The interface of Instagram is designed in such a sober and simple way that anyone can use it easily. But when we talk about the Block feature of this app, there are things that each and every one of us needs to learn.
So in this article, we have shared several scenarios that may occur when it comes to blocking on Instagram. We will let you know, how to know if someone blocked you on Instagram, what happens when you block someone on Instagram, moreover, we will also discuss, how to unblock when you have blocked each other.
You can use the links below to directly jump to the desired section in the article.
- What Happens If I Block Someone On Instagram?
- How To Know If Someone Blocked You On Instagram?
- Steps To Unblock If You Have Blocked Each Other on Instagram
What Happens If I Block Someone On Instagram?
Is someone irritating you a lot with their spammy comments? Or they have been mentioning you on a lot of irrelevant posts? You are no more comfortable sharing your posts with them. Well, the best option you have is to block them from your Instagram account. Now, if you want to know the impact it will have when you block them then follow the content below.
1. Whenever you block someone on Instagram, that user won’t get any notification to let them know that you have blocked them. This thing comes in your favor as, if the person on the other side gets notification and that person is known to you, it makes you answerable to them. Moreover, it also feels awkward when that person gets the block notification from your side.
2. The user whom you blocked will be removed as your Instagram follower.
3. As soon as you block an Instagram user, all the notifications from that user on your profile will be removed.
4. All the earlier likes and comments (when not blocked) from that user on your posts will disappear automatically. Moreover, all the notifications from that user will also be removed.
5. You can still search for their username and reach their account. But after blocking that person you will not be able to view their content. It will simply show Unblock at the place of Follow and No Posts Yet just below it. Moreover, the number of posts, Followers, and Following will appear as 0.
6. You cannot like or comment on their photos and videos after blocking them. Their posts are not viewable when the account is blocked in the first place.
7. Similarly is the case for the person who is getting blocked. All the notifications that they received from your side will be removed from their profile.
8. Although, the Instagram Direct Conversation with the user you blocked is not possible now. But the older conversation will not be removed or deleted from both the ends.
9. You won’t be able to view each other Instagram Stories when blocked. Also, if you watched their story before blocking, your view will also be removed from the viewer’s list.
If You Block Someone On Instagram Can They Still See Your Pictures?
The tenth point will answer this question of yours.
10. No, the Instagram user you blocked cannot view your photos. Moreover, the user you blocked cannot comment and like your posts as they won’t be able to view them in the first place.
Now an interesting question.
What Happens If You Block Someone On Instagram Then Unblock Them?
After unblocking them here is what will happen.
1. As told above, once you block the user, they no more remain your follower. Even when you unblock the user, the user is not going to restore as your follower. The person whom you blocked has to manually follow you again.
2. You can like and comment on each other’s profiles again.
3. Both of you can use Instagram Direct to send private messages to each other again.
4. You will be able to view each other’s stories depending on the privacy settings.
5. Tagging each other again on the photos and videos will become possible again.
6. All the notifications, likes and comments from you on the blocked person’s profile and media will be restored.
Basically you will be able to do all the things normally as before the blocking.
How To Tell If Someone Blocked You On Instagram?
I have tested and tried out all these observations by blocking myself from another Instagram Account. Hence, these should conclude whether you are blocked or not.
Steps To Find Out If You Have Been Blocked On Instagram
Before starting I want to make it clear that the observations are the same for both Private and Public Instagram accounts.
1. Search for the Instagram username in the search bar whom you suspect has blocked you. If you do not find them then you might be blocked. If you are able to see them in the search suggestions, it means either you have searched them before or you are not blocked. But you can not be sure because the search function behaves differently on different phones. So, read on!
2. If you don’t find them anywhere while searching, then go to any of your posts where you remember the following person commenting. It doesn’t matter if you are blocked or not, the comment of that person is still going to reflect on your post.
