Is your PC or system working slower than usual? Well, it can be due to heavy RAM usage. The apps or software require RAM in order to run and to use them without any lag you will require a sufficient amount of RAM. There are various types of RAMs with different frequency. Higher the frequency of the RAM, the faster its performance. You can simply say the frequency is the speed of the RAM stated in MHz.
If you don’t know the RAM frequency of your system or how to check it, whether Windows or macOS, then we are here to help you with that. Here are steps and methods that you can follow in order to check RAM frequency of your Windows PC and Mac. So without any delay, let’s head towards the methods.
Check RAM Frequency On Windows
You can check your system RAM frequency with two methods. One is using the Task Manager and another using Command prompt. Both the methods will work the same on all the versions of the Windows like 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
Method 1 – Task Manager
1. To open the task manager you can use two methods. Either you can right click on the taskbar and from the menu select Task Manager.
Or press Windows+X key together and from the menu that appears select Task Manager.
2. After the Task Manager is opened, head over to the Performance tab as shown in the image below. In this performance tab, on the left side panel, you will see various storage options, from there select Memory option.
Once you select it, on the right side you will be able to see the information regarding the performance of your RAM. Here you will be able to see the Speed of the RAM which is its frequency and in our case, it is 1600 MHz.
Method 2 – Check RAM Speed Using Command Prompt
1. Open the Command Prompt on your system. You can do so by pressing Windows+X key and from the menu select Command Prompt.
Or by using Run. Open the Run program by pressing Windows+R keys together and then type cmd and hit enter or press OK.
2. Now there are two commands using which you can get all the information about the system and its storage. The first command is ‘wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, Capacity, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed‘. Type or you can also copy paste in CMD and hit enter.
Now you will be able to see the details of the RAM with the Speed or frequency i.e 1600 MHz.
3. The second command is ‘wmic memorychip list full‘. Type it in the command prompt and hit enter.
Once you hit enter, the command prompt will open a list showing the information of the RAM on the system. Somewhere at the bottom of this list, you will be able to see the frequency i.e. Speed of the RAM as you can see in the image above.
Check RAM And Its Speed On macOS
You can check the RAM and its speed using two methods on macOS. Let’s see how.
1. Click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen. Now from this menu select About This Mac.
2. Here you will be able to see the specification of your macOS and its hardware information under Overview.
Just beside the Memory, you will be able to see the RAM storage and its speed or the frequency in MHz which in this case is 1600 MHz.
1. Go to the Applications folder and from there select Utility.
2. Now inside utility, select System Information. Once it is opened, on the left side panel you will see the list of Hardware, Network and Software information.
3. Under the Hardware option, look for Memory and select it.
As you will select Memory, on the right side of this panel, you will be able to see the RAM information mentioned with the frequency or speed in MHz. It will show you all the RAM storage that is available in your macOS and its speed in the similar screen. That’s it.
So these were some of the easiest methods to check the frequency of RAM, no matter what version of the Windows it’s running on. And the best thing is that you don’t need to do download or install any third party application or software. Same goes for the macOS. Go check it out and share the results with us in the comments section below.