As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instagram Live has gained a lot of popularity since the feature to share the live video as Story for re-watching was launched. In this tutorial, we will tell you how to disable comments when streaming Instagram live if you are going live (owner) and also we share how to hide comments when watching Instagram live in real-time (viewer or owner) and when it is shared as Stories.
Besides this, we have also shared the methods to control comments on your posts – photos and videos added to your profile. Like you can turn off commenting on your posts, block certain people’s comments, or even hide them based on particular words/phrases.
Here are the navigation links to help you reach the desired section conveniently:
- Hide Comments When Streaming Your Instagram Live
- Hide Comments When Watching Instagram Live
- Disable Comments On Photos And Videos
- Block Comments From Certain People
- Filter Comments Based On Certain Words
So, let us get to it.
Hide Comments When Streaming Instagram Live
If you are creating a live video, you have total control over whether your audience can live comments or not – and you can switch between these two modes during the live streaming as well.
Hiding the Comments on Your Live Video
This is how to prevent viewers from commenting on your Instagram Live video:
- Launch the Instagram app and start a live video by going to the Stories camera screen.
- As soon as the video starts, tap on the 3 dots to the right of the comment box.
- Select Turn Off Commenting.
This is how it looks on the screenshots:
With this, users won’t have the option to comment on your video. Sigh! You can always enable them during the live broadcast if you decide to in the same video.
You can also watch this video to see the same steps:
Turn On Live Video Comments Back
You can always turn the comments back on:
- Tap on the same 3 dots in the comment box
- Select Turn On Commenting.
Doing this will turn the comments back on during the live video.
Hide Comments When Watching Instagram Live
It used to be possible to hide comments while watching an Instagram Live video but Instagram has disabled this feature.
it mean Instagram no longer allow you to hide the comments while you’re watching somebody’s else live video from the app.
But you can still do it if you want to watch the live streaming from your computer.
Use a Chrome Extension
As mentioned earlier, it is not possible to hide comments while viewing Live from the Android or iOS app but you can do this on your PC/Mac.
Also, what if you didn’t get a chance to see the live video while it was happening and now you’re viewing it in the Stories section. You might have already figured that tapping on the screen this time won’t remove the comments but it will forward or rewind the video by 15 seconds.
Well, this is not the first time and is definitely not going to be the last when a Chrome extension saves the day.
So, if you don’t already have Chrome browser then install it on your computer.
- Once you have it, add IG Stories for the Instagram Chrome extension.
- Visit the Instagram website and log in to your account. Reload the webpage if you were already logged in.
- Now you will see all the Instagram Live from your followers that are happening in real-time labeled as Live and other live videos that are shared to stories marked with a YouTube-like icon available at the top in the stories tray as shown in the screenshot below. Click on the one you wish to see, and a new tab will open.
- As it starts showing the Live, you will get the option to Hide comments at the top on the right-hand side, select it and all the comments and emojis will disappear.
- To bring the comments back, just tap on Show comments and that’s it.
- The good thing about this extension is that you can watch the Live video with both the audios and videos at once.
With this, Instagram Live will play without any comments in the new tab to keep you from getting distracted. Currently, you cannot hide comments from Instagram live from the app. But this method enables you to do it from a computer and this is definitely the best shot you got right now.
See Also: How To Use Instagram Direct On PC or Mac
Disable Comments On Instagram Photos Or Videos
As an Instagram content creator, you may also want to disable comments on some uploaded photos or videos.
The steps are the same for both Android and iPhone/iPad with slight changes. You will find screenshots from the iPhone app in this guide.
You can block comments for already uploaded photos/videos and also for new posts.
First, let us have a look at turning off comments for existing posts.
Turn Off Comments For Already Uploaded/Existing Photos Or Videos
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile screen by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right. If you have added multiple Instagram accounts on the app then you will see the account profile picture.
- Under your profile tap on the photo/video for which you wish to disable the comments option.
- Now, tap on the 3 dots icon above the post on the right side and select Turn Off Commenting.
Similarly, you can do it for other existing posts if desired.
Hide Comments Option While Uploading Instagram Posts
You can block comments for particular posts while uploading them. For that, follow the same steps as usual for sharing posts on the photo-sharing app. But on the final screen, which has the Share option you should see Advanced settings below the choices to share Instagram posts on Facebook, Twitter etc. Tap on it.
Under Advanced Settings, toggle Turn Off Commenting switch to On.
With this, comments for this post will be disabled. Similarly, you can follow the steps for other posts if and when desired.
The comments for that particular post will be disabled on the Instagram website too. But currently, there is no option to turn on/off comments from the Instagram website.
You can always turn on the comments from the app if desired later by opening the photo/video. Tap on the 3 dots icon and select Turn On Commenting.
Following these methods, you can turn off comments on Instagram posts which are already uploaded or even while sharing new ones. Comments option will still be there for other posts.
You can also watch this video:
Block Comments From Certain People On Instagram
Both public and private accounts can turn off comments for specific users. Here’s how.
Before proceeding, I recommend you to update the Instagram app to the latest version from respective app stores.
- Launch the Instagram app and go to the profile screen by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
- Then tap on the hamburger icon at the top right and then select Settings from the bottom.
- After this, from settings go to Privacy and Security, and inside this, you will see the Comment Controls option, select it.
- Tap on the number shown next to Block Comments From label. It is also possible to allow comments from certain people if required.
- On the next screen, type in the name of the specific user. The user may or may not follow you but you can still search and block them. Same is the case if you are following them or not.
- Typing the username will bring up that user with a Block button next to it. Tap on it.
That’s all there is to it. Similarly, you can block other desired users from commenting.
When the blocked users comment on your photos or videos the comment will be automatically hidden and will not be visible to anyone but them.
Later if you change your mind you can unblock users from commenting from the same place and use Unblock option.
If you don’t already know then you can even hide comments based on specific words or phrases.
With Instagram having users from all over the world. If you have a Public profile then it is easy to find your account for people sharing the same interest using hashtags. This causes a lot of comments on your Instagram photo/video and as you might know, not all the comments are good. Some can be abusive or offensive. You can always turn off the comments for specific posts. But that would mean no comments or feedback at all. To avoid that, you can turn on Hide Inappropriate Comments option.
Here’s how you can use this feature.
Filter Comments Based On Particular Words Or Phrases
Navigate to the Comment Controls in Settings using the steps given in the above section. After that:
- Toggle Hide Offensive Comments switch to On.
- Next, also enable the Manual Filter and add the keywords or phrases you want to use for filtering comments.
3. Finally, tap on Done to save the changes.
That’s all there is to it! All the comments containing those words or phrases irrespective of the post will be hidden/blocked automatically. You won’t even get a notification for those comments.
See Also: How To See Someone’s Instagram Activity
Isn’t all of these options helpful from Instagram?
A lifesaver actually for many as you don’t have to manage comments manually. Poor, abusive, trolling or offensive comments can be taken care of automatically using these settings. Also, you can disable comments and even control who can comment on your posts or live video.
If you found this tutorial helpful then don’t forget to share it on social media.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.