Have you been getting a lot of notifications lately on Twitter from anonymous accounts? If yes then you will be glad to know that it is now possible to mute Twitter notifications based on a few filters with the latest update on Android and Web. Apart from that, you can also mute notifications based on words mentioned in a tweet. In this tutorial, we will let you know how you can use the latest feature to mute notifications based on filters like profile photo, Email etc. And how to mute words on Twitter which is an existing feature on iOS/Android app and the Web.
If you are thrown off by tweets from particular accounts in your news feed then you can mute specific Twitter accounts. But muting accounts won’t stop notifications from them in Notifications tab. In order to achieve that use the options shared below.
Mute Twitter Notifications
So, let us first start with the latest feature rolled out for the Web and Android app to mute notifications.
Option 1: Mute Notifications from Anonymous accounts
Please note that currently, this setting is only available on the Twitter website and Android app. iOS users won’t find it.
1. Visit Twitter.com and log in to your account.
2. Click on your profile picture at the top right and select Settings and privacy.
3. Select Notifications on the left sidebar.
4. Under Notifications, you will see Mute Notifications from people with the following options.
5. Select the desired options and click Save Changes.
Twitter Android App
1. Update the app to the latest version and open it.
2. Tap on your profile photo and select Settings and privacy.
3. Next, tap on Notifications.
4. Select Advanced filters under Notifications.
5. You will have the same filter options which we saw above in web version. Select the desired ones.
With this, you can easily get rid of notifications from spammy, suspicious and unverified Twitter accounts.
Blocking/Muting notifications from users who have not verified their Email can go a long way in protecting your account from spam.
You can always change the filters at any time by unchecking them from the same location.
Also Read: How to find your First Tweet on Twitter
Option 2: Mute Words on Twitter
This option is available on all three platforms i.e. Twitter Website, Android and iOS App.
The steps to mute tweets based on specific words on Twitter remain fundamentally the same for the website as well as on the apps with slight changes.
Here I will mention steps and screenshots from the Twitter iOS app. If you know steps for iOS you can easily spot the setting for Android and the web too.
1. Open the Twitter app and go to your profile by selecting the Me tab.
2. Under your profile, tap on the Gear icon and select Settings.
For Android, tap on your profile photo and select Settings and privacy.
3. Next, select Notifications.
4. On the next screen, tap on Muted words.
5. Enter desired word for which you don’t want to get a notification if included in the Tweet. You can enter a hashtag or username as well.
6. Once you are happy with the word or phrase. Tap on Save.
Similarly, you add other words or phrases to mute notifications for them.
Also Read: How to hide Following on Twitter
Unmute words on Twitter
If you later wish to start receiving notifications for the muted words then use the same steps.
Under Muted words, tap on the Unmute icon to the right of the word you want to unmute. Confirm your decision by tapping on Yes.
With this, you will start getting notifications if that word is included in the tweets.
We hope that this article gave you enough options to mute notifications on Twitter. These options will definitely give you more control over your Twitter notifications. Share it on Twitter so that everyone knows about these Notification settings.
Have any thoughts? We would love to know them in the comments.