WhatsApp being one of the most used apps on one’s smartphone also makes it the highest data consuming app. This is largely because of the memes that are shared in form of photos and videos. But you are not forced to sacrifice your valuable internet data to save unimportant media files. WhatsApp does allow you to prevent from saving the images/videos automatically. If you are not aware of this setting then here we have shared the steps to stop WhatsApp from auto downloading photos, videos and other file types on Android and iPhone.
Prevent WhatsApp From Saving Media Files Automatically on Android
1. Open WhatsApp and tap on the 3 dots at the top right corner and select Settings.
2. Next, tap on Data Usage.
3. Now, you will find different options under Media auto-download section.
- When using mobile data
- When connected on Wi-Fi
- When roaming
You can set different options for each one of them separately. For now, let’s tap on When using mobile data.
4. Uncheck all the options – Photos, Audio, Videos and Documents by tapping on them if they are checked already. Tap on OK to save the changes.
Similarly, you can prevent auto-saving when connected to Wi-Fi as well.
Stop WhatsApp From Auto Downloading on iPhone
1. Launch WhatsApp and select the Settings tab at the bottom right.
2. Now, tap on Data and Storage Usage.
3. Under Media Auto-Download section you will be able to set the preferences for the different type of files.
For the sake of this tutorial let’s tap on Photos.
4. To stop the auto-download tap on Never.
You can do the same for other file types.
With this, the next time you receive a photo or video it won’t download until you tap on it to initialize the download.
If you happen to use WhatsApp calling a lot then you can lower data usage on that too. Follow the steps here.
We hope that stopping auto download on WhatsApp will help you save a lot of data. What do you think?