When Instagram is not sharing to Facebook, what do you do? In this article, we’ve got six methods that you can use to fix the issue, including logging in and out, clearing your device cache, reinstalling the app, and more!
Social media platforms have grown to become an important part of our lives.
We use our accounts for sharing stories, catching up with friends, developing relationships, and even operating businesses. To make things better, these platforms are continuously developing new features, such as social media account linking.
For example, Instagram has a feature called linked posting, wherein posts can be cross-posted to another platform, like Facebook or Twitter. The idea is that since people usually post the same things in multiple applications anyway, the app just shortens the process needed to do so, as long as the accounts are linked.
However, there are times when this link malfunctions and the simultaneous posting across both apps doesn’t happen – even though one app indicates that the linked post was successful. This can be a real pain, especially if you’re using social media for work or business.
Below, we’ll discuss the various ways that you can use to fix the issue when Instagram is not sharing to Facebook.
- 1 6 Methods To Try When Instagram Is Not Sharing To Facebook
- 2 What To Do When Instagram Is Not Sharing To Facebook
6 Methods To Try When Instagram Is Not Sharing To Facebook
Method 1: Clear App Cache (Video)
Many times, this problem could occur because of your device cache.
The cache is where applications keep extraneous files that help make the app run faster. However, these files can accumulate and could slow down your device to the point of apps malfunctioning.
If you think this might be the case, you have to clear your device app’s cache, if you’re on Android, or reinstall the app, if you’re on iOS.
First, here are the steps for clearing the app cache on Android.
It will take you about 3 minutes.
Let’s get started
- First, navigate to your phone’s Settings.
- From the Settings option, go to Apps. Depending on your device, there may be a second option here to select. For my Xiaomi phone on MIUI 12, I then had to select Manage Apps. Take note that not all devices have this.
- Find either Instagram or Facebook and click it. Again, depending on your device, you may already see Clear Cache on your screen. In my case, I had to select Clear Data first
- Select Clear Cache from the menu that pops up if needed.
Also, watch our video:
iPhone users don’t have this option. You’ll have to reinstall the app if you want to clear its cache.
- From Settings, click General.
- Select iPhone storage.
- Click on either Instagram or Facebook.
- Select Delete app.
- After deleting the app, you can go to the App Store and reinstall it from there.
Note that you have to follow the same steps for both apps. You need to clear the cache or delete the app and reinstall both Instagram and Facebook, one by one.
Method 2: Log Out Of Both Platforms
Solutions to these kinds of problems do not always have to be complicated technological maneuvers. Sometimes the best way to solve the problem when your Instagram is not posting to Facebook is also the simplest: just log out of both platforms.
You can follow the steps below for both Android and iOS.
- From your Instagram app, navigate to your Profile.
- Once there, tap or press the hamburger icon on the top right of your screen. A new menu will pop up.
- Select Settings to take you to the next screen.
- From here, scroll down until you see Log Out.
- Log out from Facebook via the same steps. From your Facebook app, find the hamburger icon and click it.
- Scroll down and click the Log Out option.
- If you have successfully done this, you can log back into both apps.
Method 3: Check The Link Between Both Platforms
As mentioned before, to be able to post to both apps simultaneously, both accounts need to be linked with each other. However, because of various things like bugs in your software or corrupted data on your device, these links can sometimes malfunction.
This may be the reason why your stories and posts from Instagram do not automatically share to Facebook.
Here’s how you can check the link between the two platforms.
- On your device, log in to your Instagram app and go to Profile. Press the hamburger icon.
- A new menu will show up. Click Settings.
- Tap Account, and then tap Linked Accounts.
- Here, you will find a list of the social media platforms that Instagram can link to. If there’s already an account linked to it, it will be in blue and will have a blue checkmark.
If you have a business page on Instagram, and you want to share a specific Facebook page only, you have to follow these steps.
- Go to Profile and tap Edit Profile.
- Scroll down to Public Business Information and click Page.
- From there, select the specific FB page that you want to link with your Instagram posts.
Method 4: Relink Facebook And Instagram
If you see that the accounts are linked, but you are still unable to post photos on both platforms at once, perhaps the link that connects both platforms has malfunctioned somehow.
A common reason for this is that you may have recently changed your Facebook account’s password and logged it out. However, Instagram did not disconnect from the Facebook side, causing an error. Because of this, the app will think that the accounts are still linked.
Simply put, Instagram could remain connected to an account that is no longer letting it in, which is why the posts aren’t getting cross-posted.
To re-establish the link on the two accounts, follow these directions.
- On your device, log in to your Instagram and go to your profile. Click on the hamburger icon.
- From the new menu that pops up, go to Settings.
- Click Accounts, then Linked Accounts, and then Facebook.
- If there’s already an account linked, simply click it and press Unlink.
- If there’s no account linked yet, tap Facebook and log in using your Facebook email address and password.
- If this is your first time linking both your accounts, a box will appear saying Turn on Facebook Sharing? Once you tap Start Sharing to Facebook, the link will be finalized, and you can now opt to have your Instagram post be automatically posted on Facebook as well.
- Your Instagram account will now be linked to Facebook in seconds. Again, it will turn blue, which means that the link between both apps is active.
