Facebook does contain cool information and posts but it is not free of spam. How often do you come across false news or stories in your news feed? Too often? Well, did you know apart from ignoring it and scrolling down to read other stories in your feed you can flag it as fake? Flagging such posts will not only keep uploader of fake news away but also protect others from getting the incorrect information. In this tutorial, you will find the steps to report fake news on Facebook from website or Android/iOS app.
Report Fake News on Facebook
The procedure remains the same for the app as well as website. Here, I have used screenshots from the website.
1. Open Facebook and log in if you haven’t already.
2. Go the post which has fake news. Click on the downward pointing arrow icon at the top right of the post and select Report Post(website) or Report this post(app).
3. On the next pop-up window/screen select, I think it shouldn’t be on Facebook and click Continue.
4. A new window will appear with a list of options. Select It’s a fake news story and click Continue.
5. With this, you have reported Facebook of the inappropriate news. If you wish you can block, unlike(if it’s a page), hide all posts from that account while still following or message the account who published that post.
Please note that reporting post with correct information is not going to work. As Facebook uses other signals like shares and more to detect hoax news stories. Also, they are working with fact checking organization FactCheck to address this issue in a much better way.
We hope that you were able to report fake news on Facebook. If you found the information useful in this tutorial then don’t forget to share it on social media to help others in flagging posts that are not genuine.