Track WhatsApp chats on another phone by using Whatsapp web /desktop to access the target WhatsApp account or restore the target WhatsApp chats on your phone. You can also use a free/paid spy app, like mSpy or uMobix, to track WhatsApp messages on another phone.
Are you concerned about your child’s safety on WhatsApp? Do you want to know who they’re texting there? Well, you’re not alone. Sometime last month, I discovered that my 11-year-old niece had a WhatsApp account on her smartphone and was already sending and receiving tons of messages to/from individuals.
I was worried about her safety on the platform. So, I had to learn how to track WhatsApp chats from another phone. I’ll discuss the methods I discovered so by the end of this guide, you’ll know how to track your child’s WhatsApp messages from your phone.
- 1 Ways To Monitor WhatsApp Messages On Your Child’s WhatsApp Account: Summary
- 2 Things To Do Before Tracking Your Child’s WhatsApp Chats
- 3 Top 5 Methods To Track Your Child’s WhatsApp Messages
- 4 Comparison Table For Whatsapp Monitoring Apps
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Know What Your Child Is Up To On WhatsApp
- 7 About The Authors
Ways To Monitor WhatsApp Messages On Your Child’s WhatsApp Account: Summary
I have prepared a summary of the five ways or methods you can use to track your child’s WhatsApp messages. Check them out below:
- Using WhatsApp web/desktop.
- Linking the target account to your mobile device.
- Backing up and restoring the target WhatsApp data on your device.
- Using uMobix – Best WhatsApp spy app for real-time monitoring.
- Using mSpy – Leading phone monitoring solution for tracking WhatsApp messages and viewing all WhatsApp media.
Things To Do Before Tracking Your Child’s WhatsApp Chats
Before I show you ways to track your child’s WhatsApp messages, here are things you must do or put in place:
- Ensure you have physical access to your child’s device and WhatsApp account.
- Have a stable internet connection via mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Charge the target device, your mobile phone, and your PC to avoid them shutting off during the process.
- Learn everything about WhatsApp so you better understand the tracking methods I will share.
Top 5 Methods To Track Your Child’s WhatsApp Messages
According to Statista, a global data and business intelligence platform, WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app, with over two billion users worldwide. This huge number of WhatsApp users strengthened my resolve to take my niece’s safety seriously, as she is at risk of interacting with strangers with malicious intent.
So, in my quest to track her WhatsApp messages, I discovered several methods for monitoring WhatsApp messages and activities. I’ll discuss them below, so sit tight and read through them.
By Using WhatsApp Web/Desktop
Whatsapp web/desktop is a free feature provided by WhatsApp that allows users to access their accounts via a web browser. I found out that you can use this feature to view your child’s WhatsApp messages remotely. You can also download media, such as videos, photos, or audio files, from their account.
You don’t have to jailbreak or root your child’s phone to use this feature. However, you need access to their device and account to set it up. Check the steps below to begin:
It will take you about 4 minutes
- Open any web browser on your PC.
In my case, I used the Google Chrome browser.
- Type “https://web.whatsapp.com/” into the web browser’s address bar.
- When the page loads, you will see a unique QR code.
Leave it like that.
- Then, grab the target phone and open WhatsApp.
- For an Android device, click the three vertical dots icon at the top right section of the app.
- For an iPhone device, click “Settings” at the bottom-right corner of the app.
- Select “Linked Devices.”
- Tap “Link a device.”
- Then, point the camera toward the QR code displayed on the web page.
- Allow the scan to complete.
That’s it! You can now see their WhatsApp messages from your PC.
This YouTube video by Nasir – The Explainer, explains more about the steps above.
By Linking The Target Account With Your Mobile Phone
This free method is similar to the WhatsApp web method I mentioned above, as it requires using the “Linked devices” feature. The only difference is that it is done between two mobile devices, rather than between a phone and desktop computer. Also, you don’t have to root or jailbreak your device or your child’s. Follow the steps below to begin:
- If you have WhatsApp on your phone, uninstall and reinstall it again.
- Open it and tap the three-dot icon at the upper right corner.
Then, select “Link as companion device.”
A QR code will be displayed on the screen.
- Leave it like that and open WhatsApp on your child’s phone.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 above.
- Point the phone camera toward your phone screen to scan the QR code.
