For the people, who don’t have many things happening in their life can share someone’s posts in their news feed to their story. The shared posts will have the original post owner username mentioned in your story. However, if you don’t want anyone to share or “regram” your public photos or videos posted on your profile then Instagram allows you to turn off resharing to stories of your posts.
In case you are looking to share or repost someone’s photos & videos to your profile rather than story then use these repost apps. As this is something which is still not supported by Instagram officially.
Okay, then coming back to resharing of posts to stories, here’s how you can use the option and disable it for your posts if desired.
Share Someone Else’s Instagram Posts To Your Stories
If you are looking to share someone’s Instagram stories to your story then that’s not available officially currently. However, you can send someone’s Instagram story to others via Instagram Direct provided they haven’t disabled it for their account.
For resharing of posts from feed to stories, here are the steps you need to follow.
I have used the steps and screenshots from the iPhone app for this guide. That said, there’s not much of a difference for Android app.
1. The most important thing you have to do is update the Instagram app to the latest version from the respective app stores.
2. Open the app after updating it. Now, when you are at the desired post in your news feed or hashtag screen, tap on the Direct option (paper plane icon) present below the photo/video.
3. Next, you will see a new option that says – Add post to your story apart from friends and groups showing up. Tap on it.
4. With this, you will be taken to stories screen on which the post is automatically added. It will also have the username of the owner of the post. You can tap on the post to switch to another card-like style which shows the post with the caption.
5. It is also possible to move, rotate, resize the added card similar to any other sticker. You can do all the editing you would do for any other story post like adding hashtags, text or drawing.
After you are satisfied you can post it to your story.
Similarly you can even share your posts to your stories.
Share Posts To Stories On Instagram – Things To Know
You won’t get the option to Add post to your story if the account is private as it is only possible for public profiles. If the account is public and you still don’t see the option then most probably the owner of the post has turned off resharing of their posts to stories. If you wish to do the same for your posts then follow the method in the next section.
When someone views such story they will be able to see the owner username and can tap on the card/sticker which gives an option to See Post. Tapping on it will take them to the original post.
Turn Off Resharing To Stories Of Your Instagram Posts
- Open the Instagram app and visit your profile by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
- On the profile screen, tap on the Menu icon at the top right and select Settings from the menu drawer.
- This will take you to Options (Settings) screen. Go down until you see Resharing to Stories. Tap on it.
- Now, toggle Allow resharing to stories (iPhone) or Allow Feed Resharing (Android) switch to Off.
When the option is disabled, other people won’t be able to add your posts to their stories. You can enable resharing whenever desired from the same place.
Resharing not only makes more people use stories feature but it also increases the chances of your account getting more visibility if your posts get shared. As your username is always shown with your post and you get the credit for it. So, you should think wisely before turning off resharing of your posts. What are you gonna do? Drop a comment and let us know.