As an Amazon Associate and affiliate of other programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can always hide a folder with the help of folder options in Windows. But what if you want to make an invisible folder so that even after showing the hidden files and folders it will not show up. For that, we have covered in this article how you can create an invisible folder, but it does have its pros and cons. The method is provided for both Windows 7, 8, 10 and as well as for Mac.
PROS: Even after showing hidden files and folders, the invisible folder will not be visible.
CONS: If you create an invisible folder, you have to remember in which directory you have created it as later it won’t show up even you have kept the hidden files and folders option on. You also cannot search the folder as it does not have a name.
Similarly, you can also hide any particular folder or create hidden folders on your Android devices. This becomes helpful when you have photos and videos that you wish to keep away from your friends and other people, but do not wish to delete them or save them on the cloud. That can also be done in just a few simple steps which we have mentioned. So let’s get started.
READ ALSO: How To Split Screen On Any Windows Version
Make An Invisible Folder In Windows 7 / 8 / 10
Creating an invisible folder is a two-step process. In the first step, you have to make the folder icon transparent and in the 2nd process, you have to rename that folder with no name. Below goes the method with screenshots.
- Create a folder by doing right click -> New -> New Folder.
- Now again right click on the created folder and select Properties.
- In Properties window, select the Customize tab and click on Change Icon… option. This will open a window containing lots of icons.
- Scroll to the right side and you will see some transparent or blank icons. Select any one of them and press Ok -> Apply -> Ok.
- As you have made the icon transparent, it’s time to make the folder without a name so that the folder will not be visible at all.
- So here is how to create a folder without the name. Right click on the folder and select Rename. Press Alt key + 0160 (numeric keypad), means keeping the alt key pressed and then from numeric keypad press 0160. This will make the folder with no name and makes the folder totally invisible.
As a Windows user, these tutorials should be quite handy for you.
Make Invisible Folder On Mac
You can also hide a specific folder on your macOS, and no one will be able to see it even if its right in front of their eyes, just like the above one. In order to do that:
- Firstly save this transparent PNG by right-clicking on this link and selecting Save Link As… on your Mac. After downloading it, open it in Preview and then from keyboard use the combo of command+A and command+C to copy it.
- Then head over to the desktop and create a new folder that you will be hiding. Name the folder nothing by pressing spacebar a few times and then hit enter. Here you can add all the files and other contents you wish to hide inside that folder.
- After this, right click on the unnamed folder and select Get Info.
- Now click on the folder icon as shown in the screenshot below and here paste the PNG file that you saved earlier by pressing command + v on your keyboard.
Then it will look like the image on the right, now you can close the Info window. And that’s it, now your folder is completely invisible from the desktop.
Once hidden, you can access it by clicking on the correct location of the folder. Once highlighted, you can easily open it.
Being a Mac user, we recommend you to check out these tutorials.
Create Hidden Folder On Android
The good thing about this method is that you will not need any additional application and the images and videos you add in this folder will be completely hidden from your Gallery and other multimedia applications. It will only be accessible through File Manager of the device, and you can even select whether to show that hidden folder or not. Let’s see how.
Hide Photos And Videos From Gallery And Other Multimedia Apps
- Head over to the File Manager on your Android devices. If your device does not have a built-in file manager then you can use from some of the best file managers. Now you can either create a new folder or use any of the existing folders that you wish to hide.
- You can add all the photos and videos that you wish to hide from the gallery of your device into a folder.
- Then all you have to do is rename that folder with ‘.‘(dot) at its beginning. For e.g if the folder name is ‘abc’ then name it as ‘.abc’. Refer to the screenshot below.
- As soon as you do that, you will see the folder will be hidden. And the content inside it will no longer be seen in the gallery.
Now to access that hidden folder from the Gallery, you will need to enable the option to show hidden folders. To do that, head over to file manager settings and then turn on the option Show hidden files. In some of the file manager apps, you will find it inside Display settings. Then go back to the directory where you created the folder and it will be visible there.
For all the Android geeks, these tutorials are handpicked by us for you.
This was all about creating an invisible folder in Windows and macOS. And also to create a hidden folder on Android devices to hide photos and videos. How often do you need to hide folders and information on your devices? Do these methods help you out? Let us know in the comments below.