3. If you don’t remember any post where that person commented, simply select any of your photos and comment the username of the person with @ prefix. For example, if the person’s username is mendiratta20 then you should comment @mendiratta20.
4. Now, after following any of the above steps, go to that person’s profile by tapping on their name (search) or username (comment). On an Android phone, you will be able to see that person’s name, bio, followers, followings, etc. But at the place of posts, you will simply see No Posts Yet written. If you tap on the Follow option, instead of Following, it will again show the Follow option.
5. In the case of an iPhone also, you will not be able to see their photos, videos or stories. But unlike the Android device, you will not be able to see the Bio, Followers, Followings, and the number of posts also. If you are blocked by the person, you will see ‘User not found‘ in the place of ‘Follow’. However, if you see the ‘Follow’ button, tap on it. If they have blocked you, you will not be able to follow them and just after a second it will again say ‘Follow’.
Please Remember: The blank screen also appears if the person has changed their username or deactivated their account. If you suspect these, then I would recommend you to first find out the latest username or the status of their presence on Instagram. When you get the username, follow these steps from step 1.
3. Blocked Each Other On Instagram? Here’s How To Unblock
You might have blocked someone on Instagram because of some reason or the other. After figuring out that you have blocked them on Instagram, they blocked you back in the repercussion. Or this story can be just the opposite. But in any case, you have now blocked each other on Instagram and you are not able to find a way to visit each other’s profile to unblock. If it seems like your story then this tutorial is going to be a lifesaver for you. Here you will get to know the working method in 2019 to unblock if you have blocked each other on Instagram.
In the first place, Instagram makes it pretty tough for users to block each other. The only ways to block each other are mentioned below.
How To Block Each Other On Instagram?
- Visit the desired user’s profile.
- Tap on the 3 dots icon at the top right and select Block.
- Confirm your decision by tapping on Block.
If the second user wants to block the first user then they still have two options available.
- In case the second person has landed on the profile of the first person already when he hadn’t blocked him and is still there. In this case, the first person can easily use the 3 dots at the top right and select the Block option to block them. But the chance of this situation is highly unlikely.
- The second user will not be able to reach the first user’s account by searching manually. So the next case is possible when the second user goes to the profile of the first user by commenting his/her username with @prefix on any of the posts and then tapping on it. There the second user will not be able to see the first user’s profile but at the same time, you can see the 3 dots available on the profile. Tap on it and select Block.
Unblock If You Have Blocked Each Other On Instagram
- Firstly, one of you needs to visit the profile of the other person you want to unblock. You can do so in a couple of ways.
- Open any Instagram photo preferably yours as you will have to comment and it’s better not to spam other’s content. Tap on the comment icon below the image and type the Instagram username of the user you wish to unblock preceded by the @. Hit post to publish your comment. Now, tap on the username you commented above. This will take you to their profile.
- Visit your profile screen > Tap on the Hamburger menu icon and select Settings > Privacy and security > Blocked accounts. Here you’ll be able to see all the accounts you’ve blocked. Tap on the blocked account you wish to unblock.
- Once you are on their profile, simply tap on 3 dots at the top right and select Unblock. Confirm your decision by selecting Unblock.
- As soon as one user unblocks another user, the other user will be able to search them from their account using an Android or iPhone app. And once on their profile, another person can easily unblock them.
Instagram has shown inconsistent behavior and it keeps on varying depending on the platform Android or iOS you’re using it on. Earlier, many of the tricks that we discussed above were only possible on the iPhone but now they are working perfectly in the Android devices too.
That said, this guide is updated with all the findings from the current version and you should be able to figure out if you’re blocked by someone and what happens if someone blocks you on Instagram. Blocking and unblocking each other will also be easily achieved if you follow the given steps. On top of that, you will easily be able to reach the account of your blocker if you follow the steps mentioned correctly.
If you found this guide useful then don’t forget to share it on social media to help others out as well. In the case of any issue please drop a comment below.