To recover deleted text messages on iPhone without using a computer, you need to have iCloud backups enabled. You can either restore an iCloud backup with your texts or check another device of yours that has sync enabled. If these don’t work, you can also use third-party apps like PhoneRescue.
Texting is one of the primary methods we use to communicate. Our texts can contain everything: business transactions, personal information, and even cherished memories.
That’s why it’s pretty frustrating if we accidentally delete important text messages. But does that mean that you should give up hope of recovering your deleted messages?
What if you don’t have the expensive software and technical skills necessary for data recovery? Is it still possible to get back your text messages?
Luckily for you, there are several methods you can use to recover deleted messages. In this tutorial, I’ll teach you the 3 best ways, including how to recover deleted text messages on iPhone without computer.
- 1 3 Best Ways To Recover Deleted Text Messages On iPhone Without Computer
- 2 FAQs
- 3 How To Recover Deleted Text Messages On iPhone Without Computer
3 Best Ways To Recover Deleted Text Messages On iPhone Without Computer
You can recover deleted iPhone text messages using 3 methods: through your iCloud backup, through your iPhone’s message sync feature, and finally through the PhoneRescue software. Let’s take a look!
Recovering Deleted Text Messages With iCloud Backup
iCloud Backup is the iPhone’s native cloud backup service. This software is integrated with your phone and is also available on iPads, iPods, and other iOS devices. As long as you have an Apple account, you can use the iCloud service for free, albeit with a limit on how much data you can store.
Because it’s practically built into your phone, backing up using iCloud is easy and seamless. However, one of its main disadvantages is that you only have free cloud storage of 5GB. If you want to store more than that, you will have to upgrade your storage plan for a recurring monthly fee.
iCloud backup automatically makes a copy of your iPhone’s data and saves it to the cloud.
This backup can store various iPhone data and information, such as app data and organization, device setting preferences, and home screen preferences. It can also keep iMessage, SMS, and MMS native to the device.
Additionally, the purchase history of things you bought with Apple Services, such as iTunes music, apps, books, and TV shows, ringtones, and visual voicemail passwords, are also included. It can also save data from your Apple Watch if you have one synced.
iCloud can restore the data it saves to your iPhone. However, one caveat is that it only works by means of replacement. This means that the existing data on your phone will first be deleted before the backup data can be restored to your device.
Once you stop or disable the iCloud service, it will only keep the last backup for 180 days.
How To Turn On Automatic iCloud Backups
You can recover deleted text messages using the iCloud backup function, but first, you need to have a backup stored in the cloud.
For reference, here’s how to enable automatic iCloud backups of your phone.
- Go to Settings and tap your name at the very top of the options list.
- The app will then present you with several tabs. Choose iCloud.
- From there, scroll down to iCloud Backup.
- You should see a button that enables automatic iCloud backup. Make sure this feature is enabled. From now on, your iPhone will automatically back up your data to the cloud at regular intervals.
- If you want to back up your data manually, you can also tap the Back Up Now button.
How To Recover Deleted Messages On Your iPhone Via iCloud Backup
Suppose you want to recover messages that you’re sure are included in a recent iCloud backup. In that case, you can restore deleted messages on your iPhone without a computer.
Once again, take note that restoring an iCloud backup will delete your existing data. If there’s anything new on your phone that wasn’t there before the backup was created, it will be deleted once you restore the iCloud backup. All other data will be replaced with the backup, as well.
If you’re prepared to do all this, here’s how to restore your messages with iCloud backup restore.
One more thing before we continue – you can only restore an iCloud backup in the iOS setup screen. To get to the setup screen, you need to either factory reset your current phone or get a new phone.
If your phone is new, skip to Step 6. If your phone already has existing data on it, start at Step 1.
- Go to Settings and click General.
- Scroll down and pick Reset.
- You’ll be presented with multiple options. Choose “Erase All Contents and Settings.” This will factory reset the contents of your iPhone and take you back to the setup screen.
