With over a 1.3 billion people using WhatsApp to communicate on a daily basis everyone’s chat archive builds up over time. What if later you wish to find an address that your friend shared with you on WhatsApp. Swiping within a chat to get to the desired message is a mundane and time killing task. And it’s such a disappointment when you don’t find the message you’re looking for. To take care of that in the latest update WhatsApp has rolled out the ability to search messages within certain chats for both Android and iPhone. In this tutorial, we let you know how to use it and search specific WhatsApp chats or groups.
It was some time back when the feature to search all the chats was launched. You can use it if you are not sure about the sender of the message you’re searching for. That feature performs a search in all the chats and groups. But if you are certain about the contact or group from whom that particular message came from then use the steps below.
Search Specific WhatsApp Chats/Groups
Update the app to the latest version 2.17.60(iPhone) and 2.17.267(Android) or later to make use of the individual chat search feature. After the update is done you’re good to proceed ahead. The procedure for both the platforms iOS and Android are mentioned.
- Launch WhatsApp and open the conversation which you wish to search.
- In the conversation screen, tap on 3 dots at the top right and select Search.
- This will make a search bar appear at the top of the chat.
- Type the search query and let the search function do the rest.
- Under the individual chat or group, you opened tap on it’s name above.
- This will take you to Contact/Group Info screen. Tap on Chat Search in this screen.
- Now, the chat will be opened with a search box at the top. Type in the word or phrase you recollect from the message.
Boom! In a jiffy, you will be taken to an instance of the searched word highlighted in yellow in the whole conversation if it exists. In case of multiple messages matching the search query, there will be an up and down arrow to navigate through the messages containing the search keyword.
Similarly, you can search in other WhatsApp chats or groups.
From now on, finding specific messages on WhatsApp are just a tap away. Pretty useful addition to an already great messaging app. Isn’t it, what are your thoughts? Drop a comment and let us know.