We have written quite a few tutorials at TechUntold on Instagram Stories since it was launched in August 2016. In this Instagram article, you will learn about methods to download someone’s Instagram Stories photos and videos without taking screenshots and without notifying or following them on the Instagram website, iPhone/iPad, Android, PC and Mac. Apart from that, we will also mention a method for downloading your own Instagram Story which is not a big deal and can be done directly with the Instagram app.
Besides that, if you are looking to save someone’s Instagram live videos without them knowing then we’ve covered that too in this guide. Use the links below to navigate to the desired section in this tutorial.
- Download Your Own Instagram Stories
- Save Others Instagram Stories Without Notifying Online
- Download Instagram Stories On Android Anonymously
- Save Someone’s Instagram Story Without Letting Them Know On iPhone/iPad
- Download Instagram Story To PC, Mac Or Phone
- Save Your Own Instagram Live Video
- Download Someone’s Instagram Live Video
Download Instagram Stories
1. Open your Instagram Story by tapping on your Profile icon on top of feed where Stories are listed or under your Profile.
2. Once your Story is opened, tap on 3 dots at the bottom right.
3. Select Save Photo or Save Video from the list of options.
Similarly, you can download other photos and videos in your story. You can even share an Instagram story as a post.
If you download your own stories quite often then there is no need to do it manually all the time as you can do it automatically. Here’s how.
Automatically Save Your Instagram Stories To Camera Roll/Gallery
The screenshots used for this section are from the iPhone app but there isn’t much of a difference for Android.
1. Open the Instagram app and go to your profile by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
2. Next tap on the gear icon(iOS) or 3 dots(Android) at the top right corner to go to the Settings.
3. Now, select Story Settings in the Account section.
4. In Story Settings, toggle Save to Camera Roll(iOS) or Save Shared Photos and Videos(Android) switch to ON.
That’s all there’s to it! The next time when you add photos/videos to your story, they will be automatically saved to your phone’s Gallery or Camera Roll.
Now, it is time to let you know about saving others Instagram Stories.
Disclaimer: You should not download anyone’s photos or videos without their knowledge and consent. If you do so then you are solely responsible for your actions.
Save Others Instagram Stories Without Notifying Online
To download others Instagram Story photos and videos you need to use the Instagram website. Follow the steps given below to save friends Instagram Stories anonymously.
1. You will need a Chrome browser to achieve this. Install Chrome IG Story extension.
2. After installing Chrome IG story extension on Chrome browser open Instagram or reload the web page if already opened. With this, all the stories of the people you follow will appear at the top of the feed. If you don’t see the stories at the top then reload the page or restart Chrome and open Instagram again. The stories shown at the top are from this extension and on the right-hand side are from Instagram.
3. The stories which you have viewed(from the app) are circled with gray and others are radiant. To save anyone’s Instagram story right click on their story avatar and select Download.
All the photos/videos in the Story of the selected user will be downloaded in a zip folder. The amazing thing is that you can download Instagram stories of private accounts (only for the people you follow) using this extension.
4. You can even download stories of the users you don’t follow (public accounts only) by clicking on the pop-out button indicated in the screenshot above. It will allow you to search for users by their username. From there, you can also view and download stories by clicking on the Download icon.
If all of a sudden Chrome IG Story extension stops working for you and the download icons disappear then do not panic. Just reload the web page and they will be back.
If you still don’t get them then reinstall the extension. After reinstalling the extension you will also need to log out and log in to your Instagram account again to make it work again.
The best part of this method is that you can download Instagram Stories without notifying.
Download Instagram Stories On Android Anonymously
If you are looking to download someone’s Instagram stories to an Android phone then you can use Story Saver for Instagram app on Google Play.
- Open the app after it is installed. You need to login to your Instagram account in order to save anyone’s Instagram stories by tapping on Sign in With Instagram on the home screen. Enter your Instagram account credentials and tap Log in.
- After you have logged into the app with Instagram you will see the list of all the people you follow that have active stories at that time. Tap on the desired username whose story you wish to download.
- The next screen will show all the photos and videos in their story. Tap on the desired media file and select Save. Similarly, tap on other files to download them to your phone.
Apart from that, you can use the search bar at the top to download Instagram stories without following but that is possible only for public accounts.
This app can also be used to view others Instagram Story without letting them know.
