As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There is no denying the fact that every one of us on the social media search for other users and Instagram is no different. With searches, comes search history similar to the history of web browsers. There is a good and bad part of it. The good part is it shows you the recent searches you have made and if in future you want to visit that profile or hashtag again you can use the history instead of searching again.
Coming to the disadvantages, whenever one taps on that search bar, search history shows up. If you happen to use the Instagram search with a friend or colleague beside you then definitely it’s a threat to your privacy and they would come to know about the users whose profile you have been stalking.
After all, the search suggestions are shown based on your search history. So, you might be irritated by the inappropriate suggestions. And Instagram already have enough dangers to worry about.
If you don’t want that to happen then you can go ahead and delete the search history and suggestions from Instagram right away. In this tutorial, we will let you know the steps to do that on iOS and Android.
We have updated the steps and screenshots using the latest version of the Instagram app. Here, we have used Android app but, the steps are basically the same for iPhone as well with some slight design changes which should not be a problem if you are familiar with the steps below.
Now then, let’s get started!
Recommended for you: Turn Off Chat In Instagram Live
Clear Search History On Instagram
Please note that it is possible to delete specific profiles from search history in case you don’t want to remove complete search history on Instagram. We’ve covered the method for both so you can use the one you need.
Remove Entire Search History At Once
1. Open the Instagram app and log in to your account if not done already. Next, visit your profile by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
2. Under Profile tap on the hamburger icon at the top right and from the slider menu select Settings.
3. With this, the Settings screen will open. Here, select Privacy and security.
4. Now, on the next screen tap on Clear search history which you can find at the bottom.
5. Finally, tap on Clear search history once again and confirm.
Now, go back and tap on the search bar. Relieved? This will delete all the accounts and hashtags in the Recent section. However, you will see that the suggestions will come back in the Suggested section and they might still be accounts that you don’t want to see or appear.
To delete search suggestions follow the method below. You can also use the same steps to clear certain profiles or hashtags from Recent search history if you don’t want to delete all of them.
Recommended for you: Clear Play Store Search History
Delete Particular Instagram Search Suggestion Or History
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on the search icon which is next to the Home button.
2. Next, tap on the search bar at the top. On doing this, you’ll see the search suggestions and history if you haven’t cleared it.
3. Now for each suggestion, there will be an x icon next to it. You can tap on it to remove that particular account or hashtag from the Suggested or Recent section.
You can follow the same method to remove others if desired. For your ease, you can also select the specific tab like Accounts or Tags from the top and then perform the 3rd step.
Please note that there will always be some accounts as the suggestions that are shown depending on your search activity. That said, you can hide the ones desired with the above method when they show up.
Recommended articles for you:
Deleting recent search history is a piece of cake really. But I know it can be frustrating for the users to see the search suggestions even after clearing the search history but Instagram does that to let you connect with relevant accounts conveniently. Moreover, they have also given some degree of control to the users by providing an option to remove desired suggested profiles.
Let us know if you’re facing any issues or have any query in the comments below and don’t forget to share the article on social media if you found it helpful.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.