If you want to use multiple Instagram accounts on your phone, you must add multiple accounts from the settings.
- Log in to your account.
- Go to the profile page.
- Tap the 3-line symbol, settings, and scroll down.
- Create a second Instagram account.
- Switch between accounts to manage them.
I have a personal and an influencer account on Instagram. Maybe you have the same, or perhaps you have a personal and a business account tailored for different locations.
Whatever the reason, using different devices to operate different Instagram accounts can be daunting. But is it necessary to use multiple devices? The answer is no.
This guide offers step-by-step instructions on how to create and access multiple Instagram accounts on your phone.
- 1 Why Create Multiple Instagram Accounts On Your Phone?
- 2 Can You Create Multiple Instagram Accounts On A Single Device?
- 3 How To Add Multiple Instagram Accounts
- 4 How To Switch Between Multiple Instagram Accounts
- 5 How To Manage Posting On Multiple Instagram Accounts
- 6 How To Manage Push Notifications For Multiple Instagram Accounts
- 7 How To Log Out Of Multiple Instagram Accounts
- 8 How To Switch To A Business Account
- 9 FAQs
- 9.1 Does Instagram Show If Someone Has Multiple Accounts?
- 9.2 Can You Have A Secret Instagram Account?
- 9.3 Why Do People Have Multiple Instagram Accounts?
- 9.4 Can You Have Two Instagram Accounts With The Same Phone Number?
- 9.5 Can You See If Two Instagram Accounts Are Linked?
- 9.6 How Many Instagram Accounts Can One Create On One Device?
- 9.7 Can You Have Multiple Instagram Accounts On Desktop?
- 9.8 Can I Have A Separate Instagram Account For My Business?
- 9.9 Should I Have A Separate Instagram Account For My Business?
- 10 Hope This Was Helpful
Why Create Multiple Instagram Accounts On Your Phone?
Having multiple Instagram accounts can be more valuable than you think. Some reasons to create many accounts are:
- You don’t want to share your personal and business content on the same account.
- You want to keep your personal account private and use another account to share content publicly.
- You want to share region-specific content for people living in different geographical locations.
- You want to promote and sell different products or services catered to different categories of Instagram users.
Regardless of the reasons, it is best to have separate accounts for various purposes. I personally have two accounts, one is my private account and the other is to promote fitness products.
Our Instagram manager also wanted to have our Tech Untold Instagram account and her own personal account on the same mobile device. From my experience, having multiple accounts helps make sharing your different content more efficient. It also helps manage and schedule your posts, keeping your personal and professional life separate.
You can create many accounts and use them per your needs. However, keep in mind that if someone is using an Instagram spy app to keep an eye on your activities, they can monitor all your accounts.
Can You Create Multiple Instagram Accounts On A Single Device?
You can add up to five accounts associated with the same email address. This ability to add many accounts is enabled in Android and iOS versions 7.15 and newer.
However, there are other ways to add more than five accounts to a single device. For instance, if you use an Android phone, you can install Parallel Space to install another Instagram app and add another five accounts.
Having used Parallel Space myself, I can say that it can be irritating for some, as you have to switch between the spaces. But there are many Parallel Space alternatives to choose from. They might be a bit cumbersome, but they are excellent alternatives for using more than five Instagram accounts.
How To Add Multiple Instagram Accounts
Creating multiple Instagram accounts is very straightforward. You can follow the below steps to add another account to your phone.
These steps remain the same for the Instagram app on both Android and iOS. The screenshots included below for demonstration purposes are from an Android device.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Sign in to your main Instagram account.
- Tap the profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- Click on the hamburger icon or the three horizontal lines () at the top right corner.
- Tap on settings.
- Scroll down and tap add account.
When you tap add account, it gives you the option to log into an existing account or create a new one.
- Click on “Create new account.”
- Add all requested information, including username and password, to complete the sign-up process. You can also associate this new account with another phone or email account.
If you associate it with another phone or email, you will receive a confirmation code for an Instagram login. Use the code and log in to the new account.
- Add a profile photo and bio to set up the new profile.
Once you have added one Instagram account, you can follow the same process to add another new Instagram account.
If you are looking for a detailed video demonstration for creating multiple Instagram accounts, you can watch our YouTube video on the topic:
How To Switch Between Multiple Instagram Accounts
Now that you have added many, you would also want to know how to manage multiple Instagram accounts. Follow these steps to switch accounts and manage everything efficiently.
- Open the Instagram app, and it will open the account you are currently logged in to.
- Tap the profile picture on the bottom right corner of the page.
- Click on the inverted arrow beside the account name.
- This will show all the linked accounts.
- You can simply click the second Instagram account you want to switch to.
There’s another way to easily switch between multiple Instagram accounts. For that, you need to:
- Open the Instagram app and hold the profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- This will open up all the accounts, and you can click on any to switch Instagram accounts.
