As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Snapchat has made it possible to share your live location with your friends on an individual basis. Moreover, they have also given an option to request the location of a friend in the chat if desired. In case you request the location of a friend they will receive a request in chat. If they accept or approve your request then you will be able to see their location on the Snap Map. Because of the availability of ‘Request Location’ option you might get a lot of unwanted location requests. To prevent that from happening Snapchat has also given an option to block or disable location requests from friends. Here in this tutorial, we share the methods to send or request location and how you can stop friends from requesting your location on Snapchat.
The steps are similar for both Android and iOS. So, you need to update the app and follow the steps below.
Don’t Miss: How To Tag Someone In Your Snapchat Story
Request Or Share Location In Chat
- Firstly, make sure that location services are enabled on your phone and Snapchat has access to it.
- Open the app and head to the chats by tapping on the chat icon at the bottom left or by swiping right.
- Next, tap on the desired friend’s Bitmoji just to the left of their name. Alternatively, you can open their chat and inside the chat, tap on their Bitmoji at the top left corner. If they haven’t added a Bitmoji then there will be a blank avatar similar to the one in the screenshot below.
- Now, most likely(more on this later in Key Points section below) you will get two options. They will be – Send My Location and Request Location.
- Select the desired one. When you request the location of a friend they will get a message with your request in their chat. If they accept your request by selecting Share Location then you will receive a map with their location.
- You can also long press on the map and select Save in Chat to save and keep it for longer in the chat. One can also cancel the request by selecting Ignore.
When you send your location, they will receive a map preview in their chat and on tapping on it, Snap map will open with your live location.
Send Or Request Location On Snapchat – Key Points
- You can only request or share locations with the users who are your friends and they have also added you as their friend.
- You will not be able to request the location of a friend if they have hidden the location from you in Settings. The Request Location option will either be missing or will be greyed out for you in this case.
If required you can also hide your location from certain friends or share it with selected friends. Here’s how.
- From the Camera screen, tap on your Bitmoji and select gear icon on the next screen to go to Settings.
- Here in Who Can… section, select See My Location.
- Now, under Who Can See My Location tap on My Friends, Except… if you wish to hide your location from a few friends while select Only These Friends… in case of sharing location with only a few people.
- Select the desired friends and tap on Done.
- If you haven’t used Snap Map before then it will ask for your permission.
- In case, you have enabled Ghost Mode then it will be disabled automatically if you share your location with someone in chat.
- If they’re already sharing their location with you then you won’t see Request location option instead there will be a map with their location.
- You can explicitly stop friends from requesting your location by disabling location requests in settings. Here’s how.
Don’t Miss: How To Video Chat Or Call On Snapchat
Turn Off Location Requests On Snapchat
Note: We have used the screenshots from iPhone 6s here.
1. Open Snapchat and go to your profile screen. You can do so by tapping on your Bitmoji or avatar at the top left. In case you have an active story then you will see your story thumbnail there.
2. On your profile screen, tap on the gear icon at the top right.
3. Now, scroll down until you see Who Can… section. Tap on See My Location under that.
4. Finally, toggle the Allow friends to request my location switch to Off. In the case of Android, just uncheck it.
That will do the job.
In the future, if you want to enable location requests they can be turned on from the same place.
To get more out of Snapchat, we recommend you to also go through the following articles.
- How To Do A Poll On Snapchat
- How To See Your Friends On Snapchat
- How To Shazam A Song On Snapchat
- How To Tell When Someone Was Last Online On Snapchat
Prevent Or Block Friends From Requesting Your Location On Snapchat
If you don’t want your friends to send you location requests then you can simply turn them off as mentioned above. Even if you disable location requests you can still request the location of your friends provided they haven’t disabled it. What is it gonna be for you? Are you going to allow location requests or turn them off? Share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, let us know in case of any queries or issues you might be facing.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.