As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To unsee an Instagram story that you accidentally viewed, deactivate your Instagram account for 48 hours. Since an Instagram story will only last for 24 hours, once this period ends, they won’t be able to see who viewed their story.
Ever since the Instagram Stories feature was launched, I have come up with a few tricks which will let you hide Instagram Story seen from another user’s story. The way I mentioned above is only one of them.
You can use these methods to view someone’s Instagram story and direct messages without notifying them on the Instagram website, Android, and iPhone. Moreover, it is possible to watch the stories of people without even following them but that is of course only possible for public accounts.
In case you have already accidentally viewed someone’s story or message on the Instagram app and looking to delete or undo your seen action from the viewer’s list then also we’ve got you covered. We will start with the same here.
Delete Or Undo Seen From Instagram Story Or Direct Messages (Video)
At times, it happens we view stories by mistake and at the same time, we don’t want the owner to know. The good news is that you can hide your view. Whether the profile whose story you have viewed is private or public the process to remove your seen remains the same. Here’s how.
The steps are the same and applicable to both Android and iOS devices.
Here are the step-by-step instructions.
1. Open the Instagram app and go to the profile of the user whose story you viewed
2. Now, tap on the 3 dots at the top right and select Block
3. Confirm your decision by selecting Block
Blocking the owner of the story will remove your view from their story and also delete the DM conversation with them. But there’s a catch.
4. Wait for 24 hours… or forever
As soon as you unblock that particular user, your view will come back and appear again in the story viewers list. So, to counter this keep that person blocked until their story(photo/video) expires which you viewed. This means the maximum time you need to wait before unblocking them is 24 hours.
In case you want to unsee a DM then you’ll have to keep them blocked. As once you unblock them the conversation will be back and they will be able to see the “Seen” or the read receipt.
5. Unblock the user (for Stories only)
To unblock someone, go to your profile and tap on the Hamburger menu icon at the top right and select Settings.
Next, tap on Privacy and security and select Blocked Users/Accounts.
Now, select that specific user. This will take you to their profile. Tap on 3 dots at top right on their profile and select Unblock. Confirm the same on the next pop-up box.
6. Follow the user again if you still want to follow them.
After that story has expired, you will have to follow them (if you were following them earlier) again as blocking someone removes them from your following.
Another thing you should know is that blocking someone will make them unfollow you (if they were following you earlier). So, you stand a risk of losing a follower in case they don’t follow you afterward.
Don’t Miss: How To Add Temperature In Instagram Story
Here is another useful tutorial for Instagram stories: Add Multiple Photos Or Longer Videos To Instagram Stories
Can you unsee someone’s Instagram story?
You can unsee someone’s Instagram story by deactivating your Instagram account for 48 hours. It works because Instagram stories “live” only for 24h.
Now, let’s look at the several methods you can use to see someone’s story anonymously.
How To See Someone’s IG Story Anonymously
View Someone’s Instagram Story Without Notifying Them On The Web
This method makes use of the Instagram website to view others’ Instagram stories without notifying them. The advantage of using this method is that you can also view the stories of private accounts (only the ones you follow) without letting them know.
To take advantage of this you need to use the Chrome browser. So, if you don’t have it yet then this should be a good enough reason to install it on your PC/Mac. Once done, follow the steps below.
- Previously we used the Chrome IG Story extension but now it has been removed from the store so you can add its alternative IG Stories for Instagram extension to your Chrome browser. This extension also lets you watch Instagram stories on your computer.
- After adding it, open the Instagram website and log in to your account. If you had it already opened then reload the web page.
- As you might already know, Instagram shows the story of people you follow on the right-hand side. But once this extension is installed, you will also see the stories at the top of the page as shown below. These stories come from this extension. Now from the top feed, select the story of the user that you wish to watch anonymously.
- Then it will open a page where you can see their story in full screen. Here, there’s no need to change any setting as it will let you watch the story of users you follow without notifying.
- To confirm that you have viewed it anonymously, you can head back to the Instagram app and the story avatars of the accounts you viewed will still be highlighted with radiant colors and are not changed to grey. In case you don’t know, the stories you have viewed are highlighted in grey.
