Instagram Stories has become more popular than Snapchat in no time and it was Snapchat from which the feature was originally taken. The main reason behind the rapid growth of Instagram is that they frequently add latest and engaging features. I mean it’s one social media app that gets a lot of updates when compared to others. Speaking of updates, here’s another one. Similar to reactions on Facebook posts and comments, the parent company has introduced the same for the stories in their popular media sharing app – Instagram. If words, photo or video are not enough to convey your feelings for a story then you have one more option now. It is possible to react to Instagram Stories of the people you follow.
Reply To Instagram Story With A Reaction
Update to the latest version of Instagram and jump to the following steps.
1. Open the Instagram app and in the story tray at the top, tap on the Story avatar of the person/account whose story you want to view as usual.
2. When you open the story, you can either tap on the Send message box or swipe up from anywhere in the screen.
3. This will give you 8 reactions to choose from. Clap, Laugh, Love, Wow, Sad, & Fire/Lit, Perfect and Celebration. Tap on the desired one to react. Once you do that the screen will be showered with the emoji reaction you chose like confetti.
Important: There will be no quick reactions or they won’t work if they have disabled replies to their story. More information about this later in the article.
4. As an owner of the story, you will get a push notification from Instagram telling that xyz user reacted to your story with the reaction smiley. Later you can also find the reaction in the DM section.
As I mentioned earlier, if you don’t get quick reactions for someone’s stories then they have disabled message replies on their stories. If you wish you can also do so. Here’s how.
Disable Message Replies Or Reactions On Instagram Stories
1. Open Instagram app and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right to navigate to the profile screen.
2. Select the hamburger icon at the top right and select Settings.
3. Next, tap on Story Settings/Controls.
4. Now, in Allow Message Replies section select Off if you wish to turn off replies for everyone or select People You Follow to disable message replies from the people you don’t follow while keeping the replies for others turned on.
After doing this, users won’t get the option to send a message while viewing your story.
For already uploaded stories, the above method will work. Apart from this, you will have more ways to get to this Story Settings screen for an existing story.
Block Replies On An Already Uploaded Instagram Story
1. Open your Instagram story by tapping on your profile picture or by tapping on your story in stories section at the top of the news feed.
2. Under your story, you have two ways to get to the Story Settings.
- Either tap on the 3 dots icon at the bottom right and select Story Settings.
- Or Swipe upwards while you have your story opened and select gear icon(Settings) at the top left corner.
Under the Story Settings screen, follow step 4 from the above method.
You can always turn on the message replies or reactions later from the same Story Settings screen as and when desired.
Reactions bring another interesting way to engage with stories. Not only is it cool but is surely a quicker way to express your feelings. Isn’t it? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.