Download Someone’s Instagram Story Without Letting Them Know On iPhone/iPad
1. iOS users can download and install Story Reposter for Instagram app from the App Store by clicking here.
2. Open the app once it is installed. Type the username of the person whose story you want to download to iPhone/iPad and tap Search.
3. All the usernames having the search term will appear on the next screen. Tap on the desired person’s username.
4. The photos and videos in the story will appear. Select the desired photo/video.
5. Next, tap on Share and select Save Video/Image and allow the app to access Photos.
Likewise, you can save other files in the story or stories of other users.
To most users delight, you can view and download Instagram stories without following users using this app. Moreover, there is no login required while using this app. The only limitation is that you cannot download the story of private profiles using this app.
Download Instagram Story To PC, Mac Or Phone
If you are someone who doesn’t have the luxury to have an additional app just to save Instagram stories then you can follow this procedure.
1. Visit storiesig website using the following link from a browser of your choice on any device.
2. Type the Instagram username in the text box you see and press Enter.
3. If the username is valid and the person has active stories you will see the user with the number of files in the story. Click on the username.
4. On the next page, tap on the Download button below each media to save them to your device. This will do the job on PC, Mac & Android devices browser.
In case of iPhone or iPad, for images, a new page will load with the full-size picture. To save it to Camera Roll either long tap on the photo and select Save Image or tap on the Share icon and select Save Image.
4. For videos, you will need to install any file manager app from the App Store. Use the browser that comes with the File Manager app to visit storiesig website. Follow the same method to get to the screen where it will list all the stories of that person.
5. Now, tap on the video or Download button which will play it. Come out of the player by tapping on Done at the top left corner. Finally, tap on download icon at the bottom row followed by Confirm to save the video.
The video will be saved in the Downloads folder.
A great benefit of this tool is that you don’t have to log in with Instagram and it is not necessary for you to follow that particular user just to view/download the stories.
Download Your Own Instagram Live Video
Did you find some really interesting stuff in someone’s Instagram live video and you wish you could download it for future reference? You can very well achieve that even when the live video has ended.
In case you want your live video to be with you after it ends then Instagram allows you to save it.
When you end your live video on the same screen there is a Save option at the top right corner. Tap on it to save the live video to smartphone’s Gallery or Camera Roll.
Please note that the saved video will not have comments or heart bubbles.
Save Someone’s Instagram Live Video
Disclaimer: You should not download anyone’s live video without their knowledge and consent. We highly recommend you to do so and then proceed.
There are two ways to download others Instagram live – when it’s happening and when it has ended & shared as a story. Let’s go through both of them.
Method 1: In Real-Time
iPhone users can simply start iOS screen recording feature introduced in iOS 11 from the Control Center and then view the live video on the Instagram app. When the live video is finished you can stop the recording and the live video will be saved to Camera Roll.
Method 2: When Live Video Has Ended And Shared As A Story
As sharing live video to stories allows followers to rewatch them there are good chances of finding someone’s live video in Stories section. And if it’s there then use the following steps to download someone else’s live video.
You will need a computer and a Chrome browser. Once you have them proceed ahead.
- Add Chrome IG Story extension to Chrome browser.
- Now, visit the Instagram website and log in to your account. If you are already there then reload the page.
- After that, click on the Chrome IG Story extension icon somewhere at the top right. In the window that pops out, you should see Live Videos Replays section at the top. Under that, you will be able to see live videos shared by the people you follow.
- Click on the download icon next to the user whose live video you wish to save.
- Next, you’ll see a window that will inform you about the live video being streamed from 2 separate sources(1 for audio and other for video). Because of that, there are 2 download URL’s for audio and video respectively for a particular live video.
- Click on Open Audio URL and the new tab will load the audio with an option to download. Click on the download icon.
- For the video click on Open Video URL and the new tab will load the video. It will take some time depending on the length of the live video. Click on the download icon to save the video on your PC/Mac.
Unfortunately, you will have to merge the audio and video files into one by yourself.
Similarly, you can download the other live videos. The beauty of these methods is that even though you downloaded their video the owner won’t be notified.
You can also use the second method to view live video without letting them know and hide comments when watching Instagram Live.
We wish that this tutorial helped you to download your friends Instagram Stories or live videos without letting them know. Share the article if you found it helpful.