The perks of having an Android phone today is getting access to a plethora of apps in the Google Play Store. A lot of, and I mean a lot of apps on play store are free. These include social media apps and even popular games like PUBG. And a lot of Android users like to stick with the free apps only.
However, there are certain useful apps on play store that are not entirely free. So, if you wish to use them or get full access to their features, you have to buy a monthly/annual subscription for that app. And this subscription gets auto-renewed after the end of your current billing period. But the thing is, no one wants to pay for an app for their entire lifetime. So, at some point, you might feel like cancelling this auto-renewal subscription because you are no longer using the app. So in this article, we are going to shed some light on the process to do that.
Cancel Google Play Store Auto-Renewal Subscription
You can cancel a subscription from your Android device or from your PC, the steps for both are same.
1. The first step is pretty obvious, which requires to launch the Google Play Store on your PC/Android phone.
2. Next, check if you’re signed with the Google account using which you bought the subscription of that particular app.
3. After that, tap on the hamburger icon at the top left corner of the screen to open the menu.
4. In the menu, tap on the Subscriptions option.
5. Now, you’ll see all your active subscriptions. Just click on the one you want to cancel.
7. You’ll be on the manage page for that app. At the bottom, you’ll see the Cancel Subscription option. Just click on it to get the thing done.
Now, the app will not charge you money from the following month/year.
What Happens When you Cancel The Auto-Renewal On Google Play?
When you cancel auto-renewal for a certain app on Google Play store, the app can no longer restore your subscription by charging you the money on its own. This means you’ll still be able to use the app for the period you’ve been already charged for. However, after that period ends, you can no longer get the perks you’ve been getting from that app.
Pause a Subscription
If you just want to take a break from a certain app, then you don’t have to cancel the auto-renewal subscription. Instead, the better option would be to pause it. But do note that the pause option is not available for all the apps. And if your app does have this option, then all you have to do is go to its manage page, as you did in the method above. Then, instead of cancelling the subscription, you can tap on the Pause option.
Restart A Subscription
Now, it is completely normal for you to wish to go back to an app after you’ve paused or cancelled its subscription. So, if you’ve paused it, then all you have to do is go back to the page from you paused the auto-renewal for the app i.e. the manage page. Next, you have to tap on the resume option to enable subscription again.
However, if you want to restart the subscription once you’ve cancelled it, then you might fall under either one of the scenarios.
1. Subscription is still active: If you’ve cancelled the subscription only a few days back and it is still active, then resuming the subscription is still possible. For that, you have to go back to the subscription page on the Google Play store and select the subscription you want to resume. Then, on the manage page, you’ll have to tap on the restore option.
2. Subscription has expired: In case you’ve cancelled the subscription a while back, then it is possible that your subscription now has expired. Now, you have no other choice but to get the subscription again like you did the first time.
Cancelling auto-renewal for a subscription on the Google Play store is pretty easy. However, you should only do it when you are completely sure that you won’t be needing the subscription anytime soon. If you just want to stop using the subscription for a short period of time, then it’s best to go with the pause option.