Want to read Instagram messages without being seen? Or you have already accidentally viewed someone’s IG message and you are looking now to delete or undo your seen action? Check our post to learn how to do it!
If you are not ready to use a spy app or simply do not have access to the phone of the person in interest, read about a simple trick that allows you to hide the ‘Seen’ icon of Instagram DMs or to prevent sending a read receipt.
This method works with the latest version of the Instagram app.
How To Know If Your Instagram Direct Message Is Read?
You can easily know if someone has read your direct message on Instagram. If “Seen” appears below the message you sent then that means the recipient has read it, otherwise not.
Also, if there are multiple users in the conversation then an eye symbol will appear with the Instagram username who has viewed your message.
Unsee Instagram Direct Message
Now, what if as a recipient of a message you do not want the Seen to appear when you read the message? There is no direct setting or option to hide Instagram messages read receipts and you need to follow the below workaround.
Follow the steps:
- As soon as you receive a direct message, you will get an Instagram push notification. Do not tap on it.
- Open the Instagram app and tap on Instagram Direct icon at the top right corner.
- Instagram Direct conversations will load. Do not open the conversation for which you want to hide the read receipt.
- Turn Off WiFi or cellular data (disconnect from the Internet completely)
- Now, select and open the desired conversation to read the messages and at the same time don’t want to alert the sender with Seen receipt. You will be able to view the messages.
- After that, you will have to log out of your Instagram account. Don’t turn On the internet or Wi-Fi yet. You need to log out of your Instagram account without an internet connection.
- To log out, come back to the news feed(Home) screen and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right of the screen.
- Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(3 dots on Android) at the top right corner and select Log Out.
- Now, switch on the Wi-Fi on your smartphone and log in to your account on the Instagram app.
The sender won’t get Seen even though you read the message.
You can continue to use Instagram Direct with other users and still the user won’t get notified that you have viewed their messages. But do not open the conversation for which you wish to hide your Seen action. If you do that then the sender of the messages will get the seen receipt.
In case they send more messages then follow the same steps above to read their message without letting them know.
Here’s a video where I am explaining the same hack:
Can you unsee a message on Instagram?
You can unsee a message on Instagram with a simple trick. In your IG app, go to Instagram Direct to load all the dialogues to the memory. Turn off the internet, read the message, mark it unread. Close the IG app and turn on the Internet. The message will appear as unseen and unread.
Now you know how to read Instagram direct messages without being seen or at least how to “unsee” it after. If you would like to do the same with IG stories, read our post about how to unsee Instagram story.
If you want to spy on other Instagram data, you should use an Instagram spy app. Check our list to see the requirements and how to work with these apps.
Did you like our article? Let us know what you think in the comments!