Are you getting distracted by random and not so useful notifications on your desktop while working? This tutorial is for Google Chrome users who are irritated from push notifications which Chrome shows on their desktop. Don’t bother anymore as you are going to learn how to turn off Chrome notifications from Facebook, any other website or even disable Chrome notifications for all websites without using any Chrome Extension.
For the other set of users who find Facebook notifications useful, we have also mentioned the step to enable Facebook desktop notifications.
Turn Off Chrome Notifications
Notifications are a great way to stay updated or alerted at all times. Even when you are not on a particular website, with the help of a notification you can get to know about the latest updates. However, sometimes they can be irritating too. In order to get rid of notifications and improve your productivity while working, follow the steps given below :
1. Open Cthe hrome browser and go to Chrome Settings. Copy “chrome://settings/” and paste it in the address bar of Chrome. Hit Enter.
2. Scroll down and click on Show Advanced Settings.
3. Now under Privacy, click on Content Settings.
4. Content Settings window will pop up. Scroll down to Notifications in that window.
5. To disable Chrome push notifications on the desktop for all the websites select “Do not allow any site to show notification“.
If you want to turn off notifications in chrome for a particular website(s) then click on Manage exceptions…
List of websites will be shown select the one for which you want to disable notifications. Click on Allow in Behaviour column, drop down will show you an option to Block. Select it and click on Done.
6. At last, whatever option you chose in step, Click on Done to save the settings under Content Settings window.
Configuring this setting you have successfully disabled Chrome notifications either for all the websites completely or for specific websites.
If you are disturbed by sounds from Chrome browser follow the guide to mute tabs in Google Chrome and fight reducing productivity.
Here are a couple of handpicked Google Chrome tutorials which might help you out.
Now, let’s move onto enabling desktop notifications for Facebook.
Turn On Facebook Desktop Notifications
1. Log in to your Facebook account and click on down arrow at top right corner.
2. From the drop down menu select Settings.
3. Under Settings click on Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. In Notifications notice Desktop and Mobile.
5. Click on Edit in Desktop and Mobile.
6. Click on Turn On.
Now if in this step, you get the message “Click the lock to give Chrome Permission to send you desktop notifications” then you need to click on the lock icon in address bar just before the starting of the URL also shown in the image below.
After clicking on lock icon click on the drop-down beside Notifications and select “Always Allow on this site” and click on Reload or manually reload the web page.
This additional setting you had to do because sometime earlier you might have blocked Facebook notifications.
Voila! Now even if Facebook is closed on your browser, your next message will be shown at the right bottom corner of your desktop screen.
You can always turn off Facebook desktop notifications whenever desired by navigating to the same steps and selecting Turn Off.
Few more Facebook guides which might be helpful for you.
That was all for this guide. Feel free to reach out to us in the case of any issues in the comments section.