How To Manage Posting On Multiple Instagram Accounts
Sometimes, I share the same post on my main account and my second account as a fitness influencer. For example, when I go to a gym, I might take a photo and share it on both accounts. You might want to do the same. Well, you can do it from the Instagram app itself.
The Instagram app allows you to share the same post across all existing accounts linked to the application. To share the same post on different accounts:
- Open the Instagram app and click on the add post or the + icon at the top right corner.
- Select the image or video you want to post and click on the blue arrow.
- Add filters or edit the image and click on the blue arrow again.
- Now, you will find a feature that says “Post to other Instagram accounts,” and below this, you will find all the additional accounts linked to the app.
- Toggle on the button against the other accounts you want to post to.
You can also go through this YouTube video by Trevor published on the “How to Apps” channel. The video demonstrates sharing a single post to multiple accounts.
How To Manage Push Notifications For Multiple Instagram Accounts
When you create one Instagram account for your personal life and a new one for business, you will receive notifications for all of them. In that case, you can manage the notifications from the settings.
- Open the app, go to the profile page, tap on three horizontal lines, and open the settings.
- Select “Notifications.”
- From here, you can pause all notifications or select what type of notifications you want to receive.
- Switch accounts and follow the above steps to set notification alerts for them.
If you want to manage multiple Instagram accounts, knowing how to enable and disable push notifications is vital. When I added multiple Instagram accounts on my mobile device, my phone constantly vibrated due to notifications. I felt relieved when I turned off some notifications for my personal Instagram account.
How To Log Out Of Multiple Instagram Accounts
Suppose you have created multiple accounts and want to log out of just one. In this case, you can head to settings and tap log out to sign out of the account.
- Open the Instagram app and go to settings.
- Scroll down to the “Logins” section.
- Select log out of all accounts to log out of all the accounts.
- If you want to log out of a single account, tap log out <account name>.
When you log out from one or all the accounts, it will disconnect the accounts from the Instagram app. These accounts will not appear when you try to switch between multiple accounts. Hence, if you want to reaccess them, you must add them again to the application.
How To Switch To A Business Account
Now that you have created multiple Instagram accounts, how will you separate your business and personal account?
By default, signing up using the standard way of heading into the settings and adding an account will create a personal account. But you can switch the existing account to a business account or create a new one using the below steps:
- Open the Instagram app, head to the profile page, and click on the three horizontal lines.
- Tap Settings and click on “Account.”
- Scroll down, and you will get options to switch to or add a new professional account.
- Click on any of the two based on what you want.
- Next, provide the requested details to create your business page.
This will help you set up a business page to share business-related posts. The business account offers several tools to help influencers or businesses create content efficiently. Hence, Instagram business users should create a second account using this method.
Does Instagram Show If Someone Has Multiple Accounts?
Instagram does not show that someone has multiple accounts. However, if someone has access to your phone, he or she can click on your profile picture and check how many accounts you have linked to the Instagram app.
Can You Have A Secret Instagram Account?
You cannot have a secret Instagram account. However, you can customize one to appear like a secret account. You can do this by not adding personal details to the account or linking it to other social media accounts.
Why Do People Have Multiple Instagram Accounts?
People have multiple Instagram accounts to target specific audiences. Instagram users prefer following accounts with niche-specific content. Hence, influencers, Instagram account managers, small business owners, and others create more than one account.
Can You Have Two Instagram Accounts With The Same Phone Number?
You can have two Instagram accounts with the same phone number. Instagram uses your phone number for 2-step verification. However, since there are other alternatives, such as an email address, you can associate a single phone number with two Instagram accounts.
Can You See If Two Instagram Accounts Are Linked?
You cannot see if two Instagram accounts are linked. However, you can go through the profile’s bio to find out. Some people mention their linked accounts in their bio. You can also look at the following on both accounts to determine if they are linked.
How Many Instagram Accounts Can One Create On One Device?
One can create up to five Instagram accounts on one device. You can follow the steps mentioned in this guide to add new accounts to your smartphone.
Can You Have Multiple Instagram Accounts On Desktop?
You can have multiple Instagram accounts on desktop. Creating multiple Instagram accounts on desktop is similar to that on the phone; add an existing account and switch between them.
Can I Have A Separate Instagram Account For My Business?
You can have a separate Instagram account for your business. You can create a business account or switch an existing personal account to a professional one.
Should I Have A Separate Instagram Account For My Business?
You should have a separate Instagram account for business. It is advised to have a separate account to manage multiple accounts efficiently and have a work-life balance.
Hope This Was Helpful
I hope that you enjoyed reading this guide. I enjoyed writing it because I felt having more than one Instagram account is important for better efficiency. This should also be important to you if you want to post content for different audiences or separate your professional and personal accounts.
It’s pretty simple, start by adding a brand new Instagram account to the app. Next, switch between Instagram accounts, and you can manage them seamlessly.
Let me know if you liked this guide or if it is helpful in the comments. Also, share this with your friends who are juggling between devices to operate many accounts from a single device.