Facial recognition on Facebook is certainly not a new thing. As you might have observed in the past that whenever you post a photo on Facebook it automatically suggests you the people to tag if any present. Recently, Facebook has expanded this feature and it can do a lot more now. It will prevent strangers from using your photo as their profile picture, hence fighting fake accounts. Apart from that, it will also alert you when you appear in photos and videos where you haven’t been tagged. The setting is enabled by default. However, if you don’t want your photos to be scanned then they do give an option to turn it off. In this guide, we share the steps to disable face recognition on Facebook from the website as well as Android and iOS app.
Facebook’s facial recognition uses your profile picture and the photos and videos that you’re tagged in to figure out if you are in someone’s photo or video. So, enough explanation about the feature let’s now see how to deactivate it for your account.
Disable Face Recognition On Facebook
Facial recognition can be turned off from both – website and the app. We have covered the steps for both here.
1. Go to the Facebook site and log in to your account if not done already.
2. Now, click on the drop-down icon at the top right and select Settings.
3. Next, click on Face Recognition at the left sidebar.
4. After that click on Edit next to the Face Recognition setting and select No from the drop-down.
That’s it! Face recognition will be disabled for you.
Alternatively, you can turn it off from the app.
1. Open the Facebook app and tap on Menu (Hamburger icon).
2. On the next screen, select Privacy Shortcuts in the Settings section.
3. Under Privacy Shortcuts, choose More Settings.
4. Here, you will see Face Recognition. Tap on it.
5. Now, tap on the question on that screen.
6. Finally, select No.
If you change your mind later you can turn on Face recognition from the same place on both website and app.
Suggested Read: How To Filter And Stop Facebook From Showing Bad Memories
So, these were the ways with which you can disable Facebook’s Face recognition. What do you think about this feature? Are you going to keep it enabled or turn it off? Let us know in the comments section below.