This Instagram tutorial will comprehensively cover everything about Instagram notifications. Here’s a list of things you’ll find here.
- How to turn on or off notifications on Instagram?
- Steps to turn off Instagram Live Video notifications.
- How to stop first post and story notifications?
- How to mute Instagram Direct chats notifications for all conversations as well as for a particular conversation?
- What do mute messages mean under each contact in Instagram direct?
- How to get push notifications of new posts and stories from a specific Instagram account or user?
- Steps to enable notifications for a particular post.
- 1 Manage Instagram Push Notifications
- 1.1 How To Turn On/Off Instagram Push Notifications
- 1.2 How To Mute Instagram Direct Conversation Alerts?
- 1.3 How To Mute Instagram Direct Messages Notifications For A Particular User Or Conversation
- 1.4 What Does Mute Instagram Notifications Mean?
- 1.5 How To Turn On Post And Story Notifications For A Particular Account?
- 1.6 How To Turn On Notifications For A Specific Post?
- 2 Conclusion
- 3 About The Author
Manage Instagram Push Notifications
To start with, if you are doing something important or would like to improve productivity at work, it is better to turn off WhatsApp notifications (if you use it of course), turn off Facebook notifications, and disable Facebook notifications on your smartphone.
Also, don’t forget to turn off Instagram push notifications which we discuss in this article.
The steps and screenshots which I will be sharing in this article are from the Instagram iPhone app. However, the procedure remains the same for Android in general.
How To Turn On/Off Instagram Push Notifications
- Open the Instagram app and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right corner. I get my profile picture instead of the profile icon (notice in the screenshot) in my account because I manage multiple Instagram accounts from the same app.
- Your profile will show up. Tap on the Hamburger Menu icon at the top right and select Settings from the menu.
- Now, inside the Settings, tap on Notifications.
- Inside the Notifications, you will find different sections that you select to customize the push notifications. You can customize the notifications for Posts, Stories, Comments, Following and Followers, Messages and Calls, Live and Video, Fundraisers, and lastly, notifications From Instagram.
As a new feature added to Instagram, you have the option to Pause All (Push) Notifications from 15 minutes up to 8 hours. During this time, you will not receive any push notifications from Instagram but opening the app will show you your recent account notifications.
- By default, push notifications are turned on for most of the activities. The options are self-explanatory and you should definitely not face any problems while configuring them.
For instance, if you want to turn off push notifications for Likes, Comments, and so on (if they are not disabled), then select Off under their respective sections (by default From Everyone is selected) as shown in the image below.
- Next, you will find the option to disable push notifications for Followers and Following. Tap on Off to disable notifications for New Followers, Account Suggestions, and so on.
- Now, you can disable the push notifications for Messages and Calls by going into their respective section. Here you will find options for activities such as Message Requests, Video Chats, and many more.
- For the remaining options, you can disable the push notifications for Live and Video and Fundraisers. Tap on Off to disable the push notifications that you don’t prefer having.
- Lastly, you can disable the push notifications From Instagram itself. If you want to, you can turn off unnecessary Instagram notifications just by doing the same steps that you did in the previous sections.
Remember, you always have the option to turn them back on.
You can follow the same steps above if ever you want to turn on your push notifications once again. If you’re just looking for a social media or Instagram detox, the Pause All Notifications for 8 hours option just might be for you.
How To Mute Instagram Direct Conversation Alerts?
Instagram Direct is a feature where one can share photos, videos, and messages privately with a specific user(s). With each message, you get a notification on your mobile.
To turn it off, refer to step number 7 above, or find the Messages and Calls section inside the Notifications, and then select Off for Messages.
With this, message notifications will be disabled for Instagram direct for all users.
What if you only want to mute notifications from a specific user or users. Here’s how you can achieve that.
How To Mute Instagram Direct Messages Notifications For A Particular User Or Conversation
- Open Instagram App and select Instagram Direct icon at the top right corner.
- All the Instagram private conversations will show up. Tap on the user which you wish to mute to open the conversation with them.
- Next, tap on their username to access the conversation details. Once inside, you will see the options Mute Messages and Mute Call Notifications. Turn it on to disable the notifications for this specific user.
Push Notifications for that user or group will be turned off. You can similarly mute for other users as well if desired.
You can unmute the user whenever desired by using the same method.
What Does Mute Instagram Notifications Mean?
Muting notifications in Instagram Direct or turning off Instagram notifications means that you won’t get push notifications on your smartphone when you have not opened that app. Thus you won’t get distracted.
Please note that the messages will still be delivered to you or the other person whom you have muted.
However, when you open the app you can view all the notifications including Instagram Direct notifications for new messages.
How To Turn On Post And Story Notifications For A Particular Account?
Do you want to follow a particular Instagram user closely and get push notifications whenever they add a new photo or post? Instagram provides an option for that.
- Visit the Instagram profile of the user from whom you want to get notifications every time they add a new post or story.
- Tap on the bell icon in the upper-right corner. This will open additional options that you can set up when it comes to this specific user.
- Inside, you will see notification options for Posts, Stories, Reels, and Videos. Turn them on if you want to receive push notifications from this specific user. You can also disable it the same way you enabled the push notification.
- Next, for Live Videos, you have the option to Get All Notifications, Get Some Notifications, or Turn Off (all live) Notifications from this specific user. Set the option depending on your preference.
Now the next time that user adds a new post, story, reels, or video, you will get a push notification.
You can turn off push notifications whenever desired by using the same steps as above.
How To Turn On Notifications For A Specific Post?
This could be helpful when you commented on a particular post and might be interested in getting all the notifications for that specific post.
Unfortunately, this feature is no longer available in Instagram’s latest version.
In the past, you were able the receive notifications from a specific post by tapping on the 3 dots present at the top left of that post and then selecting Turn On Post Notifications.
However, based on our recent research, this option is no longer there and has been removed indefinitely by Instagram.
The only feasible way left to receive notifications from a post is by commenting on it and/or viewing it consistently to see updates to the post.
And this also brings an end to this post. I wish now you have a better idea of Instagram push notifications and how to turn them on/off.
Meanwhile, if you have troubles with WhatsApp notifications, check out this post.
Share it with your friends if you found this useful.