app you can view all the notifications including Instagram Direct notifications for new messages.
Let’s move on to next how-to.
How to turn on Instagram Notifications for a particular account?
Do you want to follow a particular Instagram user closely and get push notifications whenever they add a new photo or post? Instagram provides an option for that.
1. Visit the Instagram profile of the user from whom you want to get notifications every time they add a new post.
2. Tap on the 3 horizontal dots at top right corner and select Turn on Post Notifications.
Now the next time that user adds a new photo or video you will get a push notification.
You can turn off push notifications whenever desired by using the same steps and selecting Turn Off Post Notifications.
How to turn on notifications for a specific post?
This is helpful when you might have commented on a particular post and might be interested in getting all the notifications for that specific post. It is really straightforward.
1. Tap on 3 horizontal dots present at the top left of that post.
2. Select Turn On Post Notifications.
With this, you have successfully enabled push notifications for a specific post.
And this also brings an end to this post. I wish now you have a better idea of Instagram push notifications and how to turn then on/off. Share it with your friends if you found this useful.