As hibernate uses less power than sleep, more people prefer to use hibernate. It lets you open your system in no time with everything where you left off. By default, the option for hibernating is disabled on Windows. But some people may want to enable hibernate on their PC. Also, it might be that some people want to disable it because of the disadvantages of using hibernate.
That is why in this article, we have explained how to turn on or off hibernate on Windows 7/8/10. So depending upon your requirement you can enable or disable it after going through this article. So let’s get it started.
Enable Or Disable Hibernate On Windows
Turning on/off hibernate is really easy, especially if you are using Windows 8 or 10. For Windows 7, there is more than 1 method to turn on/off hibernate. You just need the clear cut procedure to do that on every Windows OS.
There are basically three well-known methods to get or remove the hibernate feature in Windows 7. You can go through each and every method and find out which one is working for you.
Important: You can only enable Hibernate with the same method you disabled it.
1. Click on the start button and search for “cmd” in the search bar.
2. Now launch the command prompt by right-clicking on it, and then selecting “Run as Administrator”.
3. As you’re on the command prompt window now, type “powercfg.exe/hibernate on” as shown in the screenshot below and then press ENTER.
Note: You can also give the command to disable the Hibernate feature by giving “powercfg.exe/hibernate off” command.
4. Now just close the command prompt by giving the “exit” command and then pressing ENTER.
That’s it. If you’ve given the command to turn off the hibernate feature, then you’ll see that there is no hibernate option available in the power menu. And if you’ve used the command to turn it on, then you’ll be able to see a hibernate option.
This method is followed through the power options in control panel. Just follow the steps given below.
1. Open the control panel to find the Power Options.
2. After going to the power options, you’ll see a list of options on the extreme left side of the screen. Click on the “Change when the computer sleeps” option.
3. Now, click on the “Change advanced power settings” option.
4. The advanced settings window will open up. Now expand the “Sleep” tree.
5. Now you’ll see “Allow Hybrid sleep” option. Expand it.
6. Under “Allow Hybrid Sleep” option, you’ll see “On battery” and “Plugged In” options. Now you can choose to follow one step from the 7th and 8th step as per your requirement.
7. If you want to enable the Hibernate feature, then turn off the “On battery” and “Plugged In” option.
8. However, if you want to disable the Hibernate feature, then turn On the “On Battery” and “plugged In” option.
9. Finally, after making the changes click on “Apply.”
For this method to work, you’ll have to restart your PC after following the given steps.
1. Press Windows+R key and type “Regedit” in the Run dialog box. Then click ENTER.
2. Now registry editor will open up. Navigate to HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power.
3. On the right side of the screen, you’ll see HibernateEnabled option. Double click on it.
4. Now, if you want to enable the hibernate feature in your system, then type “1″ in the Value data. However, if you want to disable it, then type “0” and click on OK.
5. Now restart your PC to see the changes in your power menu.
Note: This method will also work on Windows 8/10
Add Or Remove Hibernate On Windows 8/10
1. Open Control Panel on your PC.
2. Look for the Power Options and click on it.
3. A new screen will open, on the left panel, click on “Choose what the power button does”.
4. Next, click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
5. On the next screen, at the bottom, look for the Hibernate option, check or uncheck it according to your needs and then click on Save changes.
That’s it. You will not be required to restart/reboot the system in order to reflect the changes. To see the changes, click on power button under start and see whether hibernate option is now enabled or disabled.
The above steps to add or remove hibernate from power option on Windows easily lets you achieve it in a few seconds. The procedure to enable/disable the hibernation in Windows 7 might need some work, but for windows 8/10, the procedure is short and easy. And we tried to make it even easier for you through this article. Still, if you face any problem, do let us know in the comments.