The general advice is that every time you reset your passwords on any of the platforms, you should log out of the linked account from the other. From there, it’s best to reestablish the link to make sure that everything works correctly.
Method 5: Change Your Facebook Password
Another reason for your posts not linking between apps is a corrupted session. A corrupted session happens when your apps malfunction while processing data. The app doesn’t know what to do with this error, so the session becomes corrupted. This can show up in various ways, such as Instagram not posting photos that we discussed earlier or not being able to cross-post to Facebook.
Changing the password of your FB account logs you out of all the other sessions and may potentially fix the corruption issue.
- On your device, open Facebook and click on the hamburger icon to proceed to the Settings page.
- Type Security and Login in the search bar and click it.
- From here, you can find the option to change your password under Change Password. You will have to type your current password, as well as the new password, and then retype the new password for confirmation.
- Once you have successfully changed your password, the app will log you out of your Facebook accounts and everything linked to it.
- After you have been logged out, log in to your accounts again with your new password to see if the issue has been fixed or not.
Method 6: Remove Instagram From Facebook
You may only want to do this as a last resort, as this will not only remove Instagram from your Facebook linked apps, but this will also delete all of the past Instagram posts that you have shared before on Facebook.
If you think risking this may be worth it, follow the instructions below.
- Log in to your Facebook and click the hamburger icon on the screen. From there, press Settings.
- After this, scroll down until you find Apps and Websites on the list of settings.
- You will then see a menu that says Logged in with Facebook. This menu lists all the apps and websites connected to your Facebook account. If you see Instagram here, remove it.
- After that, go back to Method 4 and relink your accounts.
- Check to see if the issue has been fixed or not.
What To Do When Instagram Is Not Sharing To Facebook
Now you know how to fix the issue when Instagram is not sharing to Facebook. To summarize, you can log your accounts in and out, change the passwords, relink both accounts, clear the cache or reinstall the app, and finally, remove Instagram from FB and then re-establish the link between the two.
Hopefully, these methods fixed your issue. If you’ve tried all of them and you still can’t link your account, we recommend contacting customer support for both apps. Luckily for you, there are various ways to do so.
Instagram’s Help Center can be easily located online. There you will find the most common issues faced by other users, including accounts not linking to other platforms, and how to fix it. If you’ve already searched through the pages and your issue is still not resolved, you can also post a question yourself.
Facebook also has a Help Center that can be found both online and in the Facebook app itself. You can read fixes there, as well as make your own inquiries, which will be answered by your fellow users and the support team.
You also may email both Instagram and Facebook support, but the reply time cannot be assured.
If you’ve tried these methods and they worked for you, or if you have other methods that we forgot to cover, feel free to let us know. Head to the comment section and share it with everyone!
13 thoughts on “Instagram Not Sharing To Facebook? Here’s How To Fix This Problem”
Going through the same problem. Before, I was able to switch between sharing an IG post on either my Personal FB or Business FB accounts.
I’ve cleared my cache, re-installed both apps, unliked them from each other, etc etc., but nothing has helped. No matter what, Instagram will ONLY post on my FB Business page, and there is NO option to choose my Personal FB page.
I am having the same exact issues that most of you are having. My Instagram and Facebook used to be connected with stories and somehow along the way they disconnected. I have tried reconnecting them through the accounts centre and it keeps saying “can’t use this account try using another Instagram account”. I have basically tried everything at this point and I don’t know what to do but it’s very frustrating. Please someone help! 🙁
Latest FB Business Page update in early April 2022 has completely broken the sharing option between FB and IG. I have tried every method I could find online and nothing is working.
Yes this is still not working for me, all the connections appear to be in place and I have removed and re-added them. Posting from the Meta Business Suite works to both my FB page and IG, but posting on IG doesn’t result in things being shared to the FB page.
I can’t figure it out either
For whatever reason, sharing IG to FB balks when you try to share a combination of photos + videos. Removing one or the other from the IG post lets you share the post–alas, minus the combination of photos and videos…
I have a business FB account and a business IG account. All was working well, sharing posts and stories with no problems. I was trying to do something on IG and changed my account to a personal account, I then switched it back to a business account…..now IG won’t share posts or stories to FB. I’ve tried all of your suggestions (except for the last one- I don’t want to lose all my past IG posts) The two look like they’re linked but I can’t get them to share posts or stories. I’m so frustrated!!
I am having the exact same problem. Let me know if you find a solution.
It appears you are not the only one, mine quit working a month ago, when I had no issues prior to, and I never switched from business to personal. I have done every step in this article, including trying to contact IG and FB(ever going to hear back) And nothing online seems to help! I hope you find a solution.
Hope someone finds a solution and adds it here. I will be back if I do!
Hi Jenn and all,
Have you been able to find the solution? Have the same problem and nothing from the above seem to be working..
Would be great to know if you have had any developments?
I’m having trouble too. My business fb page is showing that it is linked to my business ig page… however, when I go to actually make a post in ig, it is automatically linking to post on my personal page, and there’s no way to change it.
Same here. I have checked everything and both accounts seem to be linked with no issues. However, I can’t get them to share. It is frustrating!
Same problem!! I’m so frustrated! I’ve tried all of the above solutions and nothing works! And I can’t get in touch with anyone at FB or Instagram for help. Ugh. So annoying.