Did the videos in your Facebook news feed start auto playing with the sound turned on? Don’t be baffled as Facebook was testing out this setting for more than a month now. Finally, I got it on my iOS device today after updating the app to the latest version(83.0). The new setting is also available on Android for version 188.8.131.52.72 and later. In this tutorial, we will let you know about this latest feature introduced in Facebook app. And how to turn off sound for Autoplay Videos on Facebook iPhone and Android app.
Until now, if you have not turned off autoplay videos on Facebook then the videos in your news feed would auto play but with the sound turned off by default. To get the sound you need to tap on the video once. But things have changed now and if you have enabled autoplay videos then the videos will play with sound by default. You can tap on the volume icon to quickly mute the volume as shown below.
But what if you want the videos to autoplay with the sound muted by default as before? Fortunately, Facebook has provided an option to set default sound preference.
You can find them by following the steps shared below.
Turn Off Sound for Autoplay Videos on Facebook App
Stop Autoplay Videos Sound by Default on iOS app
1. Update to the latest version and open the app.
2. Tap on the Hamburger icon at the bottom right and select Settings.
3. Next, select Account Settings.
4. Select Sounds under Settings.
5. There is a new option included which says Videos in News Feed Start With Sound. By default, it will be ON. Toggle it to OFF and tap on the back icon at the top left to save the changes.
Close and open the app for the change to reflect. The videos will autoplay but without sound as you wanted.
Please note that this is only the default setting and you can always turn on the video sound if desired for a particular video by tapping on the mute icon on the video from the Facebook news feed.
You can always enable the sound by default for Facebook autoplay videos by following the same steps and switching ON Videos in News Feed Start With Sound.
Also Read: How to Share Video from Facebook to WhatsApp
Autoplay Videos without Sound by Default on Android App
1. After updating to the latest version, open the app.
2. Tap on the Hamburger icon at the top right and select App Settings.
3. Toggle Videos in News Feed Start With Sound to OFF. It will be under General Settings.
Go back to save the changes and restart the app for them to reflect.
Also Read: How to Add and Use Facebook Trusted Contacts
We hope that this article helped you to turn off the sound by default for autoplay videos on Facebook Android and iPhone app. If you found this piece of content informative then share it on social media with your friends.