This tutorial is a result of one of those queries which users ask us via our Contact form, Social Media or personal accounts of our editors. There was a question a user requested me to answer on Quora – “How can I add Instagram stories from Gallery or Camera Roll?” and hence I have come up with this tutorial to explain the steps to add photos and videos to Instagram story from smartphone’s Gallery.
You might wish to upload a photo from your iPhone Camera Roll or Android Gallery because that is one of the best shots you took. Or you weren’t able to access Instagram when that moment was happening. For such situations, Instagram does allow you to post photos and videos from your smartphone’s gallery to your Stories at a later time. Here’s how.
Add Posts To Instagram Stories From Gallery Or Camera Roll
1. Open Instagram and tap on the Camera icon at the top left corner or swipe right on your news feed to create a story. If it is your first photo or video in your story then you can also tap on the Your Story avatar in the stories tray.
2. You will be taken to the Story Camera. Here you will be able to see the Gallery icon with the thumbnail of the most recent photo in your phone’s Gallery at the bottom left. Tap on it to get the photos or videos from the Camera Roll or Gallery.
3. On this screen, you will be able to see all the media from your Gallery or Camera Roll. You can even switch to different albums by tapping on Gallery drop-down menu. Unlike earlier, it is also possible to select photos that are more than 24 hours older. Basically any photo or video in your gallery.
On iPhone, users need to tap on the Last 24 Hours drop-down menu to select from old photos or videos in the Camera Roll.
4. Next, tap on the desired photo to select it. The date sticker will automatically be added to the photo or video showing when it was taken if it’s from another day. But you have the freedom to resize, rotate or even remove it by simply dragging and dropping it to the trash icon like you would delete any other sticker.
5. After this, you can do all the editing you want as usual and then send it to your story or friends via DM.
You can also upload multiple photos/videos to Instagram story from Gallery at once by using the “Select Multiple” icon at the top right on the window that appears in step 3 above. But that is available only on Android app for now.
iOS users will have to come back to the home screen(news feed) of the Instagram app after posting the first photo/video. Now, don’t tap on Your Story avatar to upload second or more photos/videos. Use the below two options as shown in the screenshot below to get to the Camera screen and then add another media file. Repeat the same until you have uploaded all the desired photos/videos to your story.
Resize The Photo Properly While Adding From Gallery/Camera Roll
Now, you might face an issue with photos being zoomed in and not completely visible while adding them from the smartphone’s gallery to Instagram Story.
To take care of that you can pinch and resize the photo according to your requirement.
Alternatively, if you don’t bother too much about picture quality then taking the screenshot of the desired photo and then adding the screenshot to your Instagram Story will also work.
These will make the image fit perfectly with blank spaces on the top and below the picture which can be used to add text, emoticons or draw something.
While talking about Instagram stories you might also want to hide Instagram Story from specific followers.
Share this tutorial with your Instagram friends if you found it useful. And while you’re there follow TechUntold on Instagram.