Snapchat is fun and unique because you don’t have to bother about handpicking the perfect picture or selfie to share with friends. The self-destructing nature of snaps and chats makes it instantaneous and suitable to share anything from your commute to your evening snacks.
However, if you have had issues in the past with the chats getting disappeared as soon as they are seen then you’ll like the latest update. Now, you can choose to save chats for 24 hours on Snapchat after they’re viewed. Read on to learn the steps!
Besides, sometimes, you would like to keep a record and history of important conversations. You can do so by saving such chats forever so that they don’t get removed after viewing like other messages.
Archived/Saved chats will stay in the chat screen until you unarchive them. Snapchat provides an easy way to do so and we have also mentioned it later in this tutorial.
Recommended: How To Send Looping Videos On Snapchat
- 1 How To Save Snapchat Messages For 24 Hours After Viewing
- 2 How To Save Chats In Snapchat Forever
- 3 Watch Our Video With The Steps
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Now You Know How To Save Snapchat Chats
How To Save Snapchat Messages For 24 Hours After Viewing
As required on most of the occasions you need to update the Snapchat app for Android and iOS if you want to make use of this feature. In case the other friend doesn’t have the latest version which supports this feature then you won’t be able to enable it for them.
Once the app is up to date, here are the steps to follow:
- In Snap, tap on the Chat icon at the bottom left icon.
- Now, select the conversation of the desired friend
- Tap on their Bitmoji (if they added it) or the ghost icon (if not) at the top left or tap on their Bitmoji directly which’s located on the left of their name in the chats section.
- Now, you will see a screen with options to share or request your friend’s location. Here tap, on the 3 dots at the top right and select Delete Chats…
- By default, Delete Chats… is set to After Viewing. From the pop-up box, tap on 24 Hours after viewing.
Alternatively, you can also do the following to achieve the same result.
- When on the Chats screen, press-and-hold on the desired friend’s conversation.
- From the options that appear select More.
- Now, tap on Delete Chats… and select 24 Hours after viewing.
When you do this, the setting is turned on for both parties which means that the chats will be saved automatically for 24 hours in the conversation on both phones.
After 24 hours the chats will be deleted automatically.
Recommended: How To Add Temperature To Snaps On Snapchat
A Few Things To Remember
- You will be able to see the earlier saved chats by scrolling down in the conversation.
- Anyone can change the setting in the conversation.
- The setting is available on per chat basis. So, you need to enable it for each chat individually if desired.
- All the chats in the conversation will be saved automatically for 24 hours.
If you want to keep the chats in a conversation longer or forever then you will have to archive or save them individually. Here’s how.
How To Save Chats In Snapchat Forever
Follow These Steps
Sometimes, we would like to keep some Snapchats forever. it is possible and in order to do that, follow these steps:
- In Snapchat, tapping on the chat icon at the bottom left
- Open the chat of the friend whose message you want to save.
- After that, tap on that specific message.
That’s it, it will be saved in your conversation.
Similarly, you can save forever (archive) other messages in that conversation or other conversations.
Recommended: How To Add GIFs To Snaps
Key Things To Note
- The messages are saved (archived) in the conversation of both the participants. This means that the other person can see that you have saved a message as it will be shown as saved in the conversation on their phone and vice versa.
- Only the person who saved (archived) the message can Unsave it by tapping on the saved message again. Until then, the saved message will keep showing in the conversation for both parties.
- The saved message will be highlighted in gray in the conversation for both friends.
So, as you can see it is a matter of a single tap to save Snapchat messages and save them in the chat. But again, you need to keep the few points in mind mentioned here to understand the feature properly.
Have a look at the following Snapchat articles as well:
- How To Turn Off Notifications For Certain Friends On Snapchat
- How To Get 3d Friendmoji On Snapchat
- Find Friends On Snapchat Without Username
- How To Make A Poll On Snapchat
Watch Our Video With The Steps
Check our video to see how you can do all above:
Do saved chats delete after 24 hours?
Saved chats do not delete after 24 hours if you press-and-hold on them to permanently save in the chat. To unsave saved chats at any time, press-and-hold on them again. You can also delete chats by pressing-and-holding on the message, then tapping ‘Delete.
How do you delete chats after 24 hours?
You can delete chats after 24 hours by pressing-and-holding on the message, then tapping Delete. Snapchat is designed to automatically delete messages sent in Group chats after 24 hours, even if they haven’t been viewed yet.
Does Snapchat save pictures in a database?
Snapchat saves pictures in a database only for a short period of time. it means that they automatically delete your snaps (pictures and videos that you send your friends) after they detect that a snap has been opened by all recipients or has expired.
Does deleting Snapchat delete saved messages?
Deleting Snapchat won’t delete saved messages. it will only delete your profile and personal information.
Now You Know How To Save Snapchat Chats
Personally, I end up opening the chat and miss to read the message and then it disappears when I open it again.
It’s irritating when I ask the friend to send the message again. So, definitely, I am going to choose to use the settings that allow the chat messages to get saved for 24 hours. In some cases, I may prefer to save the chat forever – as long as my friend agrees with it, of course.
How about you? Let us know in the comments down below and if you found the article helpful then don’t forget to share it on social media.