WhatsApp after testing the live location sharing for some time now has finally launched it. It’s not the first time users will be able to do that as the likes of the Facebook messenger, Google Maps and Messages on iPhone already have it. A few months back even Snapchat introduced it by the name of Snap Map. And this time around it is coming to WhatsApp, the most used instant messenger around the world. This guide will let you know how to use and share live location on WhatsApp from iPhone and Android devices.
What is WhatsApp Live Location?
WhatsApp has location sharing feature since a long time. But it is a static and a one-time location. Which means that you have to share it again when you move to a different place. On the other hand, live location tracks and shows you on the map as you move for the specified time interval. It is dynamic in nature and updates in real-time. Even when you are not using WhatsApp it will still keep your location updated on the map automatically.
So, let’s go ahead and see how to use live location feature.
Share Live Location on WhatsApp
Update to the latest version of WhatsApp from the respective app stores. Once done, follow the steps below.
I have used screenshots from the iPhone app but there isn’t much of difference for Android.
- Make sure to enable Location services on your device and allow WhatsApp to access it. If you are an iOS user then real-time location sharing won’t work in Low Power Mode so disable it before proceeding.
- Open WhatsApp and select the conversation of the individual contact or group with whom you want to share live location.
- Now, tap on the + icon(iOS) and paperclip/attach icon(Android) and select Location.
- If you are on the latest version then you will see a new option “Share Live Location“. Tap on it.
- Allow WhatsApp to access your location even when you are not using it.
- Next, it will ask you for the time until you wish to share your location. The available choices are 15 minutes, 1 hour and 8 hours. Select as desired. Add a caption and send it as you would do for any other message.
With this, your location will be shared for the time specified above with the selected contact/group.
You can always stop sharing before the selected time by tapping on Stop Sharing below live location message and confirming it.
While you are on a trip or on the way to your friend’s house, live location on WhatsApp keeps your contacts informed about your location. This feature is another weapon added to WhatsApp armory.
Don’t forget to share this article to let everyone know about this latest update.