Waze is one of the best navigation and traffic apps to beat the traffic and take the fastest route.
This real-time GPS app not only helps in saving time by showing you the best route but also alerts you about road closures, accidents, and other mishappenings.
But apart from these features, Waze still has some shortcomings. Here you will get the 12 best Waze alternative apps that will help you to come up with the perfect navigation app for you.
- 1 Waze Alternative Apps
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Final Words: Our Choice
Waze Alternative Apps
Without a doubt Waze Maps are good but some users have faced issues with the app.
Some people reported that they faced problems with gas station prices. Some reported for the ads used in the app are too big, which is hampering the user experience.
So if you are facing these issues or for some other reason you are looking for similar apps like Waze, I have listed them which are available for iPhone as well as for Android users.
At first place, I would recommend you Google Maps as a Waze alternative. Google Maps is a user-friendly app that lets you set up the route very easily. Compared to other apps you will find lots of features in Google Maps.
- Performs very well than other navigation apps on older phones.
- Lots of features like location sharing, street view, save address and many other useful features available.
- You can add multiple destinations.
- Share your real-time location with your contacts.
- Sometimes Google Maps do not have the recent information like road blocks or about some construction work on the way.
This navigation app by Here Apps LLC has got 4+ ratings on Google Play Store and many good reviews too. This app is seen as a good substitute of Waze maps.
- Offline maps are available to save data usage.
- Using Here WeGo, you can find carsharing nearby to your place.
- If you are taking public transport, it will tell you the bus ticket prices and car fares before you head out.
- However, it offers more than 100 countries offline maps but many users are facing problem in downloading it.
- Users are also finding difficult to move it to SD card.
Link: HERE WeGo for Android
Another similar app like Waze is MapQuest. Many of the features in this app are same like Google Maps like sharing estimated time arrival and location with friends and family.
- Voice navigation feature like Google Maps.
- You can save frequently used routes.
- The app lets you check local weather to plan ahead accordingly.
- You can compare the nearby gas station prices.
- MapQuest is not available in all the countries.
Yandex maps app is developed by a Russian technology company. It provides detailed information of places, like street names, building names and other such information. The app is available for Android as well as for iOS users.
- You can download maps and use offline available for 1863 cities.
- Provides satellite pictures & panoramas and photos of building for interactive user experience.
- You can see saved locations on desktop, phones or tablets.
- Use compact maps to save space on device.
- It consumes a lot of battery and processor usage.
OsmAnd Maps makes its place in the list of best Waze alternative apps. This app provides high-quality OSM (OpenStreetMap) data. If you want this app to perform faster than use it in online mode.
- Provide voice guidance for every turn.
- It automatically re-routes when you deviate from the actual path.
- It has day/night mode which switches automatically.
- The app will notify you when you are exceeding the speed limit or there is stop signs. But this feature is only available for Android users.
- Users facing the problem with the voice guidance, it sounds robotic and distorted.
- Not as user-friendly as Waze app.
Organic Maps is an open-source free navigation app that was built with travelers, hikers, cyclists, and tourists in mind. It’s for those who want to venture out into the unknown with a little assistance.
It’s maintained by a small team that works on it in their free time using their own money and donations. One of the issues many users had with the Waze app was its abundance of ads. If ads or too many ads are an issue for you, then you’d like the Organic Maps app because it is ad-free.
Being an open-source app means that you can also assist in improving it by being a part of the OpenStreetMap community. This allows you to make corrections to paths in the app that are rectified in the next update. With an app like Organic Maps, accurate and helpful user data can make a huge difference.
With this app’s structure and team’s vision, it’s no wonder it boasts a 4.7-star rating on Google Play Store and a 4.9-star rating on Apple’s App Store.
- Exclusive and detailed offline maps
- Free with no ads
- Detailed walking paths, hiking trails, and cycling routes
- Fast offline search on the map
- Allows you to import and export bookmarks in the KML/KMZ formats
- Free from trackers or registration
- Available in Dark Mode
- Android and iOS compatible
- No satellite view of maps
- No public transport information
Sygic is a 3D offline navigation app that you can use to find your way to your destination. All the maps are stored on your phone, so you can use them without an internet connection. Sygic is one of the world’s most downloaded navigation apps, with a 4.5-star rating on Google Play Store and a 4.6-star rating on the App Store.
