Ever since Instagram Stories feature was launched I am using and exploring it a lot and here in this article, I have come up with a few tricks which will let you hide Instagram Story seen from another user’s story. This means that you can use the methods mentioned here to view someone’s Instagram story and direct messages without notifying them on the Instagram website, Android and iOS smartphones. Moreover, it is possible to watch the stories of people without even following them but that is of course only possible for public accounts.
In case you have already accidentally viewed someone’s story or message on the Instagram app and looking to delete or undo your seen from the viewer’s list then also we’ve got you covered. We will start with the same here.
Here are the quick links to jump to specific sections in the article as required.
- Delete Or Undo Seen From Instagram Story Or Direct Messages
- Hide Seen From Instagram Story
- Hide Instagram Direct Message Seen
1. Delete Or Undo Seen From Instagram Story Or Direct Messages
At times, it happens we view stories by mistake and at the same time, we don’t want the owner to know. The good news is that you can hide your view. Whether the profile whose story you have viewed is private or public the process to remove your seen remains the same. Here’s how.
The steps are the same and applicable for both Android and iOS devices. So, let’s get on with it.
1. Open the Instagram app and go to the profile of the user whose story you viewed.
2. Now, tap on the 3 dots at the top right and select Block.
3. Confirm your decision by selecting Block.
That’s all you need to do. Basically, blocking the owner of the story will remove your view from their story and also delete the DM conversation with them. But there’s a catch.
As soon as you unblock that particular user, your view will come back and appear again in the story viewers list. So, to counter this keep that person blocked until their story(photo/video) expires which you viewed. This means the maximum time you need to wait before unblocking them is 24 hours.
In case you want to unsee a DM then you’ll have to keep them blocked. As once you unblock them the conversation will be back and they will be able to see the “Seen” or the read receipt.
To unblock someone, go to your profile and tap on the Hamburger menu icon at the top right and select Settings.
Next, tap on Blocked Users/Accounts.
Now, select that specific user. This will take you to their profile. Tap on 3 dots at top right on their profile and select Unblock. Confirm the same on the next pop-up box.
After that story has expired, you will have to follow them(if you were following them earlier) again as blocking someone removes them from your following. Another thing you should know is that blocking someone will make them unfollow you(if they were following you earlier). So, you stand a risk of losing a follower in case they don’t follow you afterward.
Now, let’s look at the several methods you can use to see someone’s story anonymously.
2. Hide Seen From Instagram Story
Did you ever wish to watch Instagram stories anonymously? In other words, do you want to view other users Instagram story and at the same time don’t let them know? Yes, it is possible. I tried out a few ways and fortunately found a few which work. So let’s get the ball rolling.
Method 1: View Someone’s Instagram Story Without Notifying Them On The Web
This method makes use of the Instagram website to view others Instagram stories without notifying.
To take advantage of this you need to use Chrome browser. So, if you don’t have it yet then this should be a good enough reason to install it on your PC/Mac. Once done, follow the steps below.
- Add Chrome IG Story extension to your browser from the following link. This extension lets you watch Instagram stories on your computer.
- Open Instagram website and log in to your account. If you had it already opened then reload the web page.
- As you might already know that Instagram website shows the stories of the people you follow on the right-hand side of your feed. However, when you install Chrome IG Story you will have to see the stories using the Chrome IG Story extension. In order to do that, click on the Chrome IG Story icon at the top next to address bar.
- After you do that, the stories and live videos from the people you follow will appear in the window. Now, before viewing any story from this window make sure the eye icon is slashed. It indicates that anonymous viewing is enabled. You can do so by clicking on the eye icon.
- Next, you can click on the desired stories to watch them. Your view won’t be counted as long as the anonymous mode is activated. To confirm that, you can head back to the Instagram app and the story avatars of the accounts you viewed will still be highlighted with radiant colors and are not changed to grey. In case you don’t know, the stories you have viewed are highlighted in grey.
