Does your partner/spouse often go out without any tangible reason? Do you suspect they may be having an illicit sexual affair? Your concerns are valid, and I’m sorry you’re in such a situation.
I have had to worry about my partner’s (now ex) whereabouts, especially on weekdays when she claimed to be at work. So, I understand the emotional impact of such situations.
In a quest to alleviate my worries, I discovered that the “Timeline” feature on Google Maps can be very instrumental in catching a cheating partner/spouse or revealing their whereabouts. I will share more details about my discovery in this guide, so keep reading!
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 What Is Google’s Maps Timeline?
- 3 How To Find Your Spouse’s/Partner’s Location History Using Google And The Maps Timeline
- 4 Understanding Google’s Maps Timeline
- 5 The Location Data From Maps Timeline Is The Evidence You Need
- 6 What I Do Not Recommend: Do Not Make Hasty Decisions
- 7 FAQs
- 8 Be On The Watch With Google Timeline
- 9 About The Authors
- Google’s Maps timeline is a location feature available on the Google Maps app.
- You can track your partner’s/spouse’s location on Google Maps, using the mobile app or website, as long as Location History is enabled on their Google account.
- Maps timeline shows all the routes and places your spouse/partner has visited.
What Is Google’s Maps Timeline?
Google’s Maps Timeline is a Google Maps feature available on Android and iOS devices that helps you recall routes you have taken and places you have visited based on your location’s history.
When Google Maps is enabled, it creates a timeline that allows you to see where you’ve visited (cities, countries, etc.) and when. Similarly, you can use this feature to track your partner’s/spouse’s movements if you suspect they’re cheating.
It comes pre-installed on Android since Google Maps is part of Google Services, so you don’t have to download any external spy apps to get your spouse’s/partner’s GPS data. However, if you or your partner uses an iOS device, you will have to download the Google Maps app from the Apple app store to access the feature on their phone or yours.
How To Find Your Spouse’s/Partner’s Location History Using Google And The Maps Timeline
To reveal your spouse’s/partner’s location via Google’s Maps timeline, you can check the Google Maps app on their phone at times when they’re not looking. But this means that you’ll often need physical access to their phone and that might make them suspicious that you know what they’re up to, limiting your chance of getting evidence.
Instead of going through this hassle, I suggest you log in to their Google account on your own device and access their data from there, if you have their login details. I did the same thing when I wanted to track my ex’s location stealthily.
I consider this option an easier route because Google connects every user’s location timeline to their Google account. So, you can access your partner’s location data by logging into their Google account on any device that has an internet connection and supports the Google Maps application.
That being said, to access your partner’s location timeline on your device:
- Open your Google Maps app.
- Click on the profile icon at the top-right section of the app’s interface.
- Tap the toggle button beside your profile.
- Select “Add another account.”
- Tap “Google.”
- Sign in with the Google account details linked to their timeline using the appropriate email/phone number and password.
- Note that your partner/spouse may receive an account login notification, indicating that someone is trying to log in to their Google account on another device.
So, I advise you to check their account security settings first (when you have physical access to their device) to disable login alerts before starting this process so they don’t receive the notification and prevent you from logging in. Otherwise, you’re good to go.
- Once signed in, click on the profile icon.
- Then, select “Your Timeline.”
There, you’ll find the necessary information.
Keep in mind that you need to enable their location history for the timeline to be populated with the required location deets. To do this:
- Tap the profile icon again.
- Select “Your Timeline.”
- Tap the three vertical dots at the top-right.
- Then select “Settings and privacy.”
- Tap “Location History is off” to turn it on.
Note: The steps above are the same for Android and iOS devices.
Understanding Google’s Maps Timeline
When you are on the “Timeline” dashboard of your spouse’s/partner’s account, you’ll find a variety of options at the top, breaking down their location details. These options helped me provide actual evidence instead of speculating and beating around the bush. They include:
- Day: In this option, you’ll see the places your partner/spouse has visited in a single day and how long they spent at each location.
- Places: This shows the specific places, such as restaurants, shopping malls, hotels, beaches, and more, that your spouse/partner has visited. They’re usually sorted into different categories, so you can tap on each to see a full list.
- Cities: Here, you’ll find a list of all the towns and cities your partner/spouse has visited and when they visited them. When you tap a city name, you’ll see where exactly in that city they went to and how often they visited the place.
- World: This option contains a list of all the countries your spouse/partner has traveled to. You can click on any country to see their travel history.
- Insights: Here, you can track how much time your partner/spouse spent walking, driving, or taking public transit every month, along with how far they’ve traveled.
The Location Data From Maps Timeline Is The Evidence You Need
After accessing my ex-girlfriend’s Google account and enabling location services, I started monitoring her movements in order to get evidence of her maneuvering. One fateful Tuesday, I found out that my ex-girlfriend spent over four hours at a motel, which is about a 40-minute drive from her workplace.
When she returned, I confronted her about her prolonged stay at that location, but she refuted it, gaslighting me and making it look like I was making things up. However, things took a turn when I showed her her location info, revealing her whereabouts that day. She couldn’t validate her claims anymore.
Instead, she became hostile and kept deviating from the issue at hand, accusing me of invading her privacy. Her compulsive, lying nature, which indicated she was cheating, coupled with other red flags, made me begin to get my ducks in a row.
So, I can confidently tell you that the evidence you need to catch a cheating partner/spouse is most likely their location data on Google’s Maps timeline. You may have doubts about the accuracy of the timeline. That’s okay, as I doubted it a few times, too.
But when my ex-girlfriend was unable to prove her innocence the couple of times I confronted her with her location details, I knew for sure that the Maps timeline was pretty accurate.
What I Do Not Recommend: Do Not Make Hasty Decisions
While I understand that you need evidence to confront your cheating partner/spouse, it is important to note that there are ethical and legal issues associated with the means you employ to get the evidence.
First, accessing your partner’s Google account without consent is an invasion of privacy and is considered a violation of privacy laws in most countries, including the USA and UK, which can result in legal issues, such as civil lawsuits. Moreover, monitoring their movements can be considered stalking, which is also illegal in many jurisdictions.
This can damage the dynamics of your relationship/marriage and put you as an individual in difficult situations. So, don’t make any hasty decisions after getting the evidence. Instead, seek professional advice from a relationship/marriage counselor to get insight into how to handle things better.
Is Google Timeline a different app?
Google Timeline is not a different app. Instead, it is a feature on Google Maps that helps users recall places they have visited and when/how they visited them.
Be On The Watch With Google Timeline
Using Maps and the timeline feature is one of the surest approaches to catching a cheating partner/spouse. It helped me monitor my ex’s movements even from miles away.
As long as you have access to their Google account, enable their location’s history, and they move around with the device where their Google account is logged into, you can be confident of tracking them when they begin to make suspicious stop-bys.
Do well to drop your comments and questions below and share this guide to enlighten others.