You can track a TextNow number as long as the number is made public or connected to a social media account with the user’s details included. You can also use the TextNow app or any other phone number tracker, like iStaunch, Google Number Lookup, and Truecaller, to trace TextNow numbers.
Did you know that you can track the TextNow number of anyone bothering your child? I recently had a conversation with my nephew, and he disclosed that a stranger with a TextNow number threatened his safety. The thought of that alone was alarming, and I had to find the perpetrator.
I was worried that someone so close to me was exposed to such a thing, so I took my time to research how to track a TextNow number. In this guide, I’ll reveal several ways to track a TextNow number and, in turn, protect your child from any harm.
- 1 What Is TextNow?
- 2 How To Create A TextNow Account
- 3 How To Do A TextNow Number Lookup Search
- 4 How To Track A TextNow Number – 4 Methods
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Safeguard Your Child
- 7 About The Authors
What Is TextNow?
Before I get started, you need to first understand what TextNow is. TextNow is a free phone communication service that offers free calling and texting services to customers in the United States and Canada.
I found out that the app provides users with a free virtual phone number that can be used to send and receive texts and phone calls. The app also allows users to communicate using their data or WiFi network.
It is available for Android and iOS via the App Store and Google Play Store, and can also be used on a computer via a web browser. Furthermore, I discovered that TextNow users can access some flexible, paid add-ons, such as:
- Premium Numbers: These are “easy to remember” numbers e.g. 555-555-1001 or 555-555-1234, costing $4.99/year.
- Lock-In Number: Keeps your number locked to your account for as long as your locked-in subscription is active, costing $4.99/month.
- Ad-Free Lite: Removes all ads except the banner ad at the bottom of the TextNow app, costing $1.99/month.
- Ad-Free+: Removes all ads from TextNow – including banner and in-line ads costing $9.99/month.
How To Create A TextNow Account
To create a new TextNow account:
- Download the app via TextNow website on any browser.
- Open it.
- Tap “Sign up.”
- Select the preferred setup medium.
- Enter your personal information: email address and password.
- Afterward, choose a TextNow free phone number based on your area code. That’s it!
How To Do A TextNow Number Lookup Search
After successfully downloading the app and creating an account, I tried to do an anonymous TextNow number lookup for the number that sends my nephew spam messages and calls him incessantly. You can also do this if the person has added their account details, such as name and phone number, to their TextNow profile.
You can expect to find the number, name, pictures, and address associated with the target TextNow number that you want to look up. Here are the steps:
- Open the TextNow app on your child’s device.
- Tap on the Contacts tab in the bottom navigation bar and grant the app permission to read contacts.
- Tap the “Search” icon in the top right corner and type in the phone number or name of the person you are trying to find.
- Then, wait for the TextNow number lookup results.
However, if the person does not have a TextNow account, you may be unable to get their account details via the TextNow app. The TextNow number lookup only reveals information associated with people with TextNow accounts and those who added their profile information.
But this does not mean that you can’t track TextNow phone numbers. I will show you in the next section some other ways to trace a TextNow number.
How To Track A TextNow Number – 4 Methods
From my research, I found four other methods to find a TextNow number. These include a simple Google search, using some spy apps, searching the number on social media, etc. Below, I will explore them and the steps for carrying them out.
By Using Google To Lookup The Phone Number
You can enter the area code and TextNow number you want to look up in the Google Chrome browser, and it will disclose the user information available. After a successful search, you can expect to see the name and address associated with the number if the person added their name and private info and made it public.
By Using iStauch
I discovered that iStauch, a tech-based blog, provides services for TextNow number lookups. You can take the following steps to trace anyone spamming your child using iStaunch.
- Input “https://www.istaunch.com/” in your browser.
- Search “TextNow number lookup” in the search bar.
- From the list of articles, click on the first article.
- Open it and scroll to the table of contents. Click on “TextNow Number Lookup.”
- Enter the TextNow number and click “Submit.”
By Using Reverse Phone Lookup Services
This involves using number lookup tools to trace the details, especially the full name, of a specific person using their phone number. There are many online tools you can use to do a reverse phone lookup. I will show you two apps I personally used to do a reverse phone lookup for a TextNow number threatening my nephew:
Reverse Lookup Phone Search
Reverse Lookup is a free reverse phone number lookup tool that enables users to look up phone numbers to find the name or Caller ID, zip code, and location associated with that number. I discovered that this app only works on Android phones in the United States and Canada.
I downloaded the app from the Google Play Store and used it to search for a person who spammed my nephew. After I installed the app, I searched for the TextNow number, and it displayed the details of the person I searched for.
After installing the app, search the TextNow number in the search bar, and you’ll see information about the perpetrator, like their name, location, countries they call often, and comments from other Truecaller users. From my experience, these details will enable you to identify anyone bothering your child. You can also try other Truecaller alternatives like Hiya and Trapcall.
By Searching For The Number On Social Media
You can check if the TextNow number calling or texting your child is associated with any social media accounts. Some people use virtual phone numbers, for example, TextNow numbers, to create social media accounts.
So, if they create a social media account with the TextNow phone number, then you can find their details or at least have an idea of who they are.
Can a TextNow phone number be tracked?
A TextNow number can be tracked as long as the person you are trying to locate is a TextNow user and has their name and address on their TextNow profile. If the user does not attach these details, tracking will be difficult.
Does TextNow work outside USA?
TextNow works outside the USA, and you can only send and receive messages and calls from Canada. However, if you are not in either of these countries, you can download a VPN on your App Store or Google Play Store to access the app.
Where are TextNow servers located?
TextNow servers are located in the United States and Canada. However, TextNow is also known to work for app users based in Singapore, Australia, and Switzerland.
Safeguard Your Child
Your child is susceptible to being a victim of spamming from strangers because Textnow has over 250 million downloads. Therefore, it is important to know the numbers they interact with. I felt better about my nephew’s safety after I took the time to explore this topic. To minimize the risk of your child being bothered:
- Use parental control apps to monitor their digital activities.
- Regularly check their TextNow app.
- Learn more about how to use Truecaller and Reverse Lookup to unravel people disturbing them via call or text.
Drop your thoughts and questions in the comments section and share this article so others can learn how to track a Textnow number easily.