As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
In our earlier article, we explained how to hide WhatsApp message preview which hides the message content from notification and only shows the senders name. However, if you are not satisfied by that then you can completely turn off WhatsApp notifications if it’s annoying to you or for some reason you don’t want to show up WhatsApp notifications on the home screen.
So, to get rid of WhatsApp messages popup on top of the screen, follow this article. The steps for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone are covered here.
We have shared methods to manage the following types of WhatsApp notifications.
- All WhatsApp Notifications
- WhatsApp Notifications For Specific Contacts/Groups
- WhatsApp Security Notifications
- In-app Notifications On WhatsApp
1. Turn Off WhatsApp Notifications
Steps To Disable WhatsApp Notifications On Android
The below method is for Samsung Android devices. I have mentioned the steps from S9+ running on Android 8.0 Oreo so steps may vary slightly for other versions.
- Open Settings in your Android phone.
- Next select Notifications.
- Here you will see all the apps listed and you can control notifications for them. Among them, you will find WhatsApp. You can either toggle the WhatsApp switch to Off or tap on it to further customize notifications.
- If you decide to tap on WhatsApp then inside you’ll find options to only disable notifications for Groups or contacts. You can choose according to your requirement.
The steps below are used in some of the Android devices to turn off WhatsApp notifications. In any case, you should set this if you don’t want WhatsApp pop up notifications.
- You have to first open the WhatsApp app.
- Next navigate to Settings-> Notifications.
- Now tap on Popup Notification under Message as well as Group notifications and select No popup.
On some Android devices, you may find the WhatsApp notification by following the method below.
- Go to the Settings of your Android phone.
- Look for Apps and tap on it.
- Scroll down and look for WhatsApp, tap on it.
- Now uncheck the checkbox next to the “show notifications”.
Stop WhatsApp Notifications On iPhone
- Open iPhone Settings, tap on Notifications.
- In Notifications screen, look for WhatsApp and tap on it.
- Toggle Allow Notifications button to OFF to turn off incoming WhatsApp messages on the notification bar.
Steps For Windows Phone
- Open Windows phone Settings.
- Tap on notifications+actions. It will take you to notifications settings from where you can hide WhatsApp notification in status bar.
- Next, look for WhatsApp and tap on it.
- Now switch off Show in action centre to stop showing WhatsApp messages on your notification bar.
READ ALSO: How To Use Bitmoji On WhatsApp
The above method will disable notifications for all contacts and groups. If you want to do it only for particular contact or group then the next procedure is for you.
2. Turn Off Notifications In WhatsApp For Particular Contact
The method is a bit different for Android and iPhone. On Android, there is one little extra setting you need to take care of as compared to iPhone.
On iPhone, you simply need to mute chat for that contact or group. Doing this will disable notifications for them.
Speaking of mute you should know what it means for Android and iPhone.
Mute chat in WhatsApp for iPhone means turning off the notifications for that particular contact/group. Whereas, in Android, it means to silent the notifications with an extra functionality to turn off notifications as well.
1. Open WhatsApp, and go to the chat of the contact/group for whom you want to turn off the notifications.
2. Now tap on the 3 dots at the top right, a menu will open. Now tap on View contact. Alternatively, you can tap on the contact or group name at the top.
3. In the profile of that contact, look for the Mute notifications option as shown in the picture and enable it by tapping on it.
4. A new popup will appear you can uncheck the Show notifications option.
From now on you will not get any notification from that particular contact, however, once you open WhatsApp, the unread messages will be shown for that contact.
If you wish you can do it for other chats by following the same steps.
Now, let’s move on to security notifications.
3. Enable/Disable WhatsApp Security Notifications
Before going to the steps first let’s go through what are they.
End-to-end encryption was made possible by using security codes that are unique to each chat. The code consists of a QR code and a 60-digit number which is shared by the users in the conversation. Now, this code may change if a contact uninstalls and reinstall WhatsApp or switches phone. This will show a notification in the conversation that says “[Contact] security code changed”. This can be distracting while you’re having an interesting chat. Thankfully, you can get rid of them as WhatsApp allows you to turn them off. Here’s how.
The method is exactly the same for Android and iPhone. Here, we have used screenshots from the iPhone app.
1. Open WhatsApp and tap on the Settings tab at the bottom right(iOS). On Android, tap on the 3 dots at the top right corner and select Settings.
2. Under Settings, tap on Account.
3. Now, tap on Security.
4. Here, you will find Show Security Notifications toggle switch. Turn it ON/OFF according to your liking.
Doing this will activate or disable encryption code change notifications in the conversation.
1. Even if the security code changes your chats are still encrypted.
2. Irrespective of what you chose in the setting above you chats are end-to-end encrypted.
Moving ahead, we have in-app notifications.
4. Turn Off WhatsApp In-App Notifications
It’s perfectly fine to receive the notifications when you’re not using the app. But it can be quite irritating to get the notification bar appearing at the top while you’re busy chatting with someone else. To avoid that from happening WhatsApp does provide a setting(In-App Notifications)
Currently, the option is only available for the iPhone app. So, Android users need to be content with disabling notifications entirely or keeping them as it is for now.
iPhone users can follow the method below.
- Open WhatsApp and select the Settings tab at the bottom right.
- Now, tap on Notifications.
- Under Notifications, tap on In-App Notifications.
- Here, you will have options to disable Sounds, vibrations and notification bar/banner/alert. Select None in Alert Style and toggle Sounds and Vibrate switch to OFF.
This will disable the WhatsApp messages notifications from other contacts/chats while you’re using it and you will still receive notifications when you close or come out of WhatsApp.
If you only want to get rid of the notification bar at the top then only select None in Alert Style and keep Sounds and Vibrate options to ON. In this case, the sound and vibration will be there without a banner when a new message is received.
After following this guide you will be able to deal with any type of WhatsApp notifications. Be it any type of notification you can turn it on/off from the same place. Also, know what you can use third-party apps to know if someone is online in WhatsApp without opening WhatsApp at all.
If you have any sort of doubt or facing any issues while using these settings then tell us in the comments below.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.