WebP images, a new format for images which provides superior quality with least compression of data on the web pages. These image formats are not much popular among other developers. But all of the Google products and even the Opera browsers support these format of web images.
While saving WebP images from these browsers or Google websites, you might have noticed it saves the images as WebP format. These formats are great, but still, you will need a browser to open the saved images with these formats or else you won’t be able to access them. But if you want, you can save them in regular JPEG or PNG format and use them as a regular image. So, let us see how we can convert and save WebP images as JPG or PNG image formats.
What Are WebP Images?
WebP, as the name suggests is an image format created for the web pages and online contents. This format provides lossless and lossy compression for the images. Lossless compression means that once the file is compressed, you can still have the original data after decompressing it. While lossy means while compressing a file some of its data will be erased. The file can be decompressed but you won’t be able to recover the original data, which will be unnoticeable.
Convert And Save WebP As An Image With JPG/PNG Format
There are two methods to save the WebP images from your Chrome browser and some additional ones that can come in handy. All of them are easy to use, but still, I prefer the second method as it’s simple and quick.
- Here you can save any WebP images as JPEG or PNG formats by just editing the URL link. For that simply open the target web page with the image that you want to save. Here I have used the Google Play Store.
- Now right click on the desired image and select Open image in new tab.
- Once the image is open, click on the URL and edit it by removing the last three letters i.e -rw and hit enter. This will open the image again, but this time with the original format.
- Again click right on the image and select Save image as… Now you will be able to see the image will be saved as a JPEG or PNG format whichever is available.
- Click Save and the image will be saved with the selected format.
- In this method, you can avoid saving images in WebP format in Google Chrome using Chrome Extension. Go to the Chrome Web Store, search for Save Image as Type and install that extension or directly visit this link.
- Then, as usual, right-click on any image and you will see the option Save Image As Type.
- Hover the cursor on it and it will show the options to save the image in JPEG, PNG or WebP formats. Select from the desired formats and the image will be saved.
While the above methods are more than enough to save the WepP format images as JPEG or PNG formats, I will share another simple idea which you can try if you wish to. Just use any screenshot tools for Windows like Sniping Tool.
As most of the screenshot tools save the target image as PNG or JPEG you can use them for saving WebP images also. Select the desired image that you want to capture and save it. The only thing with this method is that you may always not get the desired image resolution or size as the original image would have. But it will surely work.
You can also use online converters like Cloud Convert which will help you to convert the saved WebP format images to JPEG. You can do batch conversions of WebP into JPEG of different files here easily.
All the methods mentioned above will help you to save the WebP images as JPEG or PNG. You can later use these saved images as regular photos and access them without the browsers. As mentioned earlier I prefer the second method, using the Chrome extension. This way you can save the images in the usual way without having to open or edit any other tabs. Which one do you prefer?