- If you face any issues while viewing the videos in the stories then click on the Popout icon. It will open a new window with all the stories from the users you follow listed. You will be able to view the stories without any issues here. You can even search stories for the users you don’t even follow from this screen.
It is possible to disable the anonymous mode by clicking on the eye icon again which is slashed this time.
Viewing anyone’s Instagram stories on the Web using this trick doesn’t notify them.
For viewing stories on a smartphone without notifying you may use the methods mentioned below.
Method 2: Watch Anyone’s Instagram Stories Privately In Android
1) Install the following app from Play Store on your Android device.
2) Next, you have to log in to the app using your Instagram account.
3) After this, you will see the Instagram stories of all the users you are following. Tap on any story to view them. Viewing story using this app will hide your seen from their Instagram stories.
Method 3: View Instagram Stories Without Following And Letting Them Know On iOS
1. iOS users can install Story Reposter for Instagram app. It is available for free on the App Store.
2. Open the app and type the username of the person whose story you wish to see. You need not even follow that user (provided the account is public) to view their Story using this app. The best part about this app is that it does not require you to login to your Instagram account. After entering the username tap on Search.
3. On the next screen, you will see the username of that person. Tap on it.
4. Next, it will show all the stories the user has uploaded with their respective timestamps. Tap on the desired media.
Even though you viewed the story the owner won’t be notified.
Method 4: See Someone’s Instagram Story Without Them Knowing On iPhone/Android/PC/Mac Browser
1. Visit storiesig.com on any of your devices with your favorite browser. In this case, I have used Safari browser on my iPhone.
2. Type the username of the person whose story you want to view and tap return. It is not mandatory for you to follow that person in order to view their story using this website.
3. Next, tap on the user details. If that user has a public account and has uploaded story then all the media files in the story will be listed. You can tap on the respective file to view.
Here is another useful tutorial for Instagram stories: Add Multiple Photos Or Longer Videos To Instagram Stories
3. Hide Instagram Direct Message Seen
For messages, we share a simple trick which allows you to hide Instagram direct message seen or read receipt.
Update: This method is updated with the trick that works with the latest version of Instagram app in 2019.
How To Know If Your Instagram Direct Message Is Read?
You can easily know if someone has read your direct message on Instagram. If “Seen” appears below the message you sent then that means the recipient has read it, otherwise not.
Also, if there are multiple users in the conversation then an eye symbol will appear with the Instagram username who have viewed your message.
Now, what if as a recipient of a message you do not want the Seen to appear when you read the message? Follow the steps below.
There is no direct setting or option to hide Instagram messages read receipts and you need to follow the below workaround.
1. As soon as you receive the direct message, you will get an Instagram push notification. Do not tap on it.
2. Open Instagram app and tap on Instagram Direct icon at the top right corner.
3. Instagram Direct conversations will load. Do not open the conversation for which you want to hide the read receipt.
4. Turn Off WiFi or cellular data(disconnect from the Internet completely)
5. Now, select and open the desired conversation to read the messages and at the same time don’t want to alert the sender with Seen receipt. You will be able to view the messages.
6. After that you will have to log out of your Instagram account. Don’t turn On the internet or Wi-Fi yet. You need to log out of your Instagram account without the internet connection.
7. To log out, come back to the news feed(Home) screen and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right of the screen.
8. Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(3 dots on Android) at the top right corner and select Log Out.
9. Now, switch on the Wi-Fi on your smartphone and log in to your account on the Instagram app.
Sender won’t get Seen even though you read the message. You can continue to use Instagram Direct with other users and still the user won’t get notified that you have viewed their messages. But do not open the conversation for which you wish to hide your seen. If you do that then the sender of the messages will get the seen receipt. In case they send more messages then follow the same steps above to read their message without letting them know.
Here’s a video where I am explaining the same hack.
We wish that the tricks mentioned were useful and interesting for you. Share it with your friends on Instagram and let them know about these Instagram hacks.