Snapchat has made it possible to share your live location with your friends on an individual basis much like WhatsApp live location sharing. Moreover, they have also given an option to request the location of a friend in the chat if desired. In case you request the location of a friend they will receive a request in chat. If they accept or approve your request then you will be able to see their location on the Snap Map. Because of the availability of ‘Request Location’ option you might get a lot of unwanted location requests. To prevent that from happening Snapchat has given an option to block or disable location requests from friends. Here in this tutorial, we share the methods to send or request location and how you can stop friends from requesting your location on Snapchat.
The steps are similar for both Android and iOS. So, you need to update the app and follow the steps below.
Request Or Share Location In Chat
- Firstly, make sure that location services are enabled on your phone and Snapchat has access to it.
- Open the app and head to the chats by tapping on the chat icon at the bottom left or by swiping right.
- Now, you have 2 options.
- Either long press on the desired friend’s name and you’ll see two new options – Send My Location or Request Location.
- Or open the chat screen by tapping on the desired friend’s name and tap on the hamburger menu icon at the top left. Here too, you can find the two newly introduced options.
- Select the desired one. While requesting the location of a friend you will have to confirm by tapping on Request Location in the pop-up. If they accept your request then you will receive a map with their location.
When you send your location, they will receive a map preview in the chat and on tapping on it, Snap map will open with your live location.
Send Or Request Location On Snapchat – Key Points
- You can only request or share locations with the users who are your friends and they have also added you as their friend.
- If you haven’t used Snap Map before then it will ask for your permission.
- In case, you have enabled Ghost Mode then it will be disabled automatically if you share your location with someone in chat.
- You can stop friends from requesting your location by disabling location requests in settings. Here’s how.
Turn Off Location Requests On Snapchat
Note: I have used the screenshots from my iPhone 6 here.
1. Open Snapchat and go to your profile screen. You can do so by tapping on your Bitmoji or ghost icon at the top left. In case you have an active story then you will see your story thumbnail there.
2. On your profile screen, tap on the gear icon at the top right.
3. Now, scroll down until you See Who Can… section. Tap on See My Location under that.
4. Finally, toggle the Allow friends to request my location switch to Off.
That will do the job.
In future, if you want the location requests can be turned on from the same place.
Prevent Or Block Friends From Requesting Your Location On Snapchat
If you don’t want your friends to send you location requests then you can simply turn them off as mentioned above. Even if you disable location requests you can still request the location of your friends provided they haven’t disabled it. What is it gonna be for you? Are you going to allow location requests or turn them off? Share your thoughts in the comments below.