As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Good speed is a must while you are using a PC. Slowing down or freezing of the computer makes the user quite frustrated and furious, and when it becomes a regular habit of your PC, it is time to do something about it. In spite of having the high-end configuration of the Windows PC, you might face the problem of Windows 7 getting slow. There can be many reasons for the slow speed like Hardrive related problems, viruses, internal settings and so on. Keeping this fact in mind, here in this article we are going to show you some methods using which you will be able to speed up Windows 7.
10 Fixes To Speed Up Windows 7
1. Disable Startup Applications
Actually, when Windows boots it loads lots of applications and make them run. But among those applications, only a few are needed which are essential for Windows startup. The unnecessary applications can slow down the Windows PC and should be disabled. Here’s how you can do it.
1. Type msconfig in “Search programs and files” box under the Start menu and press ENTER.
2. Now a System Configuration window will open. Click the Startup tab. Here you can disable the applications by unchecking them.
2. Clean Hard Drives
You can clean your Hard Drives by deleting the unnecessary files to free disk space and help in making Windows 7 faster. You can clean drives using Disk Cleanup.
1. Go to Start and in search bar type, Disk Cleanup, and then click Disk Cleanup displayed in the search items list.
2. Now a Disk Cleanup window will open where you have to select the drive for which you want to perform the disk cleanup. Select the files to delete and click OK button. After that, click on Delete Files to perform the operation.
3. Change Power Settings To Favor Performance
This option when enabled may use a little bit more battery, but it will surely speed up Windows 7 performance.
1. Navigate to Control Panel and then select Power Options under it.
2. Under Power Options, click on Create a Power Plan option given at the left and choose High Performance option, as shown in the screenshot.
Suggested Read: How To Turn Off Laptop Screen Without Sleep
4. Error Checking For All Hard Drives In Windows
Error checking is done to check Windows for damaged files that slow down the drive access speed and thereby slow down the whole Windows speed. The below process may take several minutes or more to complete error checking.
1. Head to particular Drive, Right-click on it and select Properties.
2. Now select the Tools tab and click the Check now… button under Error-checking. Refer to the below screenshot.
Suggested Read: Repair Hard Drive Errors With CHKDSK
5. De-fragment All Drives To Speed Up Windows 7
The de-fragmentation method reduces the number of fragments in drives. The defragmentation process may improve the speed of hard drives significantly. It is recommended that defragmentation should be done at least once per week. It is a time-consuming process and can take several minutes or hours depending on the size of the drives.
1. Similar to the Error-checking method, go to a particular drive, Right-click on it and select Properties.
2. After that, select the Tools tab and click the Defragment now… button under Defragmentation as shown in the screenshot below.
6. Delete Temporary Files To Make Windows 7 Faster
Temporary files are used to support the application for a limited period of time and later on, they are not used. Deleting temporary files will free a lot of space, hence increase the speed.
Navigate to “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp” or type “%temp%” in Run and hit Enter.
And delete all the files in this folder. That’s it.
7. Run Fewer Programs At The Same Time
A lot of pressure piles up on your system when you run lots of programs on your device. If your device is old and not much advance, you should not be surprised to see your computer hang while running dozens of programs at once. So it is advisable to run only those programs at times which you think are important.
8. Turn Off Visual Effects
It is advisable to choose the performance over appearance. If you own an advance PC with much better configuration than this method may not fascinate you, but for people with quite old devices, this method may do wonders.
1. Using the Start button, navigate the Control Panel and search Performance Information And Tools.
2. Next, click on Adjust visual effects under Performance Information And Tools.
3. Finally, click on Adjust for best performance or simply let Windows decide by clicking on Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer, and click on OK.
You can also boost the speed by activating the troubleshoot and finding the actual reason for the slow speed.
1. Using the Windows search option search for Troubleshooting. (under Control Panel)
2. From the presented list of options, click on System And Security.
3. After that, click on Performance.
3. Now perform the Troubleshooting process by clicking on Next and find the main cause of the slowdown.
10. Check For Virus
Last but not least, you can scan your PC and check for the virus. This is one of the core reasons for the slowing down and freezing of the computer. Plenty of good anti-viruses are available in the market. Anti-virus will not only boost your system speed but also prevent any kind of data loss.
Suggested Read: What Is Processor Affinity And How To Set It On Windows
Speed really matters a lot while we are using our PC, as the decline in speed results in declined productivity. We hope that the various tips and tricks mentioned above will surely help you to speed up Windows 7. If your device doesn’t speed up even after testing these methods than maybe its time that you switch to the latest Windows version. If your PC is quite old then you should check out for the latest devices available in the market. If you find any difficulty in testing the above-given methods, feel free to ask us in the comment section below.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.