In this article, we have shared several scenarios that may occur when it comes to blocking on Instagram. You can block someone, someone can block you and you can block each other! So, here we will let you know how to know if someone blocked you on Instagram, what happens when you block someone on Instagram and how to unblock when you have blocked each other.
You can use the links below to directly jump to the desired section in the article.
- What Happens If I Block Someone On Instagram?
- How To Know If Someone Blocked You On Instagram?
- Steps To Unblock If You Have Blocked Each Other on Instagram
1. What Happens If I Block Someone On Instagram?
Is someone irritating you a lot with their spammy comments? Or they have been mentioning you on a lot of irrelevant posts? You are no more comfortable sharing your posts with them. Well, the best option you have is to block them from your Instagram account. Now, if you want to know the impact it will have when you block them then follow the content below.
1. Whenever you block anyone on Instagram, that user won’t get any notification to let them know that you have blocked them.
2. The user whom you blocked will be removed as your Instagram follower.
3. As soon as you block an Instagram user, the notifications from that user on your profile will be removed.
4. All the earlier comments and likes(when not blocked) from that user on your posts will disappear.
5. You can search, find and view the Instagram profile you have blocked. If the profile you blocked is public then you can even view their posts. Their profiles can also be visited by tapping on their username which is there in likes and comments.
6. You cannot like or comment on their photos and videos after blocking them. They are only viewable if the account is public of course.
7. Similar is the case for the person who is getting blocked. Notifications from you will be removed from their profile. Moreover, all your likes and comments on their posts will vanish.
8. The Instagram Direct Conversation with the user you blocked will be removed from both the ends.
9. You won’t be able to view each other Instagram Stories when blocked. Also, if you watched their story before blocking, your view will also be removed from the viewer’s list.
If You Block Someone On Instagram Can They Still See Your Pictures?
The tenth point will answer this question of yours.
10. No, the Instagram user you blocked cannot view your photos. Moreover, the user you blocked cannot comment and like your posts as they won’t be able to view them in the first place.
11. Neither you nor the person whom you blocked will be able to send private messages to each other using Instagram Direct.
Now an interesting question.
What Happens If You Block Someone On Instagram Then Unblock Them?
As I mentioned above, you can unblock a user whenever desired. In order to do so, visit the profile you have blocked and tap on Follow. That user will be unblocked automatically. In case, you don’t want to follow them and just want to unblock, then tap on 3 dots on their profile and select Unblock User.
After unblocking them here is what will happen.
1. All the notifications, likes and comments from that user will be restored. The same is true for the person who was blocked.
2. You can like, comment on each other profiles again if you have followed each other.
3. You and the other user can use Instagram Direct to send private messages to each other. The earlier conversation will also be restored.
4. You will be to view each other stories depending on the privacy settings.
2. How To Tell If Someone Blocked You On Instagram?
I have tested and tried out all these observations by blocking myself from another Instagram Account. Hence, these should conclude whether you are blocked or not.
Steps To Find Out If You Have Been Blocked On Instagram
Before starting I want to make it clear that the observations are the same for both Private and Public Instagram accounts.
1. Search for the Instagram username whom you suspect has blocked you using the Search option. If you do not find them then you might be blocked. If you are able to see them in the search suggestions, it means either you have searched them before or you are not blocked. But you can not be sure because the search function is behaving differently on different phones. So, read on!
2. If you don’t find them anywhere while searching then go to any post of yours and comment the username of the person with @ prefix. For example, if the person’s username is mendiratta20 then you should comment @mendiratta20.
3. Now, after following any of the above steps 1 or 2, go to that person’s profile by tapping on their name (search) or username (comment). On an Android phone, you should see the blank white screen with username written at the top. If you also see so, you are definitely blocked.
4. But some of you might also see the profile with the profile picture and bio mostly if you are using an iPhone. You will not be able to see their photos, videos or stories. If you are blocked by the person, you will see ‘User Not Found‘ in the place of ‘Follow’. However, if you see the ‘Follow’ button, tap on it. If they have blocked you, you will not be able to follow them and after just a second it will again say ‘Follow’.
Please Remember: The blank screen also appears if the person has changed their username or deactivated their account. If you suspect these, then I would recommend you to first find out the latest username or the status of their presence on Instagram. When you get the username, follow these steps from step 1.
3. Blocked Each Other On Instagram? Here’s How To Unblock
You might have blocked someone on Instagram because of some reason or the other. After figuring out that you have blocked them on Instagram they blocked you back. Or this story can be just the opposite. But in any case, you have now blocked each other on Instagram and you are not able to find a way to visit each other’s profile to unblock. If it seems like your story then this tutorial is going to be a lifesaver for you. Here you will get to know the working method in 2019 to unblock if you have blocked each other on Instagram.
In the first place, Instagram makes it pretty tough for users to block each other. The only way to block each other is mentioned below.
How To Block Each Other On Instagram?
According to my experience currently in 2019, it is only possible to block each other if at least one of you is using the Instagram iPhone app.
- Visit the desired user’s profile.
- Tap on the 3 dots icon at the top right and select Block.
- Confirm your decision by tapping on Block.
If the second user wants to block the first user then they have two options.
- In case the second person has landed on the profile of the first person already when they hadn’t blocked them and are still there then they can easily use the 3 dots at the top right and select Block to block them. But the chance of this situation is highly unlikely.
- The next case is only possible if the second user is using the Instagram app on iOS then they can go to the profile of the first user by commenting first person username with @prefix on any of the posts and then tapping on it. There the second user will see User not found but at the same time, you can see the 3 dots on the first person’s profile. Tap on it and select Block.
Now, later if you decide to unblock each other then the following options won’t work.
- Both them will not be able to find each other via search.
- Instagram Direct conversations between them will be removed for both the parties so it is not possible to Unblock or visit their profile via messages.
But don’t be disappointed as after trying out a few different things finally I found one which works.
Unblock If You Have Blocked Each Other On Instagram
Most Important: The person has to use their Instagram account on the iPhone app in order to start unblocking each other. It won’t work on Android, at least, it doesn’t work now( January 2019).
- On the iPhone app log into your account if not done already. After that, visit the profile of the person you want to unblock. You can do so in a couple of ways.
- Open any Instagram photo preferably yours as you will have to comment and it’s better not to spam others content. Tap on the comment icon below the image and type the Instagram username of the user you wish to unblock preceded by the @. Hit post to publish your comment. Now, tap on the username you commented above. This will take you to their profile.
- Visit your profile screen > Tap on the Hamburger menu icon and select Settings > Privacy and security > Blocked accounts. Here you’ll be able to see all the accounts you’ve blocked. Tap on the blocked account you wish to unblock.
- Once you are on their profile, simply tap on 3 dots at the top right and select Unblock. Confirm your decision by selecting Unblock.
- As soon as one user unblocks another user using the iPhone app, the other user will be able to search them from their account using Android or iPhone app. And once on their profile, another person can easily unblock them.
Instagram has shown inconsistent behavior and it keeps on varying depending on the platform Android or iOS you’re using it on. That said, this guide is updated with all the findings from the current version and you should be able to figure out if you’re blocked by someone and what happens if someone blocks you on Instagram.
On top of that, a very strange finding when it comes to unblocking when you’ve blocked each other on Instagram. If you follow the steps mentioned here then hopefully you should be able to unblock each other.
If you found this guide useful then don’t forget to share it on social media to help others out as well. In the case of any issue please drop a comment below.