What is better than a normal power outlet? A WiFi enabled smart plug that works with Apple Homekit along with Siri voice control support. Yes, I am talking about Koogeek P2 Smart Plug. This little gadget turns your home or office into a hands-free environment. One of the best things that I like about this gadget is that we can use it as a plug and play device. It’s simple and ready to use within 5 minutes. We share all the details you need to know about it in this review.
- 1 Koogeek P2 Smart Plug Review
Koogeek P2 Smart Plug Review
This voice-controlled device will let you turn ON/OFF your appliances with just your voice. Also, you can set timing and the device will work accordingly.
It shows energy consumptions of the connected devices and will help you in controlling your bills. What more can one ask for? One important thing to note is that this device is specifically designed to connect to iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or Apple watch respectively and Apple is not responsible for the operations of this device.
Now let’s get into the details.
The plug comes in a nice box that contains the following items.
- Smart Plug
- Instruction Manual
Requirements & Compatibility
These two are the basic requirement to use this device:
- Koogeek Home app available for iPhone or iPad and Android devices.
- iOS 8.1 or later is recommended. Android 4.3 or later if using Android devices and Amazon Alexa product for using with Alexa.
If you want to use this device remotely then for controlling it you need an Apple TV with tvOS 10.1 or later or an iPad with iOS 10.1 or later and for Android it needs nothing more, no hub required.
Design and Specification
This little gadget comes in white color. Its sleek design and curvy edges make it look good. The night light is an add-on bonus. It is warm white light enabled by its front perimeter which gives a classy and cool look even when it is not switched ON. The plastic (V-0 flame-retardant) used to make the plug is of good quality and feels good in the hand and is easy to keep in the pocket if using a single plug for many places.
Following are the specifications for the plug:
- Length: 58.50 mm
- Width: 58.50 mm
- Thickness: 30.50 mm
- Weight: Approx. 76g
- Power input: 120V AC Max, 60Hz
- Power output: 120V AC
- Resistive: 15A, 1500W
- Home Wi-Fi: 2.4Ghz (802.11 b/g/n)
1. App Control And Tracking
The plug can be controlled right from your smartphone using the Koogeek Home app. It is available for both Android and iOS platforms.
Apart from that, you will also be able to monitor all the connected devices from the app. It is possible to connect multiples devices to the multiple P2 plugs and the app will recognize all of them. You can check and control the energy consumptions and hence you can decide which appliance should be used (for iOS devices only).
2. Voice Control
One of the best features that I like about this smart plug is that I can control it with my voice using Siri. Suppose you are in your bed feeling sleepy and want to switch off the lamp then there is no need to move out from bed as you can control it with your voice.
3. Home Automation
One of the main features that this device comes with is Home automation. It is a great feature if you are away from home and while coming back you do not want to enter a dark room. For such scenarios, it is possible to switch ON the connected lamp automatically by setting a trigger.
4. Night Light
Other feature that this device comes with is the night light and hence saving electricity and thus saving your bill for the night light. You can even control the brightness of the light using Siri or the app, isn’t it cool!
How to Use The Smart Plug?
1. Plug the smart plug into the outlet and wait till the LED starts blinking green to indicate that it is ready for network setup.
2. Open your iPhone or iPad and check that you are connected to 2.4GHz WiFi network. The plug will not work with 5GHz wifi.
4. Tap + on the right corner of the app and follow onscreen instructions. Your device will be ready within 5 minutes.
Make sure to assign a name to your device as this is going to be more convenient. Suppose you assigned a name Joey then all you have to say to Siri is TURN ON JOEY and the device will turn on. After that, you can set up specific commands for your easiness and according to your requirement.
What Can You Connect With This Plug?
You can use the plug for a lamp, fan, coffee maker, PlayStation and charging batteries. Also, you can try light appliances. But never use precision timing appliances where inaccurate timing can be dangerous such as microwave, saunas etc.
Now, let’s move on to pros and cons.
1. It is quite portable and easy to carry anywhere really.
2. The plug makes it possible to control the appliances remotely.
3. Siri and Amazon Alexa compatibility allows you to control the plug using your voice.
1. One major drawback with this device is that if you are using dual-band WiFi then it often disconnects and then you have to delete your home account and start again.
2. Also, some of the functions are not available on Apple Watch.
3. Controlling multiple devices simultaneously along with checking Working status and monitoring power consumption is available only for iOS devices.
I would personally recommend having two or more plugs for your home and office. One of the best things about the plug is that even if you went for holidays or your office and forget to switch off the lamp, coffee maker, humidifier or any other connected device then you can easily switch it off from your smartphone or by asking Siri/Amazon Alexa to do the same. It helps to save energy and reduce bills.
No products found.
All in all, if you are on iOS then you can go for the Smart Plug P2 without any second thoughts but we cannot say the same for Android users at this point in time.