As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The list of Telegram features is never-ending and that is the reason we are trying to cover each and every aspect of this wonderful app. On Telegram, you can export your Telegram chats, add stickers to your photos and whatnot. In this tutorial, we are going to discuss another amazing feature of this app, that is, pinning of message and chats.
What Does Pin Mean On Telegram And How It’s Useful?
‘Pin‘ simply means putting your desired chats and message at the top. Once the pinning is done, it doesn’t matter how many messages you receive the pinned one is always going to be at the top.
Now, why do you need to pin a message? When you have some important information to share and want everyone to read it then how can you reach so many people in the group at one point? Well, this is where pin feature comes into existence. Using this feature, all the existing people in the group and the new ones to join will be able to see your message at the top of the chat. The pinned message won’t be lost in a plethora of messages sent by group members.
So let’s learn how to pin message and chats in Telegram and other things revolving around it.
NOTE: You can pin messages in any Telegram private group you’re a member of. While in public groups you can do so only if you are the admin or owner of the group.
Here are the quick links to navigate to the particular section in the article.
Pin And Unpin A Telegram Message
Be it Android phone, iOS or desktop Telegram app, pinning messages is really easygoing.
1. Open the Telegram private group you are a member of or the public group you are the owner/admin of.
2. Now single tap on the message that you want to set as your pinned message.
3. Select Pin after that.
4. Finally, confirm by tapping on OK.
5. You can see your message being pinned at the top of the group. To read the whole pinned message, simply tap on it. After tapping you will automatically be headed towards the full message.
Unpinning Messages In Android Devices
To unpin the message, tap on the cross icon on the right side of the pinned message. Now select Unpin to confirm.
Another way to unpin the message is by single tapping on the message that you pinned and then selecting Unpin.
To make the pin or unpin option appear in an iOS device, instead of single tapping you have to press and hold that message. Apart from that, the steps are almost the same for both the devices.
To unpin, long-press the pinned message and select Unpin.
Using The Telegram Desktop App
People who prefer using the Telegram desktop app don’t need to switch to the mobile app for the sake of using the pin feature. You can pin messages in the group while using the desktop app too.
Open the Telegram desktop app on your PC or Mac and select the desired group. Now right-click on the message that you would like to set as your pinned message and select Pin Message. Confirm by clicking on PIN.
In order to unpin the message, click on the cross icon adjacent to the pinned message and finally click on Unpin. Unpinning is also possible by right-clicking on that message and then selecting the Unpin message option.
In the case of the Telegram web, it is possible to view the pinned messages in the group. But if you try to find any option using which you can pin a message, sadly you won’t find it.
How To Pin And Unpin Telegram Chats
The regular users of Telegram have a long list of personal chats. They are usually the members of various Telegram channels, various groups and quite often use the Telegram bots. All these things make the list of their chats quite long. Due to these long lists, one might find it difficult to locate the people they prefer talking to most and can be a real patience tester.
Just like the pinning feature in the group, you can make use of the pin feature normally on your Telegram account. This feature can be used for pinning personal chats, channels, groups, and whatnot. Right now, the Telegram app only allows its users to pin up to 5 chats.
Pin Chats Using Android Devices
1. On your Android device, open the Telegram app and long-press the personal chat, channel, etc. that you like to pin at the top.
2. Tap on the pin icon located at the top.
You can see the desired chat being pinned at the top. Now it doesn’t matter how many messages you receive because the chat you pinned will remain at the top. Similarly, you can pin other chats too.
Unpin Chats Using Android Device
In order to unpin the chats, long-press the chat that you pinned earlier and simply tap on the unpin icon at the top.
For pinning chats in iOS you need to swipe the desired chat to the right side. Now simply select Pin option.
Similarly for unpinning, again swipe to the right side and this time select the Unpin option.
Telegram Desktop App
It is also possible to pin and unpin the chats using the Telegram desktop app. Follow the steps below to do so.
For pinning chats, right-click on the chat that you want to pin at the top and select Pin to top.
In order to unpin, right-click again on that chat and select Unpin from top.
Restrict Group Members From Removing Pinned Messages
Note: This permission is already restricted in a public group and cannot be modified.
If you own a large private group on Telegram with really active members, the most common problem that you might have faced would be, getting your pinned message removed by someone. Once the message is removed it becomes really cumbersome to write and pin that message again, especially when the message is quite long. After pinning who knows, your message might get unpinned again. So it is better to restrain your members from doing so.
Using Android Device
1. Launch the Telegram app and open the private group where you desire to change the pin permission.
2. Now tap on the group name at the top.
3. After that, select the edit icon at the top of the screen.
4. In the next step, tap on the Permissions option.
5. From the various permissions available, toggle off the one that says Pin Messages and finally tap the tick icon at the top.
Now sit back and relax because no one apart from group admin(s) will be able to pin/unpin message in the group.
1. Fire up the Telegram app on your iPhone and open up your private group.
2. Tap on the group icon that appears at the upper right corner of the screen.
3. After that, tap on the Edit option at the top right.
4. Now tap on the Permissions option.
5. Toggle off the button in front of Pin Messages to get the job done.
Only you and the group admin can pin/unpin message in the group now.
Using Desktop App
1. Open the Telegram desktop app and select the desired group.
2. Click on the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen and select Manage group.
3. Next select Permissions.
4. Similar to the mobile devices, toggle off the Pin messages switch. Finally, click on Save.
Also Read: How To Auto Reply On Telegram
So here we rest our article. You finally know how to pin and unpin a message and chats using various devices. We also learned the methods to restrict the members of your group from further pinning messages. We hope we were able to solve your pin feature related query with our article. In case of any confusion, do let us know through the comment section.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.