We have written quite a few tutorials at TechUntold on Instagram Stories since it was launched in August 2016. In this Instagram article, you will learn about a method to save someone else’s Instagram Story photos and videos without taking screenshots and without notifying them on the Instagram website, iPhone and Android app. Apart from that, we will also mention about downloading your own Instagram Story which is not a big deal and can be done directly with the Instagram app.
Before coming to saving Instagram Stories of friends or users you’re following let us quickly have a look at how to download Instagram Story.
Download Instagram Stories
1. Open your Instagram Story by tapping on your Profile icon on top of feed where Stories are listed or under your Profile.
2. Once your Story is opened, tap on 3 dots at the bottom right.
3. Select Save Photo or Save Video from the list of options.
Similarly, you can download other photos and videos in your story. You can even share Instagram story as a post.
Now, it is time to let you know about saving others Instagram Stories.
Disclaimer: You should not download anyone’s photos or videos without their knowledge and consent. If you do so then you are solely responsible for your actions.
Save Others Instagram Stories Without Notifying Them On The Website
To download others Instagram Story photos and videos you need to use Instagram Web. Follow the steps given below to save friends Instagram Stories.
Moreover, this extension can be used to view others Instagram Story without notifying them.
2. After installing Chrome IG story extension on Chrome browser open Instagram or reload the web page if already opened. With this, all the stories of the people you follow will appear at the top of the feed. If you don’t see the stories at the top then reload the page or restart Chrome and open Instagram again. The stories shown at the top are from this extension and at the right-hand side are from Instagram.
3. The stories which you have viewed(from the app) are circled with gray and others are radiant. To save anyone’s Instagram story right click on their story avatar and select Download.
All the photos/videos in the Story of the selected user will be downloaded in a zip folder.
You can even download stories of the users you don’t follow by clicking on the pop-out button indicated in the screenshot above. It will allow you to search for users by their username. From there, you can also view and download stories by clicking on the Download icon.
If all of a sudden Chrome IG Story extension stops working for you and the download icons disappear then do not panic. Just reload the web page and they will be back.
If you still don’t get them then reinstall the extension. After reinstalling the extension you will also need to log out and log in to your Instagram account again to make it work again.
The best part of this method is that you can download Instagram Stories without notifying.
Here’s a quick video tutorial about the same. Continue reading the article to download stories on Android and iOS smartphones.
Save Anyone’s Instagram Stories On Android
If you are looking to download someone’s Instagram stories on your Android phone then you can use Story Saver for Instagram app on Google Play. You need to login to your Instagram account in order to save anyone’s Instagram stories. This app can also be used to view others Instagram Story without letting them know.
Download Someone’s Instagram Story Without Letting Them Know On iPhone/iPad
iOS users can download and install
InstaStory on the App Store by clicking here.
Latest Update: The app is no longer available in the App Store. But you can follow the method after this one to save stories on an iOS device. It works for Android phones too.
If you remember the username there is no need to even log in to the app. To most users delight, you can view and download Instagram stories without following users using this app.
You can always log in using your Instagram credentials in the app if required. After you log in, the stories of all the users you follow will be listed. You can easily view and save them to your smartphone.
Download Anyone’s Instagram Story On iPhone Or iPad Without Jailbreak
As I mentioned earlier this will work for Android users as well. If you are someone who doesn’t have the luxury to have an additional app just to save Instagram stories then you can follow this procedure.
1. Visit storiesig website using the following link from your smartphone browser.
2. Start typing the Instagram username in the text box you see. It will suggest people based on what you type. Tap on the desired username and all the stories from that person will show on the next page provided they have uploaded stories and have a public profile.
Another great benefit is that it is not necessary for you to follow that particular user just to view/download the stories.
3. Tap on the Download button below each media to save them to your device. This will do the job on Android devices.
In case of iPhone or iPad, for images, a new page will load with the full-size picture. To save it to Camera Roll either long tap on the photo and select Save Image or tap on the Share icon and select Save Image.
4. For videos, you will need to install any file manager app from the App Store. Use the browser that comes with the File Manager app to visit storiesig website. Follow the same method to get to the screen where it will list all the stories of that person.
5. Now, tap on the video or Download button which will play it. Come out of the player by tapping on Done at the top left corner. Finally, tap on download icon at the bottom row followed by Confirm to save the video.
The video will be saved in the Downloads folder.
I understand that it is a bit of a lengthy method but considering that there are no apps on iOS currently which can do that, this is the best shot you got.
We wish that this tutorial helped you to download your friends Instagram Stories without letting them know. Share it if you found it helpful. Subscribe to our newsletter to get more Instagram guides delivered to your Inbox.