In this tutorial, you will get to know everything about mute on Twitter. How to mute Twitter account and notifications using Twitter for Web, Android or iOS App. What is the meaning of Mute in Twitter and what happens when you mute someone on Twitter?
Twitter has an option by the name of mute with which one can avoid irritating tweets from selected followers without blocking them. Let us go ahead and have a look how to mute Twitter followers or account.
Mute Twitter Account
Twitter For Web
1. Visit twitter.com from the web browser and log in using your credentials.
2. Click on three horizontal dots(More) at the bottom right of the tweet from the Twitter account you want to Mute.
3. Select Mute from the list of options.
1. Visit the Twitter profile of the account you desire to mute.
2. Under the profile, click on Settings(Gear icon) to the left of Following.
3. Select Mute from the options presented.
Twitter App For Android And iPhone/iPad
I will be using screenshots and method from the Twitter iOS app. However, the steps remain almost the same for Android as well with slight changes.
1. Select the tweet from the Twitter account you desire to Mute.
2. At the bottom right corner of the tweet tap on the three horizontal dots and select Mute.
1. Visit the Twitter profile of the account you wish to Mute.
2. Tap on Settings(Gear icon) under Profile and select Mute.
With these settings, you have muted the desired Twitter account. Similarly, you can mute other Twitter accounts if desired.
What Happens When You Mute Someone On Twitter
1. When you mute a user, their tweets and retweets won’t be visible on your Timeline.
2. Push notifications from that user will be disabled when they are on mute.
3. The user whom you have muted won’t get to know whether they are muted or not.
4. You will still get notifications from them in your Notifications tab.
Unmute Twitter Account
You have the option to unmute the Twitter account at any time you desire. It is simple and straightforward.
On Twitter for Web, visit the Twitter profile you wish to unmute and click on Settings(Gear icon) and Select Unmute or click on Unmute icon directly.
On the Twitter app, visit Twitter profile you want to unmute. Tap on Settings and select Unmute.
Mute Twitter Notifications
Have you been getting a lot of notifications lately on Twitter from anonymous accounts? If yes then you will be glad to know that it is possible to mute Twitter notifications based on a few filters from Android and Web. Apart from that, you can also mute notifications based on words mentioned in a tweet.
Option 1: Mute Notifications From Anonymous accounts
Please note that currently, this setting is only available on the Twitter website and Android app. iOS users won’t find it.
1. Visit Twitter.com and log in to your account.
2. Click on your profile picture at the top right and select Settings and privacy.
3. Select Notifications on the left sidebar.
4. Under Notifications, you will see Mute Notifications from people with the following options.
5. Select the desired options and click Save Changes.
Twitter Android App
1. Update the app to the latest version and open it.
2. Tap on your profile photo and select Settings and privacy.
3. Next, tap on Notifications.
4. Select Advanced filters under Notifications.
5. You will have the same filter options which we saw above in web version. Select the desired ones.
With this, you can easily get rid of notifications from spammy, suspicious and unverified Twitter accounts.
Blocking/Muting notifications from users who have not verified their Email can go a long way in protecting your account from spam.
You can always change the filters at any time by unchecking them from the same location.
Also Read: How to find your First Tweet on Twitter
Option 2: Mute Words On Twitter
This option is available on all three platforms i.e. Twitter Website, Android and iOS App.
The steps to mute tweets based on specific words on Twitter remain fundamentally the same for the website as well as on the apps with slight changes.
Here I will mention steps and screenshots from the Twitter iOS app. If you know steps for iOS you can easily spot the setting for Android and the web too.
1. Open the Twitter app and go to your profile by selecting the Me tab.
2. Under your profile, tap on the Gear icon and select Settings.
For Android, tap on your profile photo and select Settings and privacy.
3. Next, select Notifications.
4. On the next screen, tap on Muted words.
5. Enter the desired word for which you don’t want to get a notification if included in the Tweet. You can enter a hashtag or username as well.
6. Once you are happy with the word or phrase. Tap on Save.
Similarly, you add other words or phrases to mute notifications for them.
Also Read: How to hide Following on Twitter
Unmute Words On Twitter
If you later wish to start receiving notifications for the muted words then use the same steps.
Under Muted words, tap on the Unmute icon to the right of the word you want to unmute. Confirm your decision by tapping on Yes.
With this, you will start getting notifications if that word is included in the tweets.
We hope that this article gave you enough options to mute accounts and notifications on Twitter. These options will definitely give you more control over your Twitter notifications. Share it on Twitter so that everyone knows about these mute settings.
Have any thoughts? We would love to know them in the comments.