Do you want to type in a different language on your iPhone but don’t know how to add another keyboard language?
Maybe you need to type in a different language for work, or you want to be able to write in multiple languages when sending messages to friends and family who speak different languages.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to add a new keyboard language on iPhone, the process is actually pretty straightforward. In this article, we’ll show you how to add keyboard language to your iPhone so you can type in any language you want.
- 1 Adding Another Language To iPhone Keyboard: Step-by-Step
- 2 Video Steps
- 3 FAQs
- 3.1 How do I delete a keyboard language on my iPhone?
- 3.2 Can I reorder the languages on my iPhone keyboard?
- 3.3 How do I know which language I'm using on my keyboard?
- 3.4 I accidentally deleted the Emoji keyboard. How can I get it back?
- 3.5 Can I use more than one language keyboard at the same time?
- 3.6 I can't find the globe icon on my keyboard.
- 4 Adding New Language Keyboard To iPhone: In Conclusion
Adding Another Language To iPhone Keyboard: Step-by-Step
There are two ways that you can add a foreign language to your iPhone keyboard.
The first method is by going to the Settings app and the second is by adding a corresponding language keyboard directly from the iOS keyboard itself. Both methods are actually quite easy to do, with the second method simply being a shortcut for the first method.
I’ll show you both methods so you can choose which one works best for you. Also, take note that these methods work for both iPhone and iPad.
Adding A Keyboard Language Through The Settings App
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap General.
- Scroll down and tap on “Keyboard.” This is where you can edit your iPhone keyboard-related settings, add Keyboard shortcuts, change the keyboard layout, and more.
- Tap on “Keyboards” again. You’ll see a list of keyboards you have here, including the Emoji keyboard if you have that enabled.
- Tap Add New Keyboard.
- Select the new keyboard language you want to add from the keyboards list.
- If there are several languages or variations, like in the case of many Asian languages, you’ll see all the available keyboards here.
For instance, Chinese and Hindi both offer handwriting and transliteration options on their keyboard.
You can customize your keyboard list by selecting only this option, or you can select all of them. It doesn’t matter if you want more than two languages – iOS devices can accommodate them all.
- Select the new keyboard of your desired language. As mentioned, you can select as many variations as you want. Make sure that they have a blue check next to them. When you’re sure you’ve selected all your desired variations, click “Done” in the upper right corner.
- Once you’ve selected a new language keyboard, you’ll now be able to see it in the list of Keyboards. All the keyboard languages you have, including their variations, will be displayed here.
Additionally, if you want to remove a language that you no longer need from your keyboard, simply go back to Settings, select Keyboard, tap Keyboards, and click on the “Edit” option. You can then delete the keyboard languages you no longer want.
Adding A Keyboard Language From The Keyboard Itself
The second method is faster if you’re already typing something and would just like to add another language keyboard.
In other words, if you would like to do multilingual typing but don’t have the other keyboard languages you need yet, you can use this method to do it quickly without having to leave the app you’re currently on.
- Open any app that allows you to type, such as a messaging app. In this case, I’ll use my Message app to automatically bring up the iOS Keyboard.
- Tap and hold the globe button at the bottom-left part of the screen until you see a list of keyboard options.
- Click Keyboard Settings to immediately go to the Keyboard options on the Settings app of your phone.
- Follow the steps outlined in the first method. You’re now ready to type in any language you want on your iPhone or iPad.
And that’s it! Now you know how to add keyboard language on your iPhone, so you can type in two languages – or three, or four, or five.
Just remember that you can always switch keyboards back to your default language by tapping on the globe icon again and selecting the keyboard you want to use.
Watch our video to see the steps in action:
How do I delete a keyboard language on my iPhone?
If you want to delete a keyboard language, just go to Settings, click Keyboard, select Keyboards, and tap on “Edit.” From there, you can delete the languages you don’t need by tapping on the “-” sign. You can do it for as many languages, as long as you leave one active.
Can I reorder the languages on my iPhone keyboard?
You can reorder the languages on your iPhone keyboard. It’s in the same place as the other keyboard settings: go to Settings, tap on Keyboard, select Keyboards, then tap “Edit.” After that, reorder your languages by dragging them up or down the list.
How do I know which language I'm using on my keyboard?
To know which language you’re using on your keyboard, check the globe icon on the bottom left corner of your iPhone or iPad screen. If you tap on it, it will show you which language you’re currently using.
I accidentally deleted the Emoji keyboard. How can I get it back?
If you accidentally deleted the Emoji keyboard, don’t worry. You can get it back by following these steps. Go to Keyboard Settings and tap on “Add New Keyboard.” From there, you can select Emoji to add it back to your available languages.
Can I use more than one language keyboard at the same time?
You can use more than one keyboard language at the same time. Just tap on the globe icon, and then select the language you want to use. You can switch between different keyboards by tapping on the globe icon again.
I can't find the globe icon on my keyboard.
If you can’t find the globe icon on your iPhone or iPad, it simply means you don’t have any other keyboard languages added yet. All you have is your default language. Just go to Keyboard Settings and then tap on “Add New Keyboard” to add a new language keyboard.
Adding New Language Keyboard To iPhone: In Conclusion
Whether you need to type in a different keyboard language for work or you just want to be able to communicate with friends and family who speak different languages, adding a new keyboard language on your iPhone is a pretty simple process.
Just follow the steps outlined in this article, and you’ll be typing away in any language you want on your iPhone keyboard in no time at all.
Did you like this article? Feel free to comment below if you’ve got any questions!