There’s a free and a premium model for Sygic. The app can be downloaded for free, however certain features, such as Android Auto and CarPlay connectivity, Offline 3D Maps with monthly updates, Lane Assistant, and more, are only available with the Premium version. Sygic provides you with real-time traffic updates so you can avoid traffic jams and report incidents too.
Sygic Premium is available for approximately $15.86 (€13.99) for 3 months and $22.67 (€19.99).
While Sygic Premium gives you the full power of the Sygic app, the free version also has some cool features, including offline search, offline maps, offline route calculation, access to POIs (Point of Interest), and offline speed cameras.
Overall, the Sygic app is definitely a worthwhile navigation app, especially if you opt for the premium model.
- Offline maps and search available
- Allows offline route calculation
- Speed camera feature warns you about upcoming speed cameras
- Compatible with Android Auto
- Offers CarPlay
- Wide range of features
- Competitive pricing
- Many of the best features, like Android Auto, are locked behind subscription
Avenza Maps is a navigation app that was built with nature lovers in mind. It can work offline using your phone’s GPS to track your location, measure distance and allow you to see where you are on the map. It’s great for offroading, hiking, and taking trails to see nature’s wonders. The Avenza Maps app is available for both Android and iOS devices.
One of Avenza Maps’ unique features is what’s known as the Avenza Maps Store, which offers a collection of nearly 1 million maps available for download. Avenza Maps’ features also include standard navigation, Geofencing, the ability to plot geotagged photos on the map, and more. Many of these features are available in the free version of Avenza Maps, but there’s also a Plus and a PRO version.
The Plus version is available for $29.99 a year and allows you upgraded features, such as the ability to import and activate an unlimited number of your own maps. This is more than the limited three maps that you can import and activate in the free version.
While the Free and Plus versions of Avenza Maps are for travelers and tourists, if you have a commercial or academic need then the PRO version might be for you. It’s available for $129.99 a year and includes all the free and Plus features. In addition, it also allows you to create your own maps, import and export shapefiles, and more.
With its features, it’s no surprise Avenza Maps has a 4.7-star rating on the Google Play Store and the App Store. It’s definitely a worthy navigation app.
- The free version has a variety of features
- Offline navigation with standard search and record features
- Allows you to purchase and download different maps
- Geofencing feature helps keep you out of dangerous areas
- Allows you to geotag photos on your map
- PRO feature allows you to create and distribute your own map
- Some features are locked behind a paywall
- The free version has a limit on map downloads
MapFactor Navigator is a free offline navigation app that was created by OpenStreetMaps (OSM). It boasts a 4.6-star rating on Google Play Store and a 4.7-star rating on Apple’s App Store. It’s completely free due to the OSM community’s commitment to developing and maintaining this high-quality navigation app in their spare time.
The MapFactor Navigator app covers over 200 countries and provides Live HD traffic information in 80+ of those countries. This makes MapFactor Navigator a great traffic app, and it even provides you with alternate routes. It boasts a wide range of features, and its offline navigation system means you can traverse a city without any internet.
Some of MapFactor Navigator’s features are pretty impressive, such as Android Auto Connectivity, 2D/3D mode for map display, route avoidance, route planning, and more.
While MapFactor started out as a free app and still has an amazing feature set for its free version, it also has a Premium and PRO model. The PRO model is mostly geared towards long-distance drivers, such as truckers. However, the average person would benefit from the Premium model.
The Premium model offers alternative routes, the ability to remove ads, head-up display, and change the app’s color scheme. The features can be bought separately or together for a discounted price of $9.07
The MapFactor Navigator app is a brilliant navigation app that’d be an asset for any traveler, whether local or abroad.
