Instagram Live has gained a lot of popularity since the feature to share the live video as Story for re-watching was launched. In this tutorial, we will tell you how to disable comments on Instagram live if you are going live(owner) and also we share how to hide comments when watching Instagram live in real-time (viewer or owner) and when it is shared as Stories.
Besides this, we have also shared the methods to control comments on your posts – photos and videos added to your profile. Like you can turn off commenting on your posts, block certain people comments or even hide them based on particular words/phrases.
So, let us get to it.
Hide Comments When Watching Instagram Live When it’s Happening
Update: This method has stopped working perfectly. That said, you can use it to hide the comments to a certain extent.
Well, this is quite straightforward. If you don’t want the hearts and comments coming up on the screen then you can peacefully view it without any of it by tapping on the screen once.
This will get rid of any comments or hearts and you will only see the live video. You can get them back later during the video by tapping again if desired.
But what if you didn’t get a chance to see the live video while it was happening and now you’re viewing it in the Stories section. You might have already figured that tapping on the screen this time won’t remove the comments but it will forward or rewind the video by 15 seconds.
So, if you want to achieve this then follow the method below.
Hide Comments When Viewing Instagram Live In Stories
It is not possible while viewing live video from the Android or iOS app but you can do this on your PC/Mac.
Well, this is not the first time and is definitely not going to be the last when a Chrome extension saves the day.
So, if you don’t already have Chrome browser then install it on your computer.
- Once you have it, install the Chrome IG Story extension using the following link.
- Visit the Instagram website and log in to your account. Reload the webpage if you were already logged in.
- Click on the Chrome IG Story icon at the top right. Doing this will fetch and show you all the live videos from the users you follow in the new window in the top section – Live Video Replays.
- Click on the download icon next to the desired user and click on Open Video URL.
With this, the live video will play without any comments in the new tab to keep you from getting distracted.
However, there won’t be any audio. If you wish to listen to the audio as well then you should go back also click on Open Audio URL.
Currently, you cannot hide comments from Instagram live when added to Stories from the app. But this method enables you to do it from a computer and this is definitely the best shot you got right now.
Prevent Viewers From Commenting On Your Instagram Live
1. Launch the Instagram app and start a live video by going to the Stories camera screen.
2. As soon as the video starts, tap on the 3 dots to the right of the comment box.
3. Select Turn Off Commenting.
With this, users won’t have the option to comment on your video. Sigh! You can always enable them if you decide to in the same video.
Turn On Commenting
Tap on the 3 dots in the comment box which says Comments Turned Off and select Turn On Commenting.
Doing this will turn the comments back on during the live video.
Disable Comments On Instagram Photos Or Videos
The steps are the same for both Android and iPhone/iPad with slight changes. You will find screenshots from the iPhone app in this guide.
You can block comments for already uploaded photos/videos and also for new posts.
First, let us have a look at turning off comments for existing posts.
Turn Off Comments For Already Uploaded/Existing Photos Or Videos
1. Open the Instagram app and go to your profile screen by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right. If you have added multiple Instagram accounts on the app then you will see the account profile picture.
2. Under your profile tap on the photo/video for which you wish to disable the comments option.
3. Now, tap on the 3 dots icon above the post on the right side and select Turn Off Commenting.
Similarly, you can hide comments option for other existing posts if desired.
Hide Comments Option While Uploading Instagram Posts
You can block comments for particular posts while uploading them. For that, follow the same steps as usual for sharing posts on the photo-sharing app. But on the final screen, which has the Share option you should see Advanced settings below the choices to share Instagram posts on Facebook, Twitter etc. Tap on it.
Under Advanced Settings, toggle Turn Off Commenting switch to On.
With this, comments for this post will be disabled. Similarly, you can follow the steps for other posts if and when desired.
The comments for that particular post will be disabled on the Instagram website too. But currently, there is no option to turn on/off comments from the Instagram website.
You can always turn on the comments from the app if desired later by opening the photo/video. Tap on the 3 dots icon and select Turn On Commenting.
Following these methods, you can turn off comments on Instagram posts which are already uploaded or even while sharing new ones. Comments option will still be there for other posts.
Block Comments From Certain People On Instagram
Both public and private accounts can turn off comments for specific users. Here’s how.
Before proceeding, I recommend you to update the Instagram app to the latest version from respective app stores.
- Launch the Instagram app and go to the profile screen by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
- Under profile tap on the cog icon(iOS)/3 dots(Android)
- In Options, come down till you see Comments in the Settings section. Tap on it.
- At the top, there is a new Comment Controls section introduced. Tap on the number shown next to Block Comments From label.
- On the next screen, type in the name of the specific user. The user may or may not follow you but you can still search and block them. Same is the case if you are following them or not.
- Typing the username will bring up that user with a Block button next to it. Tap on it.
That’s all there is to it. Similarly, you can block other desired users from commenting.
When the blocked users comment on your photos or videos the comment will be automatically hidden and will not be visible to anyone but them.
Later if you change your mind you can unblock users from commenting from the same place and use Unblock option.
If you don’t already know then you can even hide comments based on specific words or phrases.
With Instagram having users from all over the world. If you have a Public profile then it is easy to find your account for people sharing the same interest using hashtags. This causes a lot of comments on your Instagram photo/video and as you might know, not all the comments are good. Some can be abusive or offensive. You can always turn off the comments for specific posts. But that would mean no comments or feedback at all. To avoid that, you can turn on Hide Inappropriate Comments option.
Here’s how you can use this feature.
Filter Comments Based On Particular Words Or Phrases
1. Launch the Instagram app and go to your profile screen by tapping on the profile icon.
2. Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(iOS) and 3 dots(Android) at the top right corner.
3. In Options screen, select Comments under Settings section.
4. Now, toggle Hide Offensive Comments switch to On.
5. Next, also enable the Manual Filter and add the keywords or phrases you want to use for filtering comments.
6. Finally, tap on Done to save the changes.
That’s all there is to it! All the comments containing those words or phrases irrespective of the post will be hidden/blocked automatically. You won’t even get a notification for those comments.
Isn’t all of these options helpful from Instagram? A life saver actually for many as you don’t have to manage comments manually. Poor, abusive, trolling or offensive comments can be taken care of automatically using these settings. Also, you can disable comments and even control who can comment on your posts or live video.
If you found this tutorial helpful then don’t forget to share it on social media.