Yes, you read it correctly! Now with WhatsApp update for iPhone and Android, you can mute chats of individual contact/ chats. Earlier, you could only mute WhatsApp groups – the steps for both of them are largely the same. Previously, the only option to get rid of irritating individual contacts was to block them in order to stop getting notifications from them or turn off WhatsApp notifications which is not a good choice by any stretch of the imagination as that turns off notifications for all chats along with that contact which is not what you want. However, with the mute option, you can disable notifications for the chat of single/ specific person or group in WhatsApp.
Mute Individual Chat Or Group In WhatsApp
Mute chat in iPhone means to turn off message tone as well as WhatsApp notifications for a group or individual chat.
You need to have WhatsApp updated version ( 2.12.5 ) for iPhone to get rid of notifications from annoying individual chats in iPhone.
- Open WhatsApp and go to the contact or group which you want to mute.
- Swipe left on that chat and select More. Tap on Mute from the options presented.
- Tap on the chat to open the conversation. On top of the screen tap on the name of the contact or group.
- Contact Info/Group Info will open. Here, you can tap on Mute.
With these two methods, you can stop notifications from chats of a single person in WhatsApp on iPhone.
In Android, mute chat means to turn off sound for notifications or silencing the notifications even if your phone is in ring mode while you will still receive the notifications. That said, there is an option to disable notifications as well while using the Mute option.
To mute chat for a single person in WhatsApp on Android, you need the Android version ( 2.12.197) or newer. Follow the below steps to mute chats for individual contact in Android:
- Open WhatApp, and tap on the contact or group for whom you want to mute the chat.
- Next, tap on 3 dots at the top right as shown in the picture and tap on View contact or Group info.
- After this look for the Mute notifications option and turn it on by tapping on it.
- It will ask for how long you want to mute, “8 Hours”, “1 Week” or “1 Year”.
- Choose the desired option and tap on Ok.
These photos were taken from WhatsApp Version 2.12.510.
Like iPhone, you can disable notifications for a particular contact or group in Android along with message tone by unchecking an extra setting Show Notifications at the bottom.
This feature was definitely needed by the users of the widely used instant messaging app WhatsApp. We wish that you will find this feature to mute chat of single contact or group useful. Do share your views.