- The free version has many features
- 2D/3D viewing modes are available
- Free monthly maps update
- Many free features
- Allows for route planning and route avoidance
- Available on multiple platforms
- Android Auto connectivity is available
- Downloading a map requires several attempts before it’s completely downloaded
Gaia GPS is a navigation app that’s built to help you navigate the woods and keep safe out in nature. This is the map to take with you as you embark on an unfamiliar trail or hike a new hill or mountain. Whether you’re a backpacker, mountain biker, or skier, Gaia GPS can help you traverse unfamiliar territory.
This app offers three tiers of membership: Free, Premium, and Premium with Outside+. The free membership is quite limited in comparison to other navigation apps. With it, you only have Gaia’s default maps and can only access them online.
The Premium Membership, which costs $39.99 per year, offers a decent feature set, but less in comparison to other navigation apps. With this membership, you’re able to also access Gaia’s maps offline, as well as Gaia GPS’ entire map catalog, which includes Nat Geo Trails Illustrated, weather maps, satellite imagery, and more.
The Premium with Outside + membership, which costs $99 per year, gives you everything the other tiers have to offer and more. The additional features are more educational and include online courses on basic map and compass skills, backcountry skiing, and more. You also get access to Outside TV and Warren Miller with your membership.
Overall, while Gaia GPS may not be your standard navigation app, it delivers for its intended audience, earning it a 4.5-star rating on the Google Play Store and 4.8 on the App Store.
- A variety of maps, such as weather maps
- Both online and offline maps are available
- Premium Outside+ members get access to educational content
- Available on both Android and iOS
- Free version features are extremely limited compared to other apps
Mapy.cz is a navigation app created by Seznam.cz. It’s free with ads on the Google Play Store and boasts a 4.7-star rating. And this isn’t for no reason, as the app offers a host of features for both people in the city and out in the country.
Mapy.cz offers offline maps that you can download to use on your travels and plan your routes by car or bike with ease.
Mapy.cz also has an In My Maps section, where you can sort through your personal destinations and show the public transport stations, restaurants, and ATMs on your route. There are even public transport schedules available on the app for different cities.
The offline mode is also impressive, with voice navigation available in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, and more. There are lane-changing alerts and speed warnings for in-car navigation, and if you’re a lover of the winter, you’ll also enjoy the offline winter maps with ski resorts and cross-country trails available.
These are only some of Mapy.cz’s great features. It’s safe to say that this is one of the best navigation apps on the market.
- Available in multiple languages
- Detailed and helpful offline maps
- In My Maps feature allows for route planning and highlights
- Specialized offline winter maps
- Includes public transport schedules
- Free with ads
- Has ads
- Not available for iOS
Link: Mapy.cz for Android
Maps.me is a good alternative of Waze. It has some common features like turn by turn navigation and offline maps. You can bookmark your favorite locations and even share it with your friends.
- The map auto orients itself to the direction you are moving.
- Share favorite places with friends and family.
- Completely offline usage feature saves your roaming charges.
- Many times search attempts fails in offline mode.
Is there an app better than Waze?
There is an app better than Waze. A common Waze alternative is Google Maps because it’s free and easy to use. Google Maps isn’t the only great Waze app, either. There are other great apps, such as Here WeGo, OsmAnd, Organic Maps, that you can use instead of Waze.
Why is Waze bad?
Waze is bad mostly due to the fact that it’s dependent on other people using the app on the road. Therefore, if it so happens that you’re the only Waze user for hundreds of miles, the app will not receive updates, so it can’t guide you correctly.
Is MapQuest better than Waze?
MapQuest is better than Waze because it offers navigation for walking, as well as driving. It also offers a variety of overlay options that allow you to keep distractions to a minimum. Waze, on the other hand, is mainly for drivers and those doing long road trips.
Is Waze being discontinued?
The Waze app is not being discontinued, at least there’s no word of that at the time of writing this article. However, the Waze app isn’t what it used to be, as many users report issues with the app’s functionality. Only time will tell if the app will be discontinued.
Final Words: Our Choice
If you want to filter down more among these apps, I would recommend Google Maps as the best alternatives to Waze app. However, it totally depends on your requirements. Do share with us via comments which app suited you the best.