Facebook launched secret conversations last year after WhatsApp, the instant messaging giant rolled out end-to-end encryption. Both are the same things with different names. In simple terms, Secret Conversation or end-to-end encryption for that matter means that personal conversations cannot be seen by anyone else on the planet other than the people participating in it. Even Facebook also cannot look into your chats even if they want to if you use Secret conversation. So, if you need to talk about some sensitive or highly confidential matter then it is sensible to use Secret conversations. Keeping in mind the benefits of secret conversation in this tutorial we share how to use Secret conversations on Facebook. And send Self-Destructing messages on Messenger in iPhone and Android.
Unlike WhatsApp, all the Facebook messenger chats/conversations are not end-to-end encrypted or Secret conversations so to speak. Facebook gives users a choice to have a normal conversation or secret conversation. It is highly likely that you are not using Secret conversations. So, here’s how you can make use of them.
How to Use Secret Conversations on Facebook
1. Open Messenger app on your smartphone.
2. Tap on the +(Compose New message) icon at the top right corner.
3. On the next screen, select Secret, you should find it at the top right corner.
4. Search for the friend you want to start a Secret Conversation with or select him/her directly from the list.
5. On selecting the friend you will see the following screen explaining a bit about secret chats and its features. Tap on OK to continue.
6. Type the desired message and tap on Send.
That’s all there is to it. If you navigate back to the messenger’s home screen, you will see another conversation with a lock icon in that list with the friend you selected above.
In future, you can select the conversation with the lock icon to send secret messages to that friend. Similarly, you can use secret conversations on Facebook messenger with other friends if desired.
Secret conversations also allow you to send self-disappearing messages on Messenger. In order to send them, follow the simple method mentioned below.
Send Self-Destructing Messages on Facebook Messenger
It is only possible to send self-disappearing messages on Facebook in secret conversation. You won’t find disappearing messages option in normal conversation.
1. To send disappearing message(s) select secret conversation with that particular friend or create a new one using the method above if you don’t have it already.
2. Under Secret conversation, type the desired message and tap on the timer icon to the right of message box field.
3. Select the time after which you want the message to expire and tap Done.
4. Once you are satisfied with the expiry time and message, tap on Send.
As soon as you send the message, the timer will start and on reaching the time you selected above, the message will destruct automatically.
To turn off self-destructing messages tap on the timer icon.
If you are an Instagram user, then the popular photo sharing app recently launched Self-Destructing photos and videos on Instagram Direct.
We hope that you were able to clear all your queries regarding secret conversations on Facebook. And started sending self-destructing messages on Facebook messenger without any hassle. If you think this article adds value then please share it with your friends on Facebook and while you are there don’t forget to like our page to stay updated with latest tips.