If you’re an iPhone user, you’ve probably used the Messages app to communicate with your friends and family. Did you know that you can also send your location to them using Messages?
It may come useful when you want your child to report their location and you do not want to use any spy apps because you have a good relationship with your kid.
One of my friends wanted to do this and she asked me how her daughter could report her location. I show her a few ways and then, I decided to write this article.
Let’s see how to send your location on iMessage – as well as without iMessage.
- 1 Sending Your Location On iMessage: Step-By-Step
- 2 Sending Your Location Without iMessage
- 3 Video With Steps
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Send Location On iMessage Conclusion
- 6 About The Authors
Sending Your Location On iMessage: Step-By-Step
Before I proceed with the step-by-step guide on how you can send your location on iMessage, you need to enable location sharing in the first place.
You won’t be able to send your location if this setting isn’t enabled. Your phone needs your GPS enabled in order to tell where you are at the moment. If you don’t turn on location services on your phone, it won’t be able to access the built-in GPS.
First: Enable Location Sharing
To do this, just follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and tap “Privacy.”
- Next, tap “Location Services”.
- You’ll see an option called Location Services. Make sure that it is turned on.
Once location sharing is enabled, you can now send your location on iMessage.
Next: Send Your Location With iMessage
- In the Messages app, find the conversation in which you want to share your location.
- Check the apps list below the text and look for Google Maps.
- Tap on the “Send your current location” button.
- Once you’re done, click the blue top-facing arrow button at the side to send it.
- Your location will now be sent as an iMessage.
The receiver will see your current location on a map. They can also tap on the “Directions” button to get directions to your location using the Maps app.
Want to learn more about your iPhone’s Message app? Here’s how you can remove apps from the Message app on iPhone and iPad, here’s how to turn off read receipts, and here’s how you can log out of iMessage!
Sending Your Location Without iMessage
If you’re sending your location to someone who is not an iPhone user or who doesn’t have the iMessage app, there are still plenty of free ways that you can send your current location to someone else.
Using Apple Maps
Even if you can’t use iMessage to message the other person, you can still use the default Maps app on your iOS device to send your location.
- Open the Maps app on your iPhone and find the location you want to share.
- Swipe up to bring up the menu.
- Tap on the “Share My Location” button found in the lower part of the screen.
- Select the “Messages” option from the share sheet.
- Find the conversation in which you want to share your location.
- You can add some text before you tap on the green top-facing arrow button.
- Your location will be sent as a regular text message.
Using Google Maps
Another way that you can still share your location with somebody else is the Google Maps app. This app is available for both Android and iPhone users.
Even if you’re an Android user who wants to send your location to an iPhone user and vice versa, Google Maps can help you.
- Open the Google Maps app on your phone.
- Find the location you want to share.
- Tap on your profile button in the upper-right corner.
- Click “Location Sharing.”
- Tap “New Share” at the lower right side of the screen.
- Google Maps will confirm if you’re okay to share your location with a link.
- Tap Share.
- Click “More Options.”
- Find the conversation in which you want to share your location on Google Maps.
- Tap the “Send” button.
Your location will be sent as a clickable message.
Using Live Location Sharing Services
There are also live location-sharing services available that allow you to share your location in real time. Some of the best live location-sharing services include:
- Google Maps (Android, iPhone)
- Facebook Messenger (Android, iPhone)
- WhatsApp (Android, iPhone)
- Find My Friends (iPhone)
To share location using these services, simply open the app and share your location with the people you want to share it with. They’ll be able to see your location on a map in real-time as long as they have the app open.
Keep in mind that providing location access to apps will use your battery life more quickly.
Video With Steps
Watch our video to see the steps in action:
There are many reasons why your iPhone won’t let you share your location. The most common reason is that you don’t have the feature turned on in your Settings app. It’s also possible that the other person doesn’t have iMessage, so you need to try another method listed above.
Send Location On iMessage Conclusion
As you can see, there are plenty of ways that you can send your location to somebody else using your iPhone or Android device. Whether you use iMessage, the Maps app, or a live location-sharing service, sending your location is quick and easy.
Did you enjoy this article? If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us in the comments below!