- Once you’re on the setup screen, you’ll be asked to set up your Apple account. Complete all the necessary procedures until you get to the Set Up iPhone Screen portion of the setup.
- Tap the “Restore from an iCloud Backup” option instead of continuing with a clean slate.
- You will then be asked to log in with your Apple account. Keep your device connected to the internet during the whole process so that it can pull up the backup from the cloud.
- All the data you have backed up in this version will be included in the restoration, including any SMS you previously deleted.
Once again, keep in mind that if you restore a backup version where you already deleted the SMS, you still won’t be able to recover it because it doesn’t exist in the backup.
Therefore, make sure to pick a backup version that you are certain contains the messages you want to restore.
Recovering Deleted Text Messages From Other Apple Devices
iPhone has a feature that lets you sync your data across all your Apple devices via your iCloud account.
How To Sync iPhone Messages With Other Devices
If your Apple devices are logged in using the same Apple ID and you have Messages in iCloud enabled, all your iMessages can be synced.
For example, if you have an iPhone and a Macbook, you’ll be able to see your messages on both devices just by logging in using your Apple ID and enabling Messages in iCloud.
However, this may not work for newer devices with updated iOS versions due to ever-changing Apple updates. Also, this method doesn’t work 100 percent of the time. Sometimes, even if you sync your devices, the messages you want to recover will still not be there, perhaps because they’ve already been overwritten.
- Open Settings and click on your name at the very top.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Scroll down until you see the Messages option. Tap to toggle it on.
- Lastly, turn off auto iCloud backup to prevent automatic backups.
- You have to do this for other Apple devices that you may have.
How To Recover Deleted Text Messages With Message Syncing Method
By doing this method, your messages will now be synced to your other devices where you are logged into the same account. Check to see if your deleted messages are still on the other device. Unless they’ve been overwritten by new data – like can happen if you have auto iCloud backups on – they should still be there.
Recovering Deleted Text Messages With PhoneRescue For Mac
You don’t need a computer to recover deleted messages using the previous methods.
However, it’s hard to deny that the first method is only ideal for those who are setting up a new iPhone, while the second method is not effective at all times.
Using third-party apps on your computer is your best option if you want to recover deleted messages on your current phone without having to factory reset it. This third method is also a good alternative if message syncing doesn’t work for you.
PhoneRescue for Mac is an iPhone data management solution with various modules for the most common and pressing iPhone needs. With PhoneRescue, you can restore deleted messages on your iPhone without having much trouble, as long as your device version is supported.
Interested in learning more? You can read an in-depth review right here, or you can take a look at the short overview of its main features below.
PhoneRescue For Mac – Features
PhoneRescue is specifically created to backup and restore data, including deleted Android and iOS messages, without having to erase or replace the device’s existing data.
Here are some of its best features:
Message Recovery Through Backup
With PhoneRescue, you can easily restore your accidentally deleted messages, regardless if you’re using iTunes or iCloud backups.
Selective Backup Recovery
The native iCloud backup restore process requires you to completely delete all the data on your device before you can restore the backup. This can be very inconvenient, especially if you only need to recover one text bubble and you have other essential data on your current iPhone that you can’t sacrifice.
If you use PhoneRescue, you don’t have to worry about that. This data solution allows you to comb through your backup and recover only the information you need. You don’t need to touch your phone’s current data, much less erase all of it.
Message Recovery Without Backup
Not only can you recover messages from backup without having to factory reset your iPhone, but you can also recover deleted messages even if you haven’t backed them up in the first place.
With PhoneRescue, you can sort through your phone’s deleted memory and restore messages that haven’t been overwritten yet. This allows you to restore recently deleted messages even if you have no existing backup.
Retrieve All Kinds Of Important Data
PhoneRescue lets you recover not only messages but also all other deleted information. It can recover 31 types of data, such as call logs, videos, photos, documents, and contacts.