Note: Make sure that you don’t click on the stories that are on the right-hand side.
Using this tool, you can not only watch stories but also live videos from the people you follow. For live videos, it will open a new web page where you can see them without any issues.
Don’t Miss: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Instagram
For viewing stories on a smartphone without notifying you may use the methods mentioned below.
Watch Anyone’s Instagram Stories Privately In Android
- Install the Story Saver by YOBA from Play Store on your Android device.
- Next, you have to log in to the app using your Instagram account.
- After this, you will see the Instagram stories of all the users you are following. Now here, remember you have to tap on the name of the user or profile and not on the picture. Tapping on the profile image will take you to the Instagram application.
- It will then take you to the page where all their stories will be shown. Here either you can long tap/press on any of the photos or videos to view them. Or swipe left on the screen to see their stories accordingly. Viewing story using this app will hide your seen from their Instagram stories.
You can also view the stories of people without following them. For that, all you need is the username for that profile and search it using this application.
View Instagram Stories Without Following And Letting Them Know On iOS
1. iPhone users can install Repost Story for iOS app. It is available for free on the App Store.
2. Similar to the Android app you’ll have to log in with your Instagram account in this app as well.
3. On logging in you’ll be able to see the stories of the people you are following at the top. Tap on the profile avatar of the person whose story you want to view.
4. On the next screen, you will be able to see the active stories uploaded by that person. You can tap on the individual story(photo/video) to view it in full screen.
5. Apart from this, you can also view stories of people even if you’re not following them provided the profile is public. To do that, tap on the search icon on the home screen of the app and type the username. Select the desired user from the list.
6. After that, you’ll be able to see their stories.
Using this app, even though you viewed the story the owner won’t be notified.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Best Nine Collage On Instagram
3. Hide Instagram Direct Message Seen
For messages, we share a simple trick which allows you to hide Instagram direct message seen or sending a read receipt. This method works with the latest version of the Instagram app.
How To Know If Your Instagram Direct Message Is Read?
You can easily know if someone has read your direct message on Instagram. If “Seen” appears below the message you sent then that means the recipient has read it, otherwise not.
Also, if there are multiple users in the conversation then an eye symbol will appear with the Instagram username who has viewed your message.
Unsee Instagram Direct Message
Now, what if as a recipient of a message you do not want the Seen to appear when you read the message? Follow the steps below.
There is no direct setting or option to hide Instagram messages read receipts and you need to follow the below workaround.
1. As soon as you receive a direct message, you will get an Instagram push notification. Do not tap on it.
2. Open the Instagram app and tap on Instagram Direct icon at the top right corner.
3. Instagram Direct conversations will load. Do not open the conversation for which you want to hide the read receipt.
4. Turn Off WiFi or cellular data (disconnect from the Internet completely)
5. Now, select and open the desired conversation to read the messages and at the same time don’t want to alert the sender with Seen receipt. You will be able to view the messages.
6. After that, you will have to log out of your Instagram account. Don’t turn On the internet or Wi-Fi yet. You need to log out of your Instagram account without an internet connection.
7. To log out, come back to the news feed(Home) screen and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right of the screen.
8. Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(3 dots on Android) at the top right corner and select Log Out.
9. Now, switch on the Wi-Fi on your smartphone and log in to your account on the Instagram app.
The sender won’t get Seen even though you read the message.
You can continue to use Instagram Direct with other users and still the user won’t get notified that you have viewed their messages. But do not open the conversation for which you wish to hide your Seen action. If you do that then the sender of the messages will get the seen receipt.
In case they send more messages then follow the same steps above to read their message without letting them know.
Here’s a video where I am explaining the same hack:
More Instagram Tutorials
If you are a heavy Insta user, you might also be interested in the below Instagram tutorials:
Now you know how to undo or hide Seen from Instagram stories and messages. If you just want to watch someone’s Instagram Stories anonymously, use StoryHoot, our in-house tool.
We wish that the tricks mentioned were useful and interesting for you. Share it with your friends on Instagram and let them know about these awesome Instagram hacks.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.