- When the scan is over, your child’s WhatsApp messages will load on your mobile phone.
By Backing Up & Restoring The Target’s WhatsApp Data On Your Device
This is another free method I discovered for tracking your child’s WhatsApp messages from another phone. Also, you don’t need to root or jailbreak your child’s device or yours. However, you have to ensure the target WhatsApp messages are backed up to Google Drive or iCloud.
From my experience, I learned that this method only works if your child doesn’t back up their WhatsApp data at the same time. Otherwise, the backup will be overwritten. iTooLab, a smartphone service provider, also cites this in its guide on WhatsApp Backup Overwrite.
So, you may have to do the backup occasionally to enable you to restore their messages when you want to track their WhatsApp activities. To begin:
- Open WhatsApp on your child’s phone.
- If it’s an Android device, tap the three vertical dots icon at the top right section of the app’s home screen to select “Settings.”
If it is an iPhone/iPad, select “Settings” at the bottom-right corner of the app’s home screen.
- Click on “Chats.”
- Tap “Chat Backup.”
Afterward, the backup process will begin. Allow it to run to 100%.
- Then, grab your own device.
- Uninstall and reinstall your WhatsApp app or download a new one from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Open the app.
- Tap “Agree & Continue.”
- Enter your child’s WhatsApp phone number.
Afterward, you will be directed to the page where you will restore backed-up messages.
- Tap “Restore Backup.”
WhatsApp will then automatically restore your child’s chat history and media from iCloud/Google Drive on your device, allowing you to monitor their messages remotely.
Howfinity explains more about these steps on YouTube.
mSpy is a mobile phone spy app you can use to monitor WhatsApp messages. It allows you to track messages and media on your child’s WhatsApp account. You can also keep it hidden on their device.
However, you will have to purchase a mSpy plan to use the WhatsApp tracking feature. The mSpy spy app costs $48.99/month (monthly plan), $27.99/month (quarterly plan), and $11.66/month (annual plan).
I also learned that you need to root the target Android phone or jailbreak the iPhone/iPad with older OS, to use mSpy to track the target WhatsApp messages. You can check the target device’s compatibility status in the table I provided below or on mSpy’s compatibility policy guide.
Make sure you read our mSpy review to learn more about this tool. Here’s how to set up mSpy on your child’s phone:
- Get an mSpy subscription and create your account.
- On your dashboard, click “Add a new device.”
- Select the type of device.
- Select manufacturer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to disable PlayProtect on your child’s device.
- Afterward, download the mSpy installer on your child’s phone.
To do this, type https://getmspy.net/ on any web browser on your child’s device.
- Click the “I’m not a robot” box, and then “Download” to begin downloading.
- While it’s downloading, turn on location services.
- When the download is over, tap “Open” to install the app and get it running.
- Go back to your mSpy control panel/account, locate “Whatsapp” in the left corner of your dashboard, and start tracking your child’s WhatsApp messages.
Consumer Buddy illustrates these steps further in this YouTube video:
uMobix is one of the best spy apps I discovered for monitoring WhatsApp messages. It allows you to access your child’s sent/received single and group chats, view all media files, and scrutinize their WhatsApp contact list. You can also put the app in stealth mode on their device.
Furthermore, I found out that you don’t have to root the target Android phone or jailbreak the iOS phone to use this spy app. However, it is a paid platform and doesn’t have a free trial, but you can get 10% off your subscription fee if you register via our link below. uMobix’s pricing plan varies for iOS and Android.
For iOS devices, the basic package is $29.99/month for one month, a one-month full plan is $49.99, a three-month plan costs $79.99 (at $26.66/month), and a 12-month plan costs $149.99 (at $12.49/month).
For Android, a one-month basic plan is $29.99, a one-month full plan is $59.99, a three-month plan is $99.99 (at $33.33/month), and a 12-month plan is $179.88 (at $14.99/month). Want to know more about this spy app? Check our comprehensive uMobix review. Here’s how to set up uMobix for WhatsApp monitoring:
- Sign up on uMobix.
- Login into your account.
- While you are on your dashboard, if your child is using an Android phone, get the device and disable Google PlayProtect to enable you to download the spy app.
According to Google, the parent company of Android OS, you have to disable Google PlayProtect to download a spy app like uMobix.
