As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Everything we see around us is getting digital. From matchmaking to groceries, almost everything we need could be done via apps. Car rental business is no different. Online car rentals are rapidly replacing the traditional brick-and-mortar shops that once claimed a monopoly over the rental business. In fact, the customer response has been so great that almost every day new car rental businesses are sprouting across the world. Amidst the horde, two companies stand out as being both effective and appealing, Turo and Getaround. In this article, I will take you through Turo vs Getaround comparison. Let’s take a look at them.
Turo vs Getaround
Turo is an online car rental service that allows users to rent any car, whenever and wherever they want it. The rental plans are simple to understand and quite convenient. Once known as RelayRides, Turo has emerged as one of the biggest players on the e-rentals. It allows people to both rent a car and put their own cars up for rents. Being around for a long time certainly gives an edge to Turo, who now has a faithful community of users that trust it. The huge expansion also ensures that the renters always get the cars they want, without any waiting.
Getaround is a more recent player in the online car rental business, but it has gathered the attention of many. The high-functionality app that offers a host of features is certainly what added to its appeal. The online rental company takes technology to the forefront, making the experience as much virtual as possible. Even though Getaround has a limited presence currently, it is rapidly expanding and may soon have a global presence. The company is focusing on customers who want to rent cars for short duration of time, thus it offers hourly rates as opposed to the more popular daily ones. However, the limited presence also limits the choice of cars available to you.
- Turo has a presence throughout the US, along with some other countries, covering around 4,700 cities. This allows you to rent a car anywhere, without any worries.
- The app comes with constant GPS navigation that keeps a track on your movements, all the while aiding you on your journey. If you are the person putting your car up for rental, you can stay assured that it will not go astray.
- One of the great features of Turo is the car delivery, where the car would reach you wherever you are. Hence, no more long queues in order to rent a car.
- Turo encourages one-to-one interaction between owners and renters, so that there is a certain buildup of mutual trust between them.
- Turo knows the worth of your car, which is why it offers a liability insurance of 1 million dollars for every trip.
- Turo manages a range of cars and vehicles for you to choose from, depending on whatever suits your needs.
- Since the car is rented directly from the owners, the customers could save a lot of money which is taken in the form of commission by ordinary car rentals.
- It only offers rental plans on a 24-hour window, with the same amount of increments. This makes it uneconomical for those who want a car for a few hours. In case you exceed the window, you would have to pay for an additional day, which would again be heavy in your pockets.
- The owners need to personally hand off the car to the renters, which might not always be a good idea. In case you are a busy car owner, Turo effectively wastes your time for a transaction that must be undertaken by the company itself.
- The owner-renter match up process is manual, which makes it slow and inefficient to an extent. The high intervention of company also gives only limited power in the hands of the car owner.
- The biggest advantage of using Getaround is the fact that they offer hourly rates instead of daily ones. This means that you could rent a car for as many hours as you actually need it, without having to pay extra. It surely comes out as a more economical option.
- Getaround comes with the “virtual” keys that could be downloaded and used to unlock the car. This reduces any need to actually meet the owner and saves time on the both the ends.
- Getaround provides you with insurance on every trip, so that any mishap on the road could be appropriately covered.
- The booking model for Getaround is entirely self-service, without the need of the company’s intervention. The process is automated, fast and between only the owner and renter.
- Putting up your car for rentals on Getaround is hassle free and quick, without any long paperwork.
- One gaping drawback of Getaround is its limited presence. As of now, Getaround is available in only a few big cities, which makes the phrase “anywhere, anytime” not entirely applicable to them.
- The virtual key transfer eliminated the need of customers actually meeting the owners. While it looks good, it also doesn’t give a room for the trust build up between the two parties. This could lead to owners being hesitant to hand over their cars.
- There is no delivery service available, so the renters have to reach specific spots in order to pick up the cars.
While both are in the same business of car rentals, it is clear that the two companies are targeting different audiences. While Turo aims at the larger market that looks for long-term rentals, Getaround is targeting a specific market for short-term tours. Both the apps have their advantages and disadvantages, so it largely depends on what you are looking for. Turo’s great reach is certainly a big plus point for the company, but the virtual key feature of Getaround is certainly loved by many people who do not like interacting with the car owners. In the end, the choice is yours, but it can be safely said that you won’t regret your choice with either of them.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.