Widely used messaging service WhatsApp allows you to change messages and call ringtones.
For calling, this feature enables users to have a different ringtone for WhatsApp calls and cellular calls so that the calls can be differentiated by listening to the ringtone itself.
Moreover, you can set a custom WhatsApp ringtone for different groups as well as contacts. This comes in handy when you want to get notified by the sound of the notification itself whether it is of priority or not.
Suppose you are a part of some groups or chats where your intervention is very important.
Then, you can set a different WhatsApp ringtone for that group or chat or even individual contact. Thus, by only listening to the sound of the notification, you know that you need to check it as fast as possible while you can safely ignore the others.
All in all, you get the idea! Custom notifications make it easier to figure out which contact is calling or messaging you by listening to the WhatsApp ringtone alone.
Let’s dive in!
Change A WhatsApp Ringtone For Calls Or Messages
You can change this particular WhatsApp ringtone from the same Settings menu where the ringtone for messages is changed.
- Open WhatsApp, tap on 3 dots, and select Settings
- Under Settings select Notifications
- Now, you can find 3 different sections for Message (for individual contacts), Group, and Call notifications respectively. Tap on the Notification tone in Message or Group notifications. For Call notifications, you need to tap on Ringtone.
- After that, select the desired tone. You can even change the vibration pattern for all types of notifications.
- Launch WhatsApp and go to the Settings tab.
- Next, tap on Notifications.
- Similar to the Android app, you’ll find sections for Message and Group Notifications. Tap on the Sound option and select the desired ringtone.
On the iPhone app, the WhatsApp call notifications setting is missing.
But that doesn’t mean you cannot change the incoming call ringtone. You can change the WhatsApp ringtone for a call from the phone settings along with the ringtone for normal phone calls.
The only drawback here is that you cannot have a different tone for mobile and WhatsApp calls on iPhone.
This will change the WhatsApp ringtone for all the contacts and groups.
Set A Custom WhatsApp Ringtone For Contacts And Groups
Now let’s see, how to set different message and call tones for individual contact and group if you want to differentiate them from the ringtone on Android and iPhone.
- Open WhatsApp and select the conversation of the desired group or contact for which you want to change the message tone.
- Go to the Group/Contact Info screen.
- Select Custom Notifications.
- On the next screen, tick Use Custom Notifications.
- Now tap on Notification tone under Message Notifications and select the desired tone.
- For contacts, you can also set a different call ringtone for each contact. You can do so from the Call notifications section on the same screen.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the conversation of the group/chat for which you want to change the ringtone.
- On the conversation screen, tap on the Group/Contact Name on top of the screen. This will open up Group/Contact Information.
- Under Contact Info, tap on Wallpaper & Sound.
- Next, you will find Alert Tone under Custome Tone. Tap on it.
- Select a new message alert sound for that group/contact.
- Tap on Save at the top right corner after selecting the desired message tone.
Again, you won’t find any option to change the WhatsApp call ringtone on the iPhone WhatsApp app.
But you can change the WhatsApp ringtone on a per-contact basis by setting a different ringtone for each contact on iPhone for normal phone calls from the Phone app.
This will change the ringtones for WhatsApp calls as well for those contacts. This way you can have WhatsApp custom notifications for WhatsApp calls on your iPhone.
SUGGESTED READ: 9 Amazing WhatsApp facts you don’t know
Using the steps above, you should be able to change a WhatsApp ringtone for incoming calls, messages, and group messages on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
Apart from that, you can even set custom notifications for each contact/group if required.
Which setting is most useful for you? Let us know in the comments below.