With PhoneRescue installed on your computer, you never have to worry about losing any important files ever again.
iMobie PhoneRescue has two very reasonably priced subscription plans.
The first plan costs $49.99 for a 1-year subscription for 1 computer. It includes all the features as well as 24/7 free customer support. The second plan is a lifetime subscription for 1 computer. It costs $59.99 and has the same features as the previous tier. There’s a 60-day money-back guarantee and instant activation code delivery.
PhoneRescue also offers a free demo with limited capabilities. With the demo, you can preview recoverable files to help you decide whether you should buy the paid version. If the messages you want to recover can’t be previewed on the demo version, that simply means they have already been overwritten and are no longer recoverable, even if you purchase a subscription.
If this all sounds good to you, click this link now to get PhoneRescue for Mac.
How To Recover Deleted Text Messages On iPhone With PhoneRescue
Although PhoneRescue offers a demo, you can only view recoverable files with it. In order to proceed with the restoration, make sure you subscribe to the paid version first.
There are two methods to recover deleted text messages with PhoneRescue: with backup or without backup.
Restoring Deleted iPhone Messages With Backup
Due to Apple’s recent updates, only older iOS versions are supported by PhoneRescue’s iCloud data recovery features.
For iPhones with Two-Factor Authentication turned on, only those that are iOS 10.3.3 and lower can use this method. For iPhones that don’t have Two-Factor Authentication turned on, however, this method will work, as long as the version is iOS 12.1 and older.
As long as you have a backup containing the message you want to retrieve and your device version is supported, then PhoneRescue can fetch it for you. Here’s how!
- Launch PhoneRescue on your desktop and connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cord.
- From the PhoneRescue interface, choose from either ‘Recover from iCloud’ or ‘Recover from iTunes.’
- You have to log in using your Apple email address and password to access your backups.
- Once logged in, select the backup that contains your desired messages.
- Next, you will choose the type of file you want to restore. By default, everything will be included in the restore process. However, since we only need messages, go ahead and uncheck everything except that file format.
- You can then scan the backup file for any recoverable messages. This allows you to check if the messages you want to restore are actually in the backup.
- In the next window, you will be given an option to either save the restored file to your computer or to your iPhone.
Restoring Deleted iPhone Messages Without Backup
You can also restore deleted iPhone messages even if you don’t have an iCloud or iTunes backup, as long as the data hasn’t been overwritten yet.
- Like in the previous method, launch the PhoneRescue app on your desktop, and connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- From the interface, pick ‘Recover from iOS Device.’
- In the next window, you will be able to pick the file that you want to restore. Just as before, make sure everything’s unchecked except for Messages.
- PhoneRescue will then scan your iOS device for the indicated file type, allowing you to see all recoverable messages. Select those that you want to recover and click the recover button.
- You can now export those messages either to your PC or to your iPhone as TXT files.
Is There A Way To Recover Texts On An iPhone Deleted Months Ago?
Even if you deleted the texts months ago, you can still recover them if you have a backup or if they haven’t been overwritten on your phone. You can recover these messages with the iCloud backup restore feature or by using third-party software, such as iMobie’s PhoneRescue.
Can You Recover Deleted Texts On iPhone Without Backup?
You can recover deleted messages even without an iCloud or iTunes backup by using a third-party solution, such as PhoneRescue. With PhoneRescue, you can recover deleted things directly from your device, as long as the file hasn’t been overwritten yet.
How To Recover Deleted Text Messages On iPhone Without Computer
Accidentally deleting your iPhone text messages can be scary and frustrating, especially if the missing text is essential. However, I’ve given you 3 easy ways to recover deleted text messages, even without using a computer.
If you use the iCloud backup restore function or regularly sync your messages with other Apple phones, you can recover iPhone messages without computer.
Meanwhile, you can use a reliable third-party solution, such as iMobie’s PhoneRescue to quickly recover your essential messages without hassle, even if you use a computer to do it.