- Afterward, return to your uMobix portal on your desktop and click “Next” until you reach the part with the download URL for uMobix’s mobile APK file.
- Copy the URL or write it down somewhere.
- Open any web browser on your child’s device and input the link.
- Download and install the application.
- Then, open the app and click “Agree and Continue” on the home screen.
- Tap “Enable Keylogger Tracking” for the keylogger to work.
- You may then be redirected to the “Accessibility” tab on your child’s phone settings, where User Accounts is located.
Enable it by tapping on the toggle button.
Then, you’ll receive a warning. Just click “OK” to proceed.
- Afterward, on the setup page, click “Set up automatically.”
- Allow uMobix to go through all the permissions needed to set up the uMobix app on your child’s device.
- At the last stage of installation, you will be asked to provide a registration code.
- To get the code, go back to your uMobix control panel on your PC and go to step 3.
- You will see the 6-digit registration code in the “Additional Information” section.
Type the registration code on your child’s device.
- You can now start monitoring the target account’s WhatsApp conversations by clicking “WhatsApp” on the left side of your control panel.
Watch this YouTube video to see how to set up uMobix on Android devices:
- Pay for your preferred uMobix plan and login into your account.
- At the top-right corner of the webpage, click the iOS device setup wizard box.
- You will then be directed to the steps to install uMobix on the target iOS device.
- Back up the phone’s data to iCloud.
Check here briefly to see how to enable iCloud backup.
- Then, insert the iCloud credentials of the iPhone/iPad you want to monitor.
- After the credentials have been verified, click “Send verification code.”
I discovered that the verification code may take up to 20-30 minutes to arrive on your child’s phone, so don’t panic.
- Once you receive the verification code, return to the uMobix portal on your web browser and enter the code in the provided field.
- Afterward, a loading screen will appear, indicating that the app is downloading on your child’s device.
From my experience, I discovered that the download process may take up to 10 minutes. So, stay calm and allow it to complete. But if it takes more than 10 minutes, it may be frozen. If so, contact the uMobix support team.
- After the download, you will be redirected to your uMobix control panel, where you can start tracking your child’s WhatsApp messages.
Here’s a YouTube video on how to set up uMobix on iPhone/iPad:
Click here to get 10% off your uMobix subscription.
Comparison Table For Whatsapp Monitoring Apps
I have prepared this comparison table below to help you fully understand the details of the WhatsApp monitoring apps I reviewed above:
|Name||Key Features||Supported Devices||Free Trial/Demo||Our Rating|
|mSpy||1. GPS tracking|
2. Enables you to block inappropriate content on your child’s device
3. Review WhatsApp calls and spy on WhatsApp messages
4. Quite pricey
|Android OS 4 and above|
iOS 7 – 13+ without jailbreak
All iOS versions with jailbreak
|uMobix||1. View deleted WhatsApp messages on the target account|
2. Efficient GPS tracking
3. Complete remote control of the targeted device
4. Flexible pricing plans
|Android OS 4 and above|
All iOS devices
Is WhatsApp spying legal?
WhatsApp spying is legal depending on your intentions for spying and if you have the consent of the account owner. However, you don’t need consent if you’re a caregiver, guardian, or parent spying on the WhatsApp activities of an underage child in your care.
Can WhatsApp chat be monitored?
WhatsApp chat can be monitored. Despite its end-to-end encryption, you can use authentic spy apps to monitor WhatsApp chats. You can also use WhatsApp web/desktop feature to monitor WhatsApp chats directly on your PC.
Know What Your Child Is Up To On WhatsApp
Learning about these methods was important to me because I wanted my underaged relatives to have a wholesome experience on WhatsApp. So, I hope you enjoyed reading this tutorial and have found clarity on how to track WhatsApp messages on another phone.
If you don’t mind paying more to enjoy extensive WhatsApp monitoring features, mSpy is a good choice. However, if you’re on a budget and just want to track your child’s WhatsApp activities at most, uMobix offers flexible pricing plans and could be a good fit.
Moreover, apart from the two paid WhatsApp spy apps I discussed above, you can check out other free parental control apps. You may find a free WhatsApp spy app. If you have any questions, drop them in the comment section. Also, share this article so others can learn how to track WhatsApp messages on another phone.