People looks to password protect their drives and folders in the system but do leave to protect the most important thing that is the browser. It happens with a large number of people that they forget to log out of their email accounts, social networking sites and other important accounts which other user should not see. It’s very important to lock the browser as other will not be able to access your account and see your browsed sites. In this article I have explained how to lock Google Chrome browser with a password.
How to lock Google Chrome with inbuilt Password Protection
Google Chrome provides inbuilt password protection for its users. With this built-in password protection, you will be able to lock your Chrome browser without remembering an extra password as it uses your Google account password.
- Open Google Chrome, type “chrome://flags” in the address bar and hit enter.
- Now press ctrl+f key and paste “New profile management system” and press enter.
- Click on the drop down and select Enabled.
- Next, at the bottom you will find “Relaunch Now”, click on it.
- Sign In to your Google account by clicking on a button left to the minimize button.
- Next, click on Wrench icon on top right and then click on Settings. In Settings page look for “People” and click on Add person.
- Now check the checkbox for “Control and view the websites this person visits” and click on Add.
- Click on the account button next to the minimize button of chrome browser. You will see a lock icon (Exit and childlock), click on lock icon whenever you want to protect your browser.
- Now whenever you switch between profiles, you will be asked for the password of your Google account.
READ ALSO: How to reopen closed window in Google Chrome
How to password protect Google Chrome using Extension
This is the simplest and easiest way for the users to lock their Google Chrome browser with a password for inactivity. Everytime you close and reopen the browser, you will be asked to enter the password.
- Open Web Store in Google Chrome and type PassBrow in the search box. Or directly go to this link.
- Now add the extension to Chrome by clicking on ADD TO CHROME button. It will ask for confirmation, click on Add.
- Once the extension gets installed, it will directly ask you to set the password for your Chrome browser. If it didn’t prompt for the password, then you can set the password using the steps mentioned below “Note” point.
- After setting the password, if you let your browser inactive for a particular time your browser will get locked.
- You can also set auto-block feature to automatically lock the browser after certain time interval.
Note: If you want to change the password, you can do that as mentioned in below steps:
- In Chrome browser, click on wrench icon at top right corner. Click on Settings.
- In the Settings page, click on Extensions on left side panel, it will list all the installed extensions on Chrome.
- Look for PassBrow and click on Options. It will take you to a new page where you can set the password.
The above two methods will help you out to lock Google Chrome with a password. It’s recommended to use the 1st method as there is no need to install the extension and no need to